Growth plates

CDN_Cocker

Growth plates

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 am

Just curious about this one - I have heard people talk about the front knee/elbow/leg straightening or changing when a dog's growth plates close. Does anyone have a link to pictures of what this looks like before and after or know more about what they are talking about? No reason really, just interests me.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

dog dr

Re: Growth plates

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:40 pm

only time I really see this is when one of the growth plates of either the radius or ulna (the 2 bones between the elbow and carpus) close early, either due to injury or defect. the other growth plate is okay, so that bone keeps growing, and that makes the leg crooked. usually the legs will bow in or out, sometimes severely. it can usually be fixed surgically, if caught early.

MonsterDad

Re: Growth plates

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

dog dr wrote:only time I really see this is when one of the growth plates of either the radius or ulna (the 2 bones between the elbow and carpus) close early, either due to injury or defect. the other growth plate is okay, so that bone keeps growing, and that makes the leg crooked. usually the legs will bow in or out, sometimes severely. it can usually be fixed surgically, if caught early.
Yep, and here that will run you 10k at least. I have a friend that just went 24k in the hole on hip replacement.