Treats! Treats! Treats!

jones.cody.m

Treats! Treats! Treats!

Post by jones.cody.m » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:36 pm

First post on GDF, and I can already tell you how grateful I am for the valuable advice I've read thus far. I am a beginner, and will be picking up my first Britt pup at the end of November (so excited).

I am still trying to figure out what direction to go with nutrition/etc, although I think I am going to give Blue Buffalo a shot for food. What I can't decide is this- what treats to use for training.

What treat do you use? Does it affect your dogs digestion? Price? What about chewing things around the house?

Thanks for the advice!

chevyrulz

Re: Treats! Treats! Treats!

Post by chevyrulz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm

jones.cody.m wrote:What treat do you use?
I use puppy size milkbone type treats. I don't give chewy treats, only crunchy.
jones.cody.m wrote:Does it affect your dogs digestion?
Nope.
jones.cody.m wrote:Price?
I get 'em @ Marshalls because they tend to have a variety of the fancy organic ones 1/2 off
jones.cody.m wrote:What about chewing things around the house?
leave lots of toys or keep a constant eye on the dog

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:38 pm

I would highly suggest that you continue feeding whatever food the breeder was feeding for a while. Then slowly transition the pup over to the new food. I would also suggest that you look at something other than Blue.

As far as treats go, I would use a piece of kibble as a reward. cheap and the pup is just as happy.

A pup should be supervised to avoid unwanted chewing. If you cannot be home with the pup, use a kennel. Lots of chew toys and a good beef knuckle from a butcher also help.

Good luck with the new pup. The price for advice is lots and lots of pictures. :wink:

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:50 pm

my vet recommended dehydrated duck and beef liver. I have found it at the pet supply stores. and I like the fact that it is natural. As far as blue buffalo, everyone has an opinion. I fed it to my GSP and she did good at home and couldnt keep on weight at the trainers. He swapped her to eukanuba premium performance and she keeps weight on, stool is consistant and her coat is really shiny. Good luck with your new pup and welcome to the forum.

john

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Also, I was warned by a couple vets to stay away from chicken and turkey treats. Cant remember the specific reason though.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm

jwnissen wrote:Also, I was warned by a couple vets to stay away from chicken and turkey treats. Cant remember the specific reason though.
cause most are imported from China and have been killing dogs for several years and the FDA can't figure it out but they won't ban them

purina let it go for months before pulling the plug on the Milos brand

royal canin labrador has giant donut shaped kibble those are good training treats

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 pm

We like cheese.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Mine go crazy for Bil-Jac liver treats. I get the tiny ones, so a bag lasts longer.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 am

Cajun Casey wrote:We like cheese.
We like cheese also.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Angus wrote: As far as treats go, I would use a piece of kibble as a reward. cheap and the pup is just as happy.
Exactly -- Why does a 'treat' need to be any different than a piece of food ?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

jwnissen wrote:my vet recommended dehydrated duck and beef liver.
john
Depends on what those critters have been fed.
The liver is a great place for toxic "stuff" to accumulate.
I'll feed my dogs livers from Grouse, Quail, Pheasant, but never from waterfowl ---- did you ever look at the livers of wilod ducks and geese ?--------------- YUK !

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

A piece of regular kibble is good for treating - certainly no worries there about throwing off the feed schedule/balance/digestion etc.

Picking a food from the advertising hype is much more about appeasing the conscience of the owner than about the well being of your dog. The general mode of operation is that the more you spend the better you will feel about feeding your dog. Get food with lots of "buzz words" in the marketing and you can feel zillions better about it.
In the end any of the mainstream premium foods will serve your dog very well.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I like a soft treat for training so I use Zukes Minis and homemade dehydrated liver bits. Natural Balance food rolls diced up small works well too. Small and soft treats make it easier to avoid accidentally luring versus rewarding.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
Angus wrote: As far as treats go, I would use a piece of kibble as a reward. cheap and the pup is just as happy.
Because, at times, the pup may not be that excited or care about a piece of kibble. I would say that in most cases it would work just fine, but in some cases, I like a treat to be a little more valuable as they say, like a piece of hot dog, liver, cheese, etc. That being said, I don't use treats a lot. Just sparingly in some early puppy training and then from time to time just because. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:25 pm

When we first started using treats hot dogs was the cats meow. We now use kibble because I guess I have just grown lazy and found that the kibble works for me.
Take a hot dog, cut it in slices 1/4" thick, cut each slice in quarters and then put in a baggie in the fridge. Each hot dog makes enough treats for quite a few days worth of training - high reward, low cost, easy availability and you can "treat" yourself once in awhile if you feel like it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 am

As for toys around the house, our new Pointer pup has a few that are his. He is also crated unless I am watching him - and I mean eagle-eye watching. Do not let the pup have a chance to pee or poop when he's in the house at all. Crate the pup when you need to take a shower or are cooking - whatever the thing is, if you're not watching him, he needs to be crated. For his safety (chewing wires or chewing something and swallowing something that will end in bowel obstruction) crating is the best way to eliminate unwanted chewing on stuff.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:08 am

birddogger wrote:
Del Lolo wrote:
Because, at times, the pup may not be that excited or care about a piece of kibble.

