Problem with rear legs Yellow Lab

Vman

Problem with rear legs Yellow Lab

Post by Vman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am

A customer brought me his 11mo. old Yellow Lab for some bird and gun introduction. I used pigeons first and the dog really didn`t show any desire to get or chase the pigeons. So I got out a chuckar and pulled some flight feathers and let the bird run around with the dog in pursuit. This got the dog excited and moving in the right direction. The dog Finally caught the bird and was carrying it around when we noticed the rear legs were like rubber. The dog laid down with the bird in mouth and tried to stand up and couildn`t. It tried several times to stand up and the legs just couldn`t do it. After a rest of about 2 minutes the dog tried to stand up again and it was very wobbly and was falling down. Right away we suspected bad hips. But I told him too not jump the gun, lets not assume anything.
I have never had a dog with bad hips or neurological problems, so I have no experience with this stuff. Is there anyone here that has had a problem such as this? Would thyroid cause this? He is taking the dog into his Vet for some tests but I thought I would ask here also.
Any input is welcome.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Problem with rear legs Yellow Lab

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am

Wouldn't be sugar would it?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

What are the EIC clearances on the parents?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:12 pm

What are the EIC clearances on the parents?
I am sure there were no EIC clearances for these pups. I told him too ask for an OFA number on both parents, rather than them saying the hips were certified. Certified by who or what? Feel bad for the guy as he has a bum dog at home and then turns around and gets stung again. But education costs money and he is getting his monies worth.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Maybe CNM ??

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Sounds like the EIC affected dog my buddy had.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:24 pm

ACooper wrote:Sounds like the EIC affected dog my buddy had.
+1, this is why back yard or breeders who don't do genetic testing should be avoided.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:47 am

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) does not just affect the rear leggs.

For a movie of EIC, click here http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mick ... /home.html

For a movie of CNM, click here http://www.labradorcnm.com/pages/site/0-frame_site.html
Last edited by Del Lolo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am

Isn't CNM a constant thing and the dog is affected constantly and is seen from an early age, where EIC is something comes on with excitement or exertion?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am

Sounds like EIC to me. I have trouble with direct links from the kindle. Copy paste this webaddress:
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mick ... /home.html

krakadawn

Post by krakadawn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm

I'd hate to diagnose over the net but that is a classic EIC response. The only way to rule it out is to do the test which is quite inexpensive. If it returns as clear or carrier then you can begin to look elsewhere for cause. If it returns 'affected', then you have your answer. I severely doubt that this is a hip issue.

We have been preaching(sorry to use that analogy) for awhile but some people are still breeding without any formal testing at all and some are still just doing hips and elbows. The world has changed in the last few years at least testing in the dog world has.

As 'the trainer' you need to be very aware of this condition....just think what would have happened in the water!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Vman wrote:A customer brought me his 11mo. old Yellow Lab for some bird and gun introduction. I used pigeons first and the dog really didn`t show any desire to get or chase the pigeons. So I got out a chuckar and pulled some flight feathers and let the bird run around with the dog in pursuit. This got the dog excited and moving in the right direction. The dog Finally caught the bird and was carrying it around when we noticed the rear legs were like rubber. The dog laid down with the bird in mouth and tried to stand up and couildn`t. It tried several times to stand up and the legs just couldn`t do it. After a rest of about 2 minutes the dog tried to stand up again and it was very wobbly and was falling down. Right away we suspected bad hips. But I told him too not jump the gun, lets not assume anything.
I have never had a dog with bad hips or neurological problems, so I have no experience with this stuff. Is there anyone here that has had a problem such as this? Would thyroid cause this? He is taking the dog into his Vet for some tests but I thought I would ask here also.
Any input is welcome.
Vet.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 am

update?

frontline

Post by frontline » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 pm

No need to see the vet if it is EIC and it sounds like a typical collapse. A lot of vets haven't heard about EIC. EIC test is $65 at the Univ. of Minnesota, they are the ones that discovered the gene mutation. Contact them and they will send out some cheek swabs, you send them back and results are sent to you.. http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/cani ... /home.html Turnover time is 3-4 weeks. Other DNA labs were doing the test until the patent took effect. This is a test that should be done on all labs that are used for breeding. It's easy to avoid producing dogs that will be affected by selective breeding.. When purchasing a lab puppy be sure to ask the breeder for proof of this test.

Additional information on this test: "This test was developed through financial support from the AKC Canine Health Foundation. To date, proceeds from EIC testing at the University of Minnesota have returned more than $100,000 to the AKC Canine Health Foundation to further its mission to improve the health of all dogs. Drs. Mickelson, Patterson, and Taylor, and Ms. Minor are the patent owners of this genetic test, a portion of the proceeds go toward patent royalties."

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 am

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:16 am

Update, I seen the owner and he says everything is fine, it was just a fluke thing he says :roll: I think be is afraid to find the real answer as it will be not what he wants to hear. But EIS sure seems to be what I seen.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Del Lolo wrote:For a movie of EIC, click here http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mick ... /home.html

For a movie of CNM, click here http://www.labradorcnm.com/pages/site/0-frame_site.html
Which video was your dog like ?