What should I be feeding my 3 month old Shorthair pup

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 pm

And what did you feed your pup's? I already know the answer, for my pup at least, I am just looking for new ideas as what I am reading is different from place to place. I am currently feeding one third blue buffalo puppy food chicken flavor and about two thirds cooked meat, either pork, chicken, beef, or venison, with a sprinkling of gluten free oatmeal for fiber and some broth from the meat. The dogs energy, coat, and intelligence are all top notch. I would be curious to know why those who feed all dog food do so when meat can be had for less than the top notch foods and the cheaper foods are actually killing dogs in droves. Thanks

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: What should I be feeding my 3 month old Shorthair pup

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Use the search function and search raw. You will get all the info you want and then some.

No need to rehash this topic every other week.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I feed ProPlan Performance. The three month old pups seem to be doing as well on it as is their fourteen and a half year old great-great-grandmother.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm

ACooper wrote:Use the search function and search raw. You will get all the info you want and then some.

No need to rehash this topic every other week.
I wasn't looking for info, as I already know. What I am looking for is someone to convince me that puppies should not be eating real meat at least in part instead of all dog or puppy food. Bye the way, unless you kill an animal and feed that to your dog fresh, raw meat from any store has been exposed to all sorts of bacteria during processing and shipping that no mammal needs consume.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Both of my current dogs came to me on Pro-plan and I continued that for them both until I switched to Dr Tim's (due to pricing) last spring. They get raw meaty bones on a regular basis for teeth and for fun, but are otherwise addition/supplementation free.

IMO - puppies should continue on what they were fed by their breeder (assuming a good breeder, of course) unless circumstances do not permit it.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I feed ProPlan Performance. The three month old pups seem to be doing as well on it as is their fourteen and a half year old great-great-grandmother.
Perhaps I missed it, but I went to the Purina page, and could not find the list of ingredients in this particular food.
http://www.proplan.com/

PS. If you see a dog in a cornfield, it is most likely chasing a goose or deer, or some other bird or animal and not eating any leftover corn, as the deer and geese are.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Maybe you don't need info but neither do we it's been given to us enough the last few wks we don't need to hear it again & what gets me is all the info you 1 dog owners have for us that own multiple dogs,breed them,& have for many yrs.
You raw feeders need to start your own forum & tell each other how great you & your dogs are. :roll:

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:37 pm

PS. If you see a dog in a cornfield, it is most likely chasing a goose or deer, or some other bird or animal and not eating any leftover corn, as the deer and geese are.[/quote]

Are you telling us if you feed raw your dog can't go in a cow pasture?

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Labs4Me wrote:Both of my current dogs came to me on Pro-plan and I continued that for them both until I switched to Dr Tim's (due to pricing) last spring. They get raw meaty bones on a regular basis for teeth and for fun, but are otherwise addition/supplementation free.

IMO - puppies should continue on what they were fed by their breeder (assuming a good breeder, of course) unless circumstances do not permit it.
My breeder was excellent, and fed Science Diet, they gave me a small bag. I switched the pup to Blue and had no problems at all, and her droppings were no longer wet, but then I also added in roast pork and some gluten free oatmeal. If you do the math meat is not all that much more than a good dog food, I can't see feeding a carnivore corn under any circumstances, that would be like you shooting a deer and sticking your head in its gut and gulping down raw chunks of meat. Sick for a person, but actually quite normal for a canine carnivore.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 pm

pointstar do you really know where the dog would start eating a dead deer,cow,or anything else,I do & it's not meat!!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Quailcommando wrote:PS. If you see a dog in a cornfield, it is most likely chasing a goose or deer, or some other bird or animal and not eating any leftover corn, as the deer and geese are.

Are you telling us if you feed raw your dog can't go in a cow pasture?[/quote]

Not at all, but raw meat that has been processed in mass slaughterhouses contains many bacteria that are not normal to fresh meat. As for my point, no dog needs eat any amount of corn. Corn is in dog foods because it is measured in millions of metric tons in the USA and big dog food companies buy it for pennies and sell it for dollars as DOGS DIE.... Google it.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Maybe you don't need info but neither do we it's been given to us enough the last few wks we don't need to hear it again & what gets me is all the info you 1 dog owners have for us that own multiple dogs,breed them,& have for many yrs.
You raw feeders need to start your own forum & tell each other how great you & your dogs are. :roll:
You didn't quite express what you disagree with, I am not privy to your last weeks of whatever it was.