Charlie
That's what you get for not having a Lab. A Lab could eat a half-bag of food and still think he's hungry. :lol:

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 am

Angus wrote:
As far as treats go, I would use a piece of kibble as a reward. cheap and the pup is just as happy.
:
Same here... A free hand out is a free hand out

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:20 am

We use kibble for treats 99% of the time. Right before bedtime I will put some peanut butter on a slice of bread and cut it in two for the two dogs. Once they have their treat they are off to bed.

We use Nylabones for them to chew on. They last a very long time and will keep them occupied for a little while. When we can't watch them they get put in their kennels. Knock on wood we have only had one incident where our oldest GSP chewed on the base board at the top of the stairs. That's when we started using the Nylabones.
Cheers,
SD

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 am

Train when your dog is hungry the food won't matter. I have used the dogs regular kibble with some dogs. String cheese or hot dogs cut in 1/4 pieces is another easy favorite. I have also used the roll food too.

It's not so much what you use as how you use food treats. I was taught many years ago that food needs to be the 3rd reward, verbal praise first, physical praise second, food third. It all happens really quickly 1, 2, 3. Using food in that way when the dog learns a given behavior you can wean off the food and you always have the praise 1 & 2. When you stop the food completely you still have the praise. That method has worked for me since 1992.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Mine never consider his kibble a treat even when hungry, but I did find a dog food that was sold in a form of salami but it's probably closer to haggis, I would cut that into cubs and use it for his treats on the treadmill or other times when I wanted to use treats. Cheaper than cheese and I did not get the bad farts like with hot dogs, and more importantly the dog thought it was a treat.

I can't remember the exact name maybe Top Roll.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm

aulrich wrote:Mine never consider his kibble a treat even when hungry, but I did find a dog food that was sold in a form of salami but it's probably closer to haggis, I would cut that into cubs and use it for his treats on the treadmill or other times when I wanted to use treats. Cheaper than cheese and I did not get the bad farts like with hot dogs, and more importantly the dog thought it was a treat.

I can't remember the exact name maybe Top Roll.
Petco and Petsmart have them, Natural Balance rolls. They come in a big 5lb size I think.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Being he is in Alberta it is likely Rollover.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm

aulrich wrote: I did not get the bad farts like with hot dogs,
Isn't the dog supposed to eat the treat?

Seriously though, how much "treat" are you feeding? 1/5th of a hot dog in a day gives your dog farts?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Lickety Stick is the easiest and cleanest treat product I've ever used. It has an almost unlimited supply and fits easily in your pocket. Hot dogs and cheese work well but are messy. Dry treats often take a while for the dog to chew, and can become a distraction to the dog when they crumble and hit the floor.

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm

bonasa wrote:
Angus wrote:
:
Same here... A free hand out is a free hand out
The number 1 rule in treat raining is that there is no free lunch. The dog must earn the reward or you run the risk of rewarding the wrong behavior.

Nate

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't do treats as rewards,kinda seems like the same as paying your kids to get good grades.Sorry not happening here but JMO! :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm

MikeB wrote:Train when your dog is hungry the food won't matter. I have used the dogs regular kibble with some dogs. String cheese or hot dogs cut in 1/4 pieces is another easy favorite. I have also used the roll food too.

It's not so much what you use as how you use food treats. I was taught many years ago that food needs to be the 3rd reward, verbal praise first, physical praise second, food third. It all happens really quickly 1, 2, 3. Using food in that way when the dog learns a given behavior you can wean off the food and you always have the praise 1 & 2. When you stop the food completely you still have the praise. That method has worked for me since 1992.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

jones.cody.m

Treats! Treats! Treats!

Post by jones.cody.m » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Thank you for all of the advice! I picked up Abby this past Sunday, and she has already proven to be very smart. Look forward to starting training after the craziness of the holidays subsides.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I give my dogs Purina Pro Plan dog biskets and another major brand my vet carries which is low calorie. They also get some cheese now and then. If I have any type of meat, they may get a small nibble. No table scraps per se. No cleaning off of a plate into the dog bowl, ever.

I make them do something for every treat, each bite. It can be shake or lay down, whatever. But they have to work for food. That includes their meals. No free lunches. Nate knows what I mean.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 pm

slistoe wrote:When we first started using treats hot dogs was the cats meow. We now use kibble because I guess I have just grown lazy and found that the kibble works for me.
Take a hot dog, cut it in slices 1/4" thick, cut each slice in quarters and then put in a baggie in the fridge. Each hot dog makes enough treats for quite a few days worth of training - high reward, low cost, easy availability and you can "treat" yourself once in awhile if you feel like it.
You are too funny - usually :D I use kibble . They still think it's special.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett