Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

pointstar

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Post by pointstar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

SetterNut wrote:What is the deal with all this BS on food.

This is a site that is full of people that care very much about thier dogs.
Some food may be better for some dogs. But its not like PRO Plan is designed to kill dogs :roll:

Go hunt with your dogs, ...... geez
No disrespect, but this site is also full of people that believe that dogs do better on a high grain diet. I find it amazing that so many people with hunting dogs, can't actually hunt any meat for them....

But then there are hunters, and then there are hunters.

CIAO

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 pm

pointstar wrote:I feed Blue Buffalo wilderness, it's animal protein content is higher than Dr. Tims, though Dr Tims seems to be a lot better then Purina Pro Plan.

Blue Buffalos rating here is a 5 http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... rness-dry/

Dr Tims rating is also a 5 star http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/

Top 5 ingredients of Dr Tims are, Chicken meal, brown rice flour, chicken fat, oat flour, dried beet pulp,

Blue Buffalo's top 5 ingredients are, Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, tapioca starch

Which is why my dog eats Blue and cooked meat.......

Actually, it's not. The animal protein in your kibble is around 64% and in Dr Tim's it is 94-96% and in Diamond EA it is 92%

There is a lot of protein in peas and alfalfa meal.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 pm

pointstar wrote:
Labs4Me wrote:Wow. Just.... wow :|

What % of the total protein is meat/animal based, genius?
That would depend on the meat of the day as it could be chicken, pork, beef, or venison. They all have different fat to protein ratios. Truth be known, you are playing a numbers game, as chicken and venison has been on canine menus for millions of years longer than dry kibble with it's marketing numbers.
So you test each piece of meat for it's fat to protein ration then?

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

pointstar wrote:

Some food may be better for some dogs. But its not like PRO Plan is designed to kill dogs :roll:

No disrespect, but this site is also full of people that believe that dogs do better on a high grain diet. I find it amazing that so many people with hunting dogs, can't actually hunt any meat for them....

CIAO
Should the dog go hungry on the days when the hunt is not successful?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:03 pm

:lol: Yeah my dogs only point corn stocks!! I pick the corm for them & it really saves on ammo! :roll: :wink:

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:07 pm

All duck and goose is for human consumption :lol: All in it's a little too expensive to feed to my dogs :lol:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

pointstar wrote:

CIAO
Perphaps you should frequent a different site?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:40 pm

I can not believe that anyone that knows anything about formulating a product thinks they can tell the formula by reading an ingredient list. Think we have talked about it and explained it a hundred times on this forum over the years and every few months here comes someone else who hasn't taken the time to read the past posts and he comes up with the same mistakes as the last one did.

Like some of you have said, probably just too lazy to look it up.

Will some one explain what is meant by 48% food and 48% meat? Give me an example how you would do that if you were formulating the feed?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Labs4Me wrote:
pointstar wrote:I feed Blue Buffalo wilderness, it's animal protein content is higher than Dr. Tims, though Dr Tims seems to be a lot better then Purina Pro Plan.

Blue Buffalos rating here is a 5

Dr Tims rating is also a 5 star

Top 5 ingredients of Dr Tims are, Chicken meal, brown rice flour, chicken fat, oat flour, dried beet pulp,

Blue Buffalo's top 5 ingredients are, Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, tapioca starch

Actually, it's not. The animal protein in your kibble is around 64% and in Dr Tim's it is 94-96% and in Diamond EA it is 92%

Whooly dufus, if a food was 94 to 96 percent protein that would mean that it was only 4 to 6 percent of both fats and carbohydrates combined.... You really need to check your facts....

The real content of Dr Tims Momentum Premium is here http://drtims.com/momentum/ Again Dr Tims Momentum is 35% protein, and 25% fat, while Blue Buffalo is 36% protein and 16% fat...... http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/wilderness-puppy

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I can not believe that anyone that knows anything about formulating a product thinks they can tell the formula by reading an ingredient list. Think we have talked about it and explained it a hundred times on this forum over the years and every few months here comes someone else who hasn't taken the time to read the past posts and he comes up with the same mistakes as the last one did.

Will some one explain what is meant by 48% food and 48% meat? Give me an example how you would do that if you were formulating the feed?

Ezzy
The guaranteed analysis of the ingredients are listed as proteins, fats and carbs on their pages as well as on ratings pages, try Googling it, or you can click the links that have been provided. It's not really hard.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:29 pm

pointstar wrote:
Labs4Me wrote:

Whooly dufus, if a food was 94 to 96 percent protein that would mean that it was only 4 to 6 percent of both fats and carbohydrates combined.... You really need to check your facts....

The real content of Dr Tims Momentum Premium is here http://drtims.com/momentum/ Again Dr Tims Momentum is 35% protein, and 25% fat, while Blue Buffalo is 36% protein and 16% fat...... http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/wilderness-puppy

Of fer....

Look, of the 35% protein 94-96% of it comes from animal sources in Dr Tim's. Of the 36% protein 65% of it comes from animal sources in BBW.

I cannot believe that needed to be spelled out.

In the final analysis, you are paying 2x more for a food that has 25%-30% less meat/animal protein than the more popular feeds among sporting/hunting dog owners. An expensive bag of peas with a pretty bag and good marketing doesn't impress me much.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Wrong again, as my dogs food contains 48% Blue Buffalo and 48^ real cooked meat of various sources. Thus your numbers only hold up if you are feeding only bagged dog food, which I never do.

Feel free to inform the FBI, CIA, Humane Society, and the NSA that I am feeding my dog 48% Blue Buffalo wilderness dry food, mixed with 48% real cooked meat, with a small amount of gluten free oatmeal and meat broth. Tell them that I am not going to stop either.

PS My dog just ate a pork meatball the size of a tennis ball....Tell them that too...!

Next.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 pm

pointstar wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I can not believe that anyone that knows anything about formulating a product thinks they can tell the formula by reading an ingredient list. Think we have talked about it and explained it a hundred times on this forum over the years and every few months here comes someone else who hasn't taken the time to read the past posts and he comes up with the same mistakes as the last one did.

Ezzy
The guaranteed analysis of the ingredients are listed as proteins, fats and carbs on their pages as well as on ratings pages, try Googling it, or you can click the links that have been provided. It's not really hard.
Quaranteed analysis has little to do with an ingredient list.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:53 pm

pointstar wrote:

CIAO

You need help.
Steve

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Labs4Me wrote:

Blue Buffalos rating here is a 5 http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... rness-dry/

Dr Tims rating is also a 5 star http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/

Why are peas a favourite feed source for cattle - high protein.
Funny how using corn gluten meal is taboo and peas/alfalfa isn't.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 am

pointstar wrote:
Labs4Me wrote:

No one can be this stupid and still type a complete sentence without doing so on purpose.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:25 am

Last edited by ACooper on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:25 am

pointstar wrote:...PS My dog just ate a pork meatball the size of a tennis ball

Of most importance....6s or 4s for that meatball swatting?

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 am

SetterNut wrote:
pointstar wrote:

CIAO

You need help.
One whitetail or moose goes a long way to feed a dog and it's family Steve, all one needs is a freezer.

PS. People who tie up birds, or clip their wings so they can't fly, (this is recommended here) and plant them in a field, then take their dog to that part of the field, so that their sad "bleep" excuses for hunting dogs can find them......Well some would say that these people are the ones who need help.

A real hunting dog feeds itself, and it's owner and family all.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am

pointstar wrote:
One whitetail or moose goes a long way to feed a dog and it's family Steve, all one needs is a freezer.

PS. People who tie up birds, or clip their wings so they can't fly, (this is recommended here) and plant them in a field, then take their dog to that part of the field, so that their sad "bleep" excuses for hunting dogs can find them......Well some would say that these people are the ones who need help.

It's taken awhile but...quack, quack.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 am

You are just throwing lame insults, for the purpose of frustrating me, and thus causing me to return the same lame insults, then when I do, I get kicked for behaving like you. I am familiar with the tactic, and quite frankly, it's beneath me.

PS. If you have anything to add to a nutritional discussion, you may add it now.

CIAO

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 am

pointstar wrote:You are just throwing lame insults, for the purpose of frustrating me, and thus causing me to return the same lame insults, then when I do, I get kicked for behaving like you. I am familiar with the tactic, and quite frankly, it's beneath me.

PS. If you have anything to add to a nutritional discussion, you may add it now.

CIAO
Let's see your hunting license.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:19 am

walkos5 wrote: Nor does eating that same kibble day after day.

Are you worried your furbaby is going to get bored with his food? You post some of the more humorous things I've ever read on this forum. I am down right enjoying the ridiculousness you and poinstar are posting.

Your google hand is strong!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 am

pointstar wrote: PS. People who tie up birds, or clip their wings so they can't fly, (this is recommended here) and plant them in a field, then take their dog to that part of the field, so that their sad "bleep" excuses for hunting dogs can find them......
And there it is, the proof that you know nothing about bird dogs, and are most likely an anti.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 am

pointstar wrote:
I hope you realize that using dogs to hunt whitetail deer is illegal in most of the US.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:59 am

slistoe wrote:
Labs4Me wrote:

Why are peas a favourite feed source for cattle - high protein.
Funny how using corn gluten meal is taboo and peas/alfalfa isn't.
Well isn't it obvious? The dentist told him corn is "bad" and the dentist gave his food from the shiny pretty bag a bunch of STARS! And STARS mean something is good! Just like in kindergarten :P

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 pm

pointstar wrote:

This really shows your ignorance about how and why we train hunting dogs to Handle the way we want, we do not train hunting dogs to hunt because that is something they are born with.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Grange wrote:
pointstar wrote:
I hope you realize that using dogs to hunt whitetail deer is illegal in most of the US.
But it is not illegal for a real hunter, not an internet fake, to feed whitetail or moose to a hunting dog in any state, it's excellent nutrition, even though the meat is a little lean, and 100 percent of dogs surveyed, preferred deer meat to corn kibble. The point is hunters, hunt meat, and have plenty extra for their best friend.

HMMM THAT WAS GOOD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm

whatsnext wrote:
pointstar wrote:

This really shows your ignorance about how and why we train hunting dogs to Handle the way we want, we do not train hunting dogs to hunt because that is something they are born with.
So are you saying that you tie up birds and or clip their wings so that you can teach your dogs to find birds that have been tied up and had their wings clipped?

The really sad thing here, is that any decent dog (even Roscoe P Coletrains Basset Hound, from the Dukes Of Hazard) can smell your scent trail right to where you hid the bird that you previously maimed, thus you have accomplished nothing, except in your mind.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:47 pm

pointstar wrote:
Grange wrote:
pointstar wrote:
But it is not illegal for a real hunter, not an internet fake, to feed whitetail or moose to a hunting dog in any state, it's excellent nutrition, even though the meat is a little lean, and 100 percent of dogs surveyed, preferred deer meat to corn kibble. The point is hunters, hunt meat, and have plenty extra for their best friend.

HMMM THAT WAS GOOD
What's wrong with her back?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

pointstar wrote:
whatsnext wrote:
pointstar wrote:

So are you saying that you tie up birds and or clip their wings so that you can teach your dogs to find birds that have been tied up and had their wings clipped?

The really sad thing here, is that any decent dog (even Roscoe P Coletrains Basset Hound, from the Dukes Of Hazard) can smell your scent trail right to where you hid the bird that you previously maimed, thus you have accomplished nothing, except in your mind.

The funny part is people like you think you're so smart you can fake your way into "looking" like a real hunter...

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:59 pm

I hope you realize that using dogs to hunt whitetail deer is illegal in most of the US.[/quote]

HMMM THAT WAS GOOD[/quote]
What's wrong with her back?[/quote]

Nothing, that is just how photography is, the photo is about her licking her chops
http://www.flickr.com/photos/105281199@ ... 820434703/

Her legs and back are as strong and fast as can be,

And I have 20,000 more photos where they came from...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 pm

[PS. People who tie up birds, or clip their wings so they can't fly, (this is recommended here) and plant them in a field, then take their dog to that part of the field, so that their sad "bleep" excuses for hunting dogs can find them......Well some would say that these people are the ones who need help.

A real hunting dog feeds itself, and it's owner and family all.[/quote]

This really shows your ignorance about how and why we train hunting dogs to Handle the way we want, we do not train hunting dogs to hunt because that is something they are born with.[/quote]

The really sad thing here, is that any decent dog (even Roscoe P Coletrains Basset Hound, from the Dukes Of Hazard) can smell your scent trail right to where you hid the bird that you previously maimed, thus you have accomplished nothing, except in your mind.[/quote]

The funny part is people like you think you're so smart you can fake your way into "looking" like a real hunter...[/quote]

Real hunters do not have to feed their dogs bagged corn.

CHEW TOY FOR A GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Why are you even in this forum you don't hunt? Can see you don't know anything about training what's your deal?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Okay, so you found a winterkill skull and your dog chews on it. That makes you an authority on food? No one cares what yout dog eats or chews on, really. Just as it is not your place to pass judgment on others' choices of food. They're dogs. The eat dog food. They live to be 12 - 15 years old, if they are lucky and not too stupid. They die. We get another dog. Or ten.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:30 pm

I would much rather see pictures of your dog, than read this drivel.

But that dog of yours is supposed to be a bird dog, lets see some picture of it on point, or retrieving, or something else constructive from all of this awesome nutrition you are providing. ...

Something like this.

Steve

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm

pointstar wrote: Real hunters do not have to feed their dogs bagged corn.
And how would you know? Did you search it on google?

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Real hunters do not have to feed their dogs kibble with corn in it, but most choose to. Instead of letting your feelings drive you toward letting a dentist tell you what to feed, you might consider listening to and learning from real hunters.

Why do experts feed what they feed? Because it works.

If you can take time out of your busy schedule of photographing your pretty pet to post here obsessively, you have time to go to a real trainer and actually work that dog. Get her doing what she was bred to do. If there is one thing I have learned over the past year it is that there is nothing as joyful for a dog as doing what it is bred and trained to do. Try it.... instead of sniping from the sidelines.

And if you're going to feed raw meaty bones to your dog you should avoid weight bearing bones of ungulates.

Here - since you insist on doing a home crafted diet there is a link on the side of the page which will be helpful if you don't want that roach to get worse.

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/myths-and-miscon ... -pet-foods

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:08 pm

ACooper wrote:
pointstar wrote:
Sharon wrote:I didn't realize life was this complicated.:-)
In reality it is about a 50/50 mix, with a teaspoon of oatmeal and some olive oil and broth, so I figure the first two main ingredients to be 48%, could be 49%....Actually it is simple, though more complicated than feeding corn meal in a dog food bag.
I didn't realize olive oil was part of a canine natural diet? Why feed it?
It's part of my dogs diet, because it is very healthy....
http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-he ... -olive-oil

Next

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm

SetterNut wrote:I would much rather see pictures of your dog, than read this drivel.

But that dog of yours is supposed to be a bird dog, lets see some picture of it on point, or retrieving, or something else constructive from all of this awesome nutrition you are providing. ...

Something like this.

Here are 48 photos to your 1..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/105281199@ ... 820434703/ Now she is still not yet 4 months old, but has already pointed at eight whitetails and a wild turkey as well as hundreds of little birds that were not tied up by a great hunter trainer for their dog to find.

The photo below, while not a great photo of the dog, was in fact a great point, as the dog was partly in a deer trail, that when I got behind her, I observed the whitetail moving off quickly, though she never budged. I have thousands of these, to your one.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: NO need for words!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: NO need for words!
A GSP on point holds it's tail straight back and one front foot up. Surly you can get a proper photo....... Or are there none

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Pointed at deer? And a real life wild turkey? What VZ you aren't impressed?
pointstar wrote:A GSP on point holds it's tail straight back and one front foot up. Surly you can get a proper photo....... Or are there none
Do they now?

Pretty pup, I'm sure she would make a good one if owned by someone else.
Last edited by ACooper on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:29 pm

You get more rediculous every post you make & don't have enough sense to know it.The sad part is your dog is going to end up in a bad situation because of your lack of knowledge. :(

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:30 pm

pointstar wrote:
A GSP on point holds it's tail straight back and one front foot up. Surly you can get a proper photo....... Or are there none
How many deer have you killed over her? Looks like she's on the right track.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:32 pm

ACooper wrote:
One of mine TREED a turkey once. :) Hope that dog gets tired of deer before some hunter puts a bullet in her.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 pm

ACooper wrote:
pointstar wrote:A GSP on point holds it's tail straight back and one front foot up. Surly you can get a proper photo....... Or are there none
Do they now?

Pretty pup, I'm sure she would make a good one if owned by someone else.
That is a poor example of a point as well, tail up and both feet down. Do you guys need help, or do your dogs just never point.. Because I have better photos than you and my girl is not even 4 months old. But then that's just how some dogs are.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 pm

OR lost or gored & stomped to death by a Pissed off buck or doe!! Get a grip man your deranged!

Some one help me I'm about to laugh myself to death!! This guy is a total FOOL!!
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

pointstar wrote: That is a poor example of a point as well, tail up and both feet down. Do you guys need help, or do your dogs just never point.. Because I have better photos than you and my girl is not even 4 months old. But then that's just how some dogs are.
I really laughed out loud at this... You know I was worried that being cooped up in crappy weather all day was going to be terrible. I've been highly entertained.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ACooper wrote:
One of mine TREED a turkey once. :) Hope that dog gets tired of deer before some hunter puts a bullet in her.
The odd thing is that bird hunters with wild and uncontrollable poorly trained dogs that have their FC titles, because they ran faster than another dog, actually believe that deer are a trash species, and that dogs should not be pointing them. The fact is that these fast ranging upland as they like to say because the dogs are scared of water dogs will not point a deer, they will chase it every time and thus must ALWAYS have a shock collar on like some nerds have in their avatar, because they are 100% uncontrollable without force, this is not a dog to be envied.