Adult food as puppy food

ibbowhunting

Adult food as puppy food

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:45 am

In past posts I've read it is very common to feed adult food with a little water to soften it to a puppy instead of feeding puppy chow, my ? is I feed a performance 30/20 and I also feed in the off season 26/16 which one should I feed my new Brittany pup 8 weeks old and how much

Garrison

Re: Adult food as puppy food

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:24 am

Either will work. How much, don't let him get fat and don't let him get skinny.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

frontline

Post by frontline » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 am

Both foods that you listed are rated as ALS (All Life Stages) and are really the same as puppy foods. A true adult food is rated for adult maintenance only.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:50 am

Read the bag. Not the pretty picture side. The other side, with all the little writing. I get your question on a daily basis from clients and they are always astounded at the fact that the information is readily available. Most people don't want written instructions to follow. The want an argument or, at least, a discussion. Not necessary. It's all on the bag.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:08 am

I feed Pro Plan Sport (30/20) from the first time puppies are fed softened/blendered food. It is an all ages food that prevents the need to switch. At 8 weeks my pups are typically eating 1.5-2.25 cups a day divided into three feedings; morning, noon, evening. As they grow and their exercise levels increase, their intake increases. Keep an eye on body condition and stool output to determine if feeding too much or not enough.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:35 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:I feed Pro Plan Sport (30/20) from the first time puppies are fed softened/blendered food. It is an all ages food that prevents the need to switch. At 8 weeks my pups are typically eating 1.5-2.25 cups a day divided into three feedings; morning, noon, evening. As they grow and their exercise levels increase, their intake increases. Keep an eye on body condition and stool output to determine if feeding too much or not enough.

Jay
Right on. Your dogs and puppies are the only one's that can answer that question and you it is up to you to understand what they are telling you. IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG BUT JUST WHAT EVER IT TAKES.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
SwitchGrassWPG wrote:I feed Pro Plan Sport (30/20) from the first time puppies are fed softened/blendered food. It is an all ages food that prevents the need to switch. At 8 weeks my pups are typically eating 1.5-2.25 cups a day divided into three feedings; morning, noon, evening. As they grow and their exercise levels increase, their intake increases. Keep an eye on body condition and stool output to determine if feeding too much or not enough.

Jay
Right on. Your dogs and puppies are the only one's that can answer that question and you it is up to you to understand what they are telling you. IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG BUT JUST WHAT EVER IT TAKES.

Ezzy
I think the world has just stopped spinning on its axis because I am agreeing with Ezzy on this one.

Well said, sir.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

SD44

Post by SD44 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Jay
We feed Pro Plan Sport as well. Works for my my two GSPs and is the only dog food that keeps the weight on them.
Cheers,
SD