PS. Are you saying that a millionaire or any other person that only owns one dog needs to feed that dog a corn based bargain dog food because that is what a kennel who keeps it's dogs in cages feeds their dogs?

PSS. Dog food can kill your dog, it is happening right now
https://www.google.com/#q=dog+food+killing+dogs+2013

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm

pointstar wrote:
You didn't quite express what you disagree with, I am not privy to your last weeks of whatever it was.

Yes you are. Just read through the older topics. Something you should do before commenting on a forum anyway as a common courtesy. You could also use the forum search tool up top on your right.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm saying I have owned multiple dogs for over 40 yrs fed them nothing but kibble & have yet to have one killed by what it eats.Oh & besides a litter of pups my youngest dog is 5 Yrs old & go from there up to over 13 yrs.
I have 8 plus the litter of 6 pups,my 13 yr old dog still looks,acts,& hunts like a 7 or 8 yr old.My five yr old runs F trials which is very stressful,I have another 9 yr old FC.

Tell me how much meat is in road apples,cow patties,deer droppings,cats___t? & that's exactly where the dog would start eating the A Hole!!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I'm saying I have owned multiple dogs for over 40 yrs fed them nothing but kibble & have yet to have one killed by what it eats.Oh & besides a litter of pups my youngest dog is 5 Yrs old & go from there up to over 13 yrs.
I have 8 plus the litter of 6 pups,my 13 yr old dog still looks,acts,& hunts like a 7 or 8 yr old.My five yr old runs F trials which is very stressful,I have another 9 yr old FC.

Tell me how much meat is in road apples,cow patties,deer droppings,cats___t? & that's exactly where the dog would start eating the A Hole!!
Is that dog in the photo a GSP or English pointer? Bye the way, I have owned multiple dogs for over 48 years, never more than three at a time though, and none of them ever once slept in a cage, or ate corn. Are cages good for a dogs mental health?

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Labs4Me wrote:
pointstar wrote:

Yes you are. Just read through the older topics. Something you should do before commenting on a forum anyway as a common courtesy. You could also use the forum search tool up top on your right.
Technically there are some ten billion pages on the internet, and by researching them I can find any answer to anything I choose. Such as, is the World warming, I will find that the answer is yes, if I ask is the World cooling I also will find that that is true. When you have live discussion I at least get a real feel for the topic whatever it be, and it does seem that thee are ample people who feel the same way. The fact is that I would not have an animal here, if I needed help feeding it, responsibility must come before ownership and not after.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 pm

search this forum

for discussions on this forum

if you want to know what people on this forum have to say about the issue you initially said you wanted to know more about

however, since you have made it pretty obvious that you are trolling I'm gonna say buh-bye now

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

pointstar wrote: I wasn't looking for info, as I already know. What I am looking for is someone to convince me that puppies should not be eating real meat at least in part instead of all dog or puppy food. Bye the way, unless you kill an animal and feed that to your dog fresh, raw meat from any store has been exposed to all sorts of bacteria during processing and shipping that no mammal needs consume.

So you are looking for an argument? Why else would you post if you already know? Feed what you want, let everyone else do the same.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Pointstar,

You may as well know as of now some of the rules to follow if you want to remain on the forum.

There is no need for someone to come on to the forum and tell us you know everything but are wondering why the rest of us are stupid.

There is no need to come on without reading the posts that have been already posted on the subject you are interested in.

We do talk about dogs and not about people.

We do not always agree but we try to be civil in our disagreements

We also try to be honest since many of us have had dogs for years and have taken part in every activity that involves dogs

We also understand health and nutrition about as well or better as you do and we aren't asking for information. When we do which
happens quite often feel free to jump in with any pertinent info you have. Other wise it is best to cool it.

There is an old saying that it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool that to open it and prove they are right.

And last, it not be wise to tell everyone they don't know how to feed a dog, when they have proof running in their kennels and yards that they do. It is hard to argue with success and it is also very hard to prove that 99 people out of 100 are wrong.

Just something to think about. Hope you enjoy and pick up some pointers from a lot of very knowledgeable dog owners, handlers, and trainers and Vets that frequent this forum.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 pm

pointstar wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I feed ProPlan Performance. The three month old pups seem to be doing as well on it as is their fourteen and a half year old great-great-grandmother.
Perhaps I missed it, but I went to the Purina page, and could not find the list of ingredients in this particular food.

