Dog foot

diplomat019

Dog foot

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:57 am

Im looking for a healthier dog food. None with nasty chicken by- products and corn. Id like to keep it around. $2 perlb. You got any suggestions on whats good for he price. Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog foot

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 am

Most any feed you decide to use should meet your price requirements though many of them will probably cheaper. Any time you take the top two ingredients out of a performance feed it should be cheap as well as unable to provide the required nutrient level for an active dog but would still be fairly healthy for a couch potato.

Personal preference is a by-product of a rather free country but it will not be the best or healthiest food for your dog. Good luck in your endeavor. You would be wise to follow the results in feeding test as well as what your piers are using to provide the energy that their performance dogs eat. Base your choice on results and not what you think is best.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

Nutrisource by Tuffy's.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Most any feed you decide to use should meet your price requirements though many of them will probably cheaper. Any time you take the top two ingredients out of a performance feed it should be cheap as well as unable to provide the required nutrient level for an active dog but would still be fairly healthy for a couch potato.

Personal preference is a by-product of a rather free country but it will not be the best or healthiest food for your dog. Good luck in your endeavor. You would be wise to follow the results in feeding test as well as what your piers are using to provide the energy that their performance dogs eat. Base your choice on results and not what you think is best.

Ezzy

How reserved..LOL
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm

diplomat019 wrote:Im looking for a healthier dog food. None with nasty chicken by- products and corn. Id like to keep it around. $2 perlb. You got any suggestions on whats good for he price. Thanks
When did these become nasty? We fed our hunting beagles those nasties for 40 + years and they were terrific, healthy, high energy hunting dogs. Don't ever remember seeing a vet except for rabies shots in those days. For me , the proof is in the pudding. :) I've fed my trialing/hunting setters Pro Plan Performance for 23 years and have no complaints.

as Bird dog 98 said "The dogs at the National Championship (3 hrs) eat dry dog food, good enough for me......I don't think many dogs expend more energy than that, and they are built like brick #($% houses :D
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Erikcooper

Post by Erikcooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm

The rule I've gone by is a high quality food will not have and by products listed as the first three ingredients. I use diamond lamb and rice puppy formula right now. It doesn't have a by product in it at all. Some diamond foods do however. I always check the ingredient list. As far as price. Most diamond products at my local tractor supply are close to $1/lb

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Canidae, which now has their own plant making most of their products.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks sharon. Ill look into pro plan. Fyi. I did the gun intro like you recomended. It worked great. Wasnt shy at all with the 12 ga.

Casey. Awesome. Ill look into that as well. Do they ship?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Check PetFlow for delivery.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:14 pm

diplomat019 wrote:Thanks sharon. Ill look into pro plan. Fyi. I did the gun intro like you recomended. It worked great. Wasnt shy at all with the 12 ga.

Casey. Awesome. Ill look into that as well. Do they ship?

That will be $100.00 please. :lol: :wink:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Diplomat, where are you located?

Edit: I see now NY.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm

sharon- hahahahha. 100 well spent!

cooper- im in dutchess county. you?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 pm

diplomat019 wrote:sharon- hahahahha. 100 well spent!

cooper- im in dutchess county. you?

I just started using a company that delivers Pro Plan, Nutri-source and Tuffy's in bulk with free shipping. However they do not service NY.

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Wellness Core grain-free @ ~$2.25/lb is what I feed my GSP. Her breeder fed Diamond, and within a week of the switch her coat became shinier & her skin less dry.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com has a wealth of info

I was surprised to see how low they rate some of the foods I thought were top notch.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 pm

chevyrulz wrote:Wellness Core grain-free @ ~$2.25/lb is what I feed my GSP. Her breeder fed Diamond, and within a week of the switch her coat became shinier & her skin less dry.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com has a wealth of info

I was surprised to see how low they rate some of the foods I thought were top notch.
Yeah, that dentist really knows his dog food.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:50 pm

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com Hmmmm. They are exempt from being "lobbied" by dog food companies. ) Grain of salt advised.

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:35 pm

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ & http://www.petfoodratings.org/ are 2 more great resources if you care to verify dogfoodadvisor.com

there's tons more ratings @ the petco or petsmart websites and even more websites with info can be found @ consumersearch.com/dog-food/reviews

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't know how anyone rates the feed I buy, nor do I care. I know it came highly recommend by a few people I trust (not Casey Ezzy) and that all four of my dogs do well on it, so I'm good, I don't need the Internet to tell me how good it is.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

CAMO303

Post by CAMO303 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 am

I feed blue buffalo. Corn free no by products. Although I'm a rookie and have no prior exsperence to compare with. It came recomended to me by someone I trust. It's in your price range. And promotes DHA for brain and eye development, antioxadents for health and calcium for strong bone development. Don't see a lot of people talk about it on here.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 am

Diamond naturals is what I feed my weim. He was having ear infection problems and the vet said to switch his protein. I bought the Whitefish and sweet potatoes variety. His ears are clean now and he still has the same energy level. Its about $36 for a 28 lb bag.

I only hunt my dog once every 2 weeks from mid October until late January. I do run with him 5 miles a day and once a week we go for hike without him on a leash and he basically "hunts". I'm not sure that that food would sustain a 3-4 day a week hunting dog.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 am

Vartz04,

Just an FYI.. Costco carries Nature's Domain salmon & sweet potato. It also has white fish too. 35# bag for $33 here in California.
http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/abo ... a-for-dogs

Might be more cost effective for you.

I have been feeding their Turkey & Swet Potato for several years with excellent results.