Exceed or Kirklands

windswept

Exceed or Kirklands

Post by windswept » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 am

I'm feeling like I am just plain paying too much for my dog food and am contemplating a change.
Costco is finally opening in my town and my intention is to try either Kirkland's or Exceed from Sam's Club.
This change could cut my feed bill in half.
Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks

Quaildawg

Re: Exceed or Kirklands

Post by Quaildawg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Windswept, I fed pro plan for many years. I switched to kirkland brand two years ago after some research. I really like it. My dogs do very well on the food on and off the hunting season. The price is also a very good plus ($28 for 40lbs bag) You can compare dog foods on www.dogfoodadviser.com . It claims to be an independent dog food rater. Let me know what you think.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Quaildawg wrote:Windswept, I fed pro plan for many years. I switched to kirkland brand two years ago after some research. I really like it. My dogs do very well on the food on and off the hunting season. The price is also a very good plus ($28 for 40lbs bag) You can compare dog foods on http://www.dogfoodadviser.com . It claims to be an independent dog food rater. Let me know what you think.
The dog food advisor you are linking us to is written by a dentist. From the things he has written over these years I sometimes question if he would know a dog if it bit him.

I would rate the site somewhere close to zero if you are looking for nutrition knowledge.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:39 pm

This decision to switch to something less costly is motivated by a visit I made to a breeder in another state with about 10 dogs. This is a breeder of working dogs and is feeding a product that many of us would consider substandard. Her dogs look great and are thriving on it. It was a real eye opener for me. Unfortunately, I cannot get the food she is using in my area.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 pm

I fed exceed for years with good results, then they started playing with the formula, raising price, the producer changed, it was unavailable at times....so i switched to diamond and have not looked back..... For what its worth.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

reba

Post by reba » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I am feeding five dogs Kirkland (lamb) Two are GSP, two are ACD and the third is a rodent of some sort;-)=

The GSP's and one ACD hunt hard. I am presently on a 3 month bird hunting odyssey.

My dogs do very well on Kirkland.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:38 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I fed exceed for years with good results, then they started playing with the formula, raising price, the producer changed, it was unavailable at times....so i switched to diamond and have not looked back..... For what its worth.
The Costco dry feeds like Kirkland are made by Diamond.