Lameness

Casper

Lameness

Post by Casper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:40 pm

I have a now 7 year old lab that has been a fine dog but has now developed lameness. The only thing that happened prior to her favoring her left hind leg was we were working on some fetching drills and a few hours after that I knowticed her limp. I shined it off thinking it was from the lack of conditioning and was just a minor sprain or a sore foot. It has been a few months now adn she still favors the smae leg on a regular basis. After she has been able to get up and move around a bit it seems to relax some where she will put downward pressure on it but a hard sprint will cause favoring again. She does not exibit any pain, maybe some discomfort but nothing that has caused great concern for a vet visit.

Is there any way of me bending and flexing her leg to find the source to help determine the cause?

I know I should take her to the vet but he is goign to want to check things in the same order I want to before exrays.

I am kinda fearing displaisa and want exrays to be the last resort.

If it ends up being ligament/tendon and surgery is required what are the chances of full recovery?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Casper,

All you are going to get is opinions from everyone that responds and you still won't know a thing till you take her to the vet and find out what is the problem. I don't think there is a thing you cqn do other than make sure it isn't something in the foot and after this long I'm sure it isn't.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I know ezzy but i was hoping "dogdr" would chime in :wink:

FWIW

snip

Post by snip » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:57 pm

You may have a partial torn cruciate, which may not heal without surgery. Best to have a vet check it.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:44 am

I agree with snip, the partal ACL tear would be the first thing I would be worried about, especially since it has been a couple montha with no improvement.