Got bad stuff need help!!!

cole.nelson782

Got bad stuff need help!!!

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Well what I thought was a hot spot on my dog ended up be a five letter word fleas. I gave him a flea bath first thing this morning and when I get off work in the morning getting front line. My question is since I've never owned a flea is how do I get rid of them in the house I can't use foggers is there any other way?? I've herd of putting lemon juice on the coat of the dogs does that work too?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Got bad stuff need help!!!

Post by shags » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:35 am

We hadn't had any fleas for 20 years until a few weeks ago. I used a topical and got some Sentinel from my vet. Within a week, fleas were gone without any fogging or spraying indoors or outdoors.

It doesn't kill all the fleas RIGHT NOW but kills them as they jump on the dog. You'll notice fewer fleas each day and many of those will be sick.

You might need to stay with the program for a couple few months, depending on the scope of your flea problem. If you're in an area where fleas are are problem all year round, it might be something to use all the time.

Sentinel is a heartworm preventative and takes care of hook,whip, and roundworms, too.

Ask your vet to make sure your topical is compatible with the systemic drug.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 am

Don't like in a spot where fleas are common that's the crazy part. Here its very dry summers and cold snowy winter. I may consult a vet and see what I can get from them as far as treating the dog. Thanks

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 am

If you're getting flea bites on your ankles, then you probably need to treat the house. But, if it is just the dog, then you're probably fine with just washing the dog and using the frontline. A good vacuum job on the carpet will probably be o.k.for your house if it is just the dog that has the fleas.

The water in the bath rids the dog of the fleas that are on the body. And the frontline will kill the life cycle.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Haven't had bits but have seen a few on the couch.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Is there some reason you can't use an area spray?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Heading to town to look at them.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 am

Sprayed and powdered the carpet and got front line on the dogs!! Could not believe the price $56 for front line. Looked at pet meds its only 40.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 am

I've used the Walmart brand of topical, PetGuard or whatever. It's cheaper, it worked for me, and the dogs didn't have any sort of reaction to it.

To make topicals even more economical, I buy the giant breed size. Pull the juice out with a needle and syringe ( 4cc) and split between two dogs ( 2cc each). The giant size says for dogs up to 100# and my guys are 50# give or take a couple. There is quite a big weight range on the labels of all sizes, so being super accurate isn't a concern for me.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Diatomacious earth On the carpets ground on the animals will help with the Adults You will need something with IGR that will hep with the eggs
the adult fleas die pretty quick with any soap You can use tea tree oil in the shampoo or even dawn dish soap mix to help with the hot spot itching

Pet club has 50 pound bags of diatomacious earth for about 25 bucks
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Your beat defense is the IGR, either Methoprene or Nylar, which will last up to six months inside and keep the population from reproducing. There is a two week photostable concentrate from Martin's, I believe, but outside application of IGR is expensive because of required frequency. DE is useless as anything other than an undisturbed dust application in a dry area. The coat oil on dogs renders it useless fairly quickly.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Oh Ps on the DE around the horses livestock and kennels it has helped cut the flies a bunch not only dusting but also adding to their food.

in the bird pens it has helped there when used with regularity.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Oh Ps on the DE around the horses livestock and kennels it has helped cut the flies a bunch not only dusting but also adding to their food.

in the bird pens it has helped there when used with regularity.
And your average relative humidity is?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Lets just say Arizona is NOT a dry heat during July Aug and beginning of Sept maybe not as high where there is grass but You can google how long we are over the 55 point which they label Monsoon here.
So yes when it rains I simply redust main areas...But then you can google it to add to your database :roll:

Jaggerbush

Post by Jaggerbush » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:34 pm

If you put front line on your pet after a bath it will not be very affective. The frontline, advantix, etc. spreads thru the oils on your pet. If you wash your dog you wash away the oils. Just saying.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:08 pm

I have not yet applied the front line to the dog I bathed but did apply to my other dog that did not get bathed. I will not apply to the other dog until tomorrow.

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm

there's fleas all around my property, but none in my house or on my dog. Trifexis is not cheap, but it works great, even bi-monthly which is how I choose to administer it

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:33 pm

That's not humid at all...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

zrp

Post by zrp » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Comfortis from your vet will work much better than any of the topicals.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Adams makes a household/carpet mist that works great. http://www.adamsfleacontrol.com/products It has an IGR
Last edited by birddog1968 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:42 am

There is a time to call an exterminator. Next time get a flea/tick product on the dogs earlier, or maybe all year in Arizona.....April - Nov. here.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Arizona is simple as far as fleas and ticks are concerned compared to other states. Just keep a simple topical solution on the dogs and you should not see any fleas. I never had a flea out there.