Caloric requirements

CDN_Cocker

Caloric requirements

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Anyone know what the caloric requirements are for hunting dogs based on weight? Is there a calorie calculator for dogs out there?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Caloric requirements

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks Sharon. According to that calculator I should be feeding about 3 cups per day - I currently feed 2. 3 seems a bit much for a 30 lb pound pup though
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 am

Depends on the quality of the food. You will always feed more of a food with grain-based ingredients no matter what the label says on calories or the guaranteed analysis.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Thanks Sharon. According to that calculator I should be feeding about 3 cups per day - I currently feed 2. 3 seems a bit much for a 30 lb pound pup though
I thought it was on the heavy side too. Same old story: watch your dog's weight/form and decide what feed is needed. NO better way.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

frontline

Post by frontline » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 am

MonsterDad wrote:Depends on the quality of the food. You will always feed more of a food with grain-based ingredients no matter what the label says on calories or the guaranteed analysis.
Maybe "grain based" but not necessarily grain inclusive.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm

frontline wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Depends on the quality of the food. You will always feed more of a food with grain-based ingredients no matter what the label says on calories or the guaranteed analysis.
Maybe "grain based" but not necessarily grain inclusive.
Exactly, not trying to say grain free is better as there are plenty of good foods using grains.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 am

Sharon wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Thanks Sharon. According to that calculator I should be feeding about 3 cups per day - I currently feed 2. 3 seems a bit much for a 30 lb pound pup though
I thought it was on the heavy side too. Same old story: watch your dog's weight/form and decide what feed is needed. NO better way.
Watching the dogs weight seems to be the most logical approach, because even dogs of the same breed may require different amounts of feed because not all dogs even in the same breed have exact activity levels. Some are just more active due to genetics and the more active the more spent calories.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Like said above, Watch the dog. calculators are pointless and what the bag states to feed is only a starting point.