PS. If you see a dog in a cornfield, it is most likely chasing a goose or deer, or some other bird or animal and not eating any leftover corn, as the deer and geese are.
It is listed as Sport All Life Stages Performance 30/20. You obviously didn't put forth much effort. As far as cornfields, most are electrified and placarded these days. :D

You rather strike me as one of those marginal AR types whose mission is to spread discord by faulting everything anyone does. Dogs should not be in crates or outside or together or alone, ad nauseum. Do what works for you. I feel sorry for your dog.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 pm

ACooper wrote:
pointstar wrote: I wasn't looking for info, as I already know. What I am looking for is someone to convince me that puppies should not be eating real meat at least in part instead of all dog or puppy food. Bye the way, unless you kill an animal and feed that to your dog fresh, raw meat from any store has been exposed to all sorts of bacteria during processing and shipping that no mammal needs consume.

So you are looking for an argument? Why else would you post if you already know? Feed what you want, let everyone else do the same.
Because people have different opinions, I might find someone who has a better opinion and is also knowledgeable about dogs. I ask my vet for recommendations before purchasing a dry food, however I do not believe that 100 percent dry dog food is either the most nutritional or economical choice, as some meat cuts are cheaper than my dry food at $2.11 per pound. People are allowed to have different opinions, not to mention that what is good for a 20 or more mile per day hunting dog might not be good for say a Chinese Crested or Pug.

Should dogs eat raw eggs? The answer is no, then why did Purina run an ad for years showing the bright breeder whisking raw eggs and feeding that to a dog? The answer is that Purina only cares about their bottom dollar and the daily commodity price of the corn that they make into the cheapest dog food that they can, and people buy it along with their cigarettes and beer.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
pointstar wrote:

It is listed as Sport All Life Stages Performance 30/20. You obviously didn't put forth much effort. As far as cornfields, most are electrified and placarded these days. :D

You rather strike me as one of those marginal AR types whose mission is to spread discord by faulting everything anyone does. Dogs should not be in crates or outside or together or alone, ad nauseum. Do what works for you. I feel sorry for your dog.

I went to the Purina page, and the ingredients for the dog food in question were not listed, thus Purina has said all that needs be said.

Thank you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Look around and see if there is anyone you missed with your insults and lack of knowledge.
Pointstar,

You may as well know as of now some of the rules to follow if you want to remain on the forum.

There is no need for someone to come on to the forum and tell us you know everything but are wondering why the rest of us are stupid.

There is no need to come on without reading the posts that have been already posted on the subject you are interested in.

We also try to be honest since many of us have had dogs for years and have taken part in every activity that involves dogs

We also understand health and nutrition about as well or better as you do and we aren't asking for information. When we do which
happens quite often feel free to jump in with any pertinent info you have. Other wise it is best to cool it.

There is an old saying that it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool that to open it and prove they are right.

And last, it not be wise to tell everyone they don't know how to feed a dog, when they have proof running in their kennels and yards that they do. It is hard to argue with success and it is also very hard to prove that 99 people out of 100 are wrong.

Just something to think about. Hope you enjoy and pick up some pointers from a lot of very knowledgeable dog owners, handlers, and trainers and Vets that frequent this forum.

Ezzy
Just wanted to make sure you read this before you post again.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 0-formula/

Click on the tab that says "ingredients."

It's not rocket science :roll:

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Look around and see if there is anyone you missed with your insults and lack of knowledge.
Pointstar,

Ezzy
Just wanted to make sure you read this before you post again.
My vet did not recommend any Purina products, so argue with them if you choose, the products recommended were Science Diet which my breeder used, also recommended were Eukanuba which I fed my last two pups, and Blue Buffalo which I am feeding this one along with the meat and meat broth of the day. I also choose to add some oatmeal for the pups bowel movements. My wife makes jerkey treats out of beef heart and London broil, no Chinese import dog killing nonsense allowed.

Bye the way, this is the page that Purina buyers use... http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=corn

You are free to do as you choose, I do not see why what I choose to do is so important to you?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

:lol:

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Labs4Me wrote:http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 0-formula/

There is no such tab, there is a tab that shows guaranteed analysis on one page, not the ingredients, but here there is none and this is the main internet page for the food. http://www.proplan.com/dog-food-products/ Click any link on this page and you will not find the list of ingredients.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 pm

pointstar wrote:
You are free to do as you choose, I do not see why what I choose to do is so important to you?
Typical Troll post.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::lol:
Show me the genetic test that do not show English genes and I will be impressed. The German Shorthair is a foot hunters dog, no horse needed to follow. The English dogs are bred for use with horses.

Zeppelins were NAZI airships......used to bomb London, great name.

Look it up.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 pm

It may be for some, but thank you for trying. :)

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm

ACooper wrote:
pointstar wrote:
Typical Troll post.
Typical answer for someone who has no knowledge of the subject at hand, and feeds their dog corn and bone meal.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm

pointstar sent you a pm can you find it?? Oh & you just might set a record! :lol:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

Post the link then....... that is if you can really find it?

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

I think someone is playing a game. I find it hard to believe that anyone capable joining a forum is too stupid to follow a link :lol:

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:pointstar sent you a pm can you find it?? Oh & you just might set a record! :lol:

Pointstar is not nearly as motivated as the Zeppelin who owns Shorthairs, that look like English pointers and post links to Viszlas.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Labs4Me wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:

I think someone is playing a game. I find it hard to believe that anyone capable joining a forum is too stupid to follow a link :lol:
Then please post the link

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 pm

WOW!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:WOW!
I had one of those dogs, a wonderful and amazing animal, but not a true GSP. So yes I know what they look like, and what they do, I wish that the field trialers would form their own American Pointer club and try to get the new crossbreed recognized, and not pollute the GSP line as they now are. If you breed and do not know about this, then you should not be breeding.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:35 pm

another insignificant troll it is sad they have no life

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Is this real life?!? Just feed your dog, who cares what you feed it as long as you feed it. I see lots of dogs in my veterinary practice that would love to eat Ol'Roy and they are fat and happy. I see hunting dogs that do great on Dog Chow. Just feed your dog whatever makes your heart happy, hire a chef if you want. I feed my dogs what I want and they love their crate.

Peter

PS Where I come from its considered pretty bold to talk about someone else's dog, no matter what you think it looks like......

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Jagerdawg wrote:another insignificant troll it is sad they have no life
Why do you take the time to say that? And why do you say that?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm

He's hiding behind the web like most cowards he has nothing to say so I could care less,it won't last long1

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Should have know it was bogus when the OP mentioned "top notch intelligence" in a three month old shorthair. :mrgreen:

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:06 am

i went back and read "pointstar"s bio and all the posts under that name. there were alot of contradictions. one time there is a reference to his wife, another time to a husband; the bio says he doesnt hunt and that the dog doesnt hunt, but then a post talks about the woods of WI and MI, and the prairies of SD; lots of talk about e-collars for a dog that doesnt hunt. maybe hes referring to experiences with past dogs, but i think we have a troll that just likes to argue and talk about how misguided and ignorant we all are for not doing things the way he/she does. I will say this, i have enjoyed reading the back and forth on this one!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 am

I think he googled all his info because when I brought up F trialing he was gone for a short time then came back with dogs running to big for hunting dogs,running in front of horses,cross breeding,etc.He did that a couple different times.
He'd go off for several minutes then come back with something else,I noticed some of the same things you mentioned dog dr.I do know he started to sound like another troll that only lasted a day or 2 & suspect that's about as long as he is going to last. :D

steamer

Post by steamer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 am

Its the same person or few people just using a different screen name and ip address. Look around and you will see the same pot stirring crap on some of the other forums. Feed your dog what you want just stop telling everyone else what to feed.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 pm

^

Agreed. Same people/person. Identical way of engaging and arguing with others. Truly sad.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

pointstar wrote: however I do not believe that 100 percent dry dog food is either the most nutritional or economical choice, as some meat cuts are cheaper than my dry food at $2.11 per pound.
Did you take your $1.98/lb hamburger and dry it to the same moisture content as found in the $2.11/lb dog food before you compared price on the two?

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Why would you add oatmeal if you won't feed corn. I never did see a herd of dogs feeding in an oat field either.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm

smoothbean wrote:Why would you add oatmeal if you won't feed corn. I never did see a herd of dogs feeding in an oat field either.
Don't be logical now... :roll: