Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:28 pm

the other 4% of the food is olive oil and gluten free oatmeal. The dog food is Blue Buff puppy chicken, the meat is cooked and can be anything, chicken, beef, pork, or venison also adding a little broth from the meats. ?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am

I don't know, to tell the truth.

For me the problem is that I wouldn't know the actual fat/protein ratio.
I want my very active gun dogs to have around a 28-30 : 18-20 protein to fat ratio.
Additions of any kind make that requirement an impossibility for me to judge.

If it works for you , you can afford it, and your dog looks good/ healthy , then go for it. :)

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 0-formula/

( Click on the "Great Stories" link too. Fun video.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 am

Sharon wrote:I don't know, to tell the truth.

I want my very active gun dogs to have around a 28-30 : 18-20 protein to fat ratio.

If it works for you , you can afford it, and your dog looks good/ healthy , then go for it. :)

Sharon wrote:I don't know, to tell the truth.

Again Purina is the only dog food company that I know of that does not post the list of ingredients in it's food online, here is an online review that Purina is not challenging, because it is accurate.

The first ingredient in this dog food is salmon. Although it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, raw salmon contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost, reducing the meat content to just a fraction of its original weight.

After processing, this item would probably account for a smaller part of the total content of the finished product.

The second ingredient is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice. Aside from the caloric energy it contains, this item is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.

The third ingredient is canola meal, a by-product of canola oil production more typically used in farm animal feeds.

Although canola meal contains about 41% dry matter protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological value than meat.

And less costly plant-based products like this can notably boost the total protein reported on the label — a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

The fourth ingredient is oatmeal, a whole-grain product made from coarsely ground oats. Oatmeal is naturally rich in B-vitamins, dietary fiber and can be (depending upon its level of purity) gluten-free.

The fifth ingredient is animal fat. Animal fat is a generic by-product of rendering, the same high-temperature process used to make meat meals.

Since there’s no mention of a specific animal, this item could come from almost anywhere: roadkill, spoiled supermarket meat, dead, diseased or dying cattle — even euthanized livestock.

For this reason, we do not consider generic animal fat a quality ingredient.

The sixth ingredient is fish meal. Because it is considered a meat concentrate, fish meal contains almost 300% more protein than fresh fish itself.

Fish meal is typically obtained from the “clean, dried, ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish and fish cuttings” of commercial fish operations.1

Unfortunately, this particular item is anonymous. Because various fish contain different types of fats, we would have preferred to have known the source species.

The seventh ingredient is salmon meal, another protein-rich meat concentrate.

However, the controversial chemical ethoxyquin is frequently used as a preservative in fish meals.

But because it’s usually added to the raw fish before processing, the chemical does not have to be reported to consumers.

We find no public assurances from the company that the fish meal or salmon meal are ethoxyquin-free.

Without knowing more, we would expect to find at least a trace of ethoxyquin in this product.

The eighth ingredient is barley. Barley is a starchy carbohydrate supplying fiber and other healthy nutrients. Unlike grains with a higher glycemic index, barley can help support more stable blood sugar levels.

The ninth ingredient is brewers yeast can be a controversial item. Although it’s a by-product of the beer making process, this ingredient is rich in minerals and other healthy nutrients.

Fans believe yeast repels fleas and supports the immune system.

Critics argue yeast ingredients can be linked to allergies. This may be true, but (like all allergies) only if your particular dog is allergic to the yeast itself.

In addition, a vocal minority insists yeast can increase the risk of developing the life-threatening condition known as bloat. However, this is a claim we’ve not been able to scientifically verify.

In any case, unless your dog is specifically allergic to it, yeast can still be considered a nutritious additive.

What’s more noteworthy here is that brewers yeast contains about 48% protein, a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

From here, the list goes on to include a number of other items.

But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.

With four notable exceptions…

First, animal digest is a chemically hydrolyzed mixture of animal by-products that is usually sprayed onto the surface of a dry kibble to improve its taste.

Next, garlic oil may be a controversial item. We say “may be” here because we are not certain of the oil’s chemical relationship to raw garlic itself.

Although most experts favor the ingredient for its numerous health benefits, garlic (in rare cases) has been linked to Heinz body anemia in dogs.2

However, the limited professional literature we surveyed provided no definitive warnings regarding the use of garlic — especially when used in small amounts (as it likely is here).

In addition, we find no mention of probiotics, friendly bacteria applied to the surface of the kibble after processing to help with digestion.

And lastly, the minerals listed in many of these recipes do not appear to be chelated. And that can make them more difficult to absorb. Non-chelated minerals are usually associated with lower quality dog foods.

Purina Pro Plan Select Dry Dog Food
The Bottom Line

Judging by its ingredients alone, Purina Pro Plan Select dog food looks like an average dry product.

But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.

The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 30%, a fat level of 18% and estimated carbohydrates of about 44%.

As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 30% and a mean fat level of 19%. Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 43% for the overall product line.

And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 61%.

Near-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.

When you consider the protein-boosting effects of the canola meal, brewers dried yeast and pea protein (contained in some recipes), this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a below-average amount of meat.

However, it’s unfortunate the company chose to include menadione in its recipes. Without this controversial supplement and fewer plant-based proteins, we would have been compelled to award this brand a higher rating.

Bottom line?

Purina Pro Plan Select dry dog food is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of poultry or salmon as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 3 stars.

Recommended.

Please note some products may have been given higher or lower ratings based upon our estimate of their total meat content.

Special Alert

Rice ingredients can sometimes contain arsenic. Until the US FDA establishes safe upper levels for arsenic content, pet owners may wish to limit the total amount of rice fed in a dog's daily diet.

My dog will never eat that, nor any Purina product, though there is no law against people feeding their dog a diet of corn, rice and wheat that would suit a hog or chicken just fine.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 pm

you really need a life just saying

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow, we must have really dumb dogs not only do they LOVE Purina Pro Sport, AKA PPP, they have also eaten corn that was on the ground when we have been hunting. They have also eaten the cracked corn I spilled when feeding pigeons. They look great, are healthy, only vet bills besides shots have been for the antibiotics for wounds from feral cats they have fought/killed.
OK I'm done feeding the troll.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Purina posts their ingredients on-line. One simply needs to be capable of clicking on tabs to see them. I really cannot fathom how that is so difficult for some people.

http://www.proplan.com/

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 pm

"purina is not challenging, because it is accurate" :roll: :lol:

I've gone back and read that line several times today for a good laugh.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

High Voltage wrote:Wow, we must have really dumb dogs not only do they LOVE Purina Pro Sport, AKA PPP, they have also eaten corn that was on the ground when we have been hunting. They have also eaten the cracked corn I spilled when feeding pigeons. They look great, are healthy, only vet bills besides shots have been for the antibiotics for wounds from feral cats they have fought/killed.
OK I'm done feeding the troll.
My dog can swallow bones 1" long and does fine yet a chunk of corn cobb the same size could kill him, why is that?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Walkos a friend of mines Dobe Choked to death on a piece of raw liver yrs ago why is that? I had a dog that got hold of a fox skull that died from impacted bowels.why is that?

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Walkos a friend of mines Dobe Choked to death on a piece of raw liver yrs ago why is that? I had a dog that got hold of a fox skull that died from impacted bowels.why is that?
Too little info on the Dobe. What was his regular diet? How big was the liver and did he swallow is so fast because he was fed kibble for too many years and had no respect for real raw food? The fox skull is an easy one, the skull was more then likely sun dried like the bleached bones from deer and other critters that we sometimes see scattered throughout the forest. When the bones are dried for a prolonged period they loose their elasticity that fresh raw bones possess and can splinter causing bowl problems. That's why cooked bones are also bad for dogs. Sorry to hear about your dog but some things are out of our control.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Walkos a friend of mines Dobe Choked to death on a piece of raw liver yrs ago why is that? I had a dog that got hold of a fox skull that died from impacted bowels.why is that?
Sorry about your dog Vonzepp. We caught the impacted bowel in time with our Lab and the vet was able to do surgery to save her life. Fresh leg bone from a deer almost killed her.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Any dog consuming bones or corncobs or whatever is playing a bit of Russian roulette with megaesophagus.
That is not a good thing to experience.
Whether the swallow was by accident or by a dog being a dog is one thing.....owner induced or applauded, another.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I think I got taken hook line and sinker. :)

For me the proof is in the pudding. 50 years of Purina and no complaints. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:47 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sorry about your dog Vonzepp. We caught the impacted bowel in time with our Lab and the vet was able to do surgery to save her life. Fresh leg bone from a deer almost killed her.
Glad you were able to save your Lab. I'm not big on feeding weight bearing bones myself. All food sources have their drawbacks but some are just worth taking a little risk for such great returns. Doing your homework on what you feed also helps out a lot....

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Walkos my point is you have one frickin dog so you say that hasn't lived it's life yet so the end result of your perfect raw diet has NO CONCLUSION.I have owned not sure how many dogs over more then 40 yrs.
They eat kibble & not the most expensive on the market they live long lives,they perform,they very seldom go to the vet,except for emergencies I have friends that own & breed Show Dobes which I used to do they feed kibble moe expensive then what I feed but still kibble.
I'm not basing any of what I have seen on what dog food companies advertise in fact I read very little of it I base my opinions from what I see in my & others dogs not ONE DOG of my life.
MOST of it is BS just like all your BS.But what I feed works & I have fed most of the major brands at one time or another,never had a dog with food allergies.I have only fed 2 or 3 feeds over the yrs my dogs didn't do well on.
I guess you would even tell me your dog won't eat horse,cow,cat,deer or any other turds they find.

I'm done as long as I,We,feed into this garbage the loner it will go on.
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Any dog consuming bones or corncobs or whatever is playing a bit of Russian roulette with megaesophagus.
Whether the swallow was by accident or by a dog being a dog is one thing.....owner induced or applauded, another.

I was very recently shown a series of photos from a surgery on a raw fed mastiff - the dog died- where a large amount of undigested chicken bones had accumulated and caused a blockage and then a perf with subsequent infection.

Made me rethink my practice of giving RMBs to my crew. I'd rather brush and scale as needed than run that sort of risk.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Labs4Me wrote:I was very recently shown a series of photos from a surgery on a raw fed mastiff - the dog died- where a large amount of undigested chicken bones had accumulated and caused a blockage and then a perf with subsequent infection.Made me rethink my practice of giving RMBs to my crew. I'd rather brush and scale as needed than run that sort of risk.
If I fed my dog nothing but chicken with bones in, I would imagine his intestines would be a bit blocked too after time. Were you there to witness what the dog ate every day? Perhaps he also made a habit of eating cooked bones as well. Were other helpful foods added to the diet to help with digestion and passing? Was he fed nothing but chicken with bones in day after day? Again your another one leaving out too much info. Seems odd that just two weeks ago you were bragging how well your Lab was doing using natures tooth brushes. Thank goodness those kibble feeders set you straight...
Last edited by walkos5 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Labs4Me wrote:Purina posts their ingredients on-line. One simply needs to be capable of clicking on tabs to see them. I really cannot fathom how that is so difficult for some people.

That is a link to Purinas home page for the food, no ingredients there. If there is a link to the page where the ingredients are on, then you should be able to post that page as well...... However you can not, because it does not exist. We have been thru this before, and no one to date can post he link here, including you. I can get the ingredients, online, but Purina is ashamed of them. Here is a link to the ingredients of one type, that Purina will not provide http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... lects-dry/

Why does your dog not raid corn fields looking for corn, but will chase or point the animal every time.....?

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Any dog consuming bones or corncobs or whatever is playing a bit of Russian roulette with megaesophagus.
Well I don't feed my dog corn cobs but my revolver seems to be wearing out because all those bones seem to be working wonders for my dog...

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm

All bones are not equal, nor is the administering of them to dogs yet one often reads "feeding bones" and the plusses of that as being the operative phrase and thought...the details where the devil resides then falls behind the need to appear knowledgeable or the young Mr. Wizard of Dogs.
When some impressionable folks hear that and do not understand the problems that legitimately can result and thereby being careful in considering what pup gets fed, good dogs can suffer....possibly from MegaE.
Simply advising an action to be taken for the selfish purpose of support of a very self-focused agenda.....well, that is the height of irresponsibility.
It also indicates that Agenda trumps Dog.
That, is worse than the irresponsibility.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:32 pm

pointstar wrote:
Labs4Me wrote:Purina posts their ingredients on-line. One simply needs to be capable of clicking on tabs to see them. I really cannot fathom how that is so difficult for some people.

That is a link to Purinas home page for the food, no ingredients there. If there is a link to the page where the ingredients are on, then you should be able to post that page as well...... However you can not, because it does not exist. We have been thru this before, and no one to date can post he link here, including you.

And if you weren't trying to out lazy everyone you could go click the tabs as stated at http://www.prolplan.com and find the ingredients, they are posted plainly under a tab labeled... wait for it .... "INGREDIENTS".

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 pm

pointstar wrote:...Why does your dog not raid corn fields looking for corn, but will chase or point the animal every time.....?
On the other thread, the answer was was genetics, training and setter commonsense.....each would still seem to apply.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Walkos my point is you have one frickin dog so you say that hasn't lived it's life yet so the end result of your perfect raw diet has NO CONCLUSION.I have owned not sure how many dogs over more then 40 yrs.
They eat kibble & not the most expensive on the market they live long lives,they perform,they very seldom go to the vet,except for emergencies I have friends that own & breed Show Dobes which I used to do they feed kibble moe expensive then what I feed but still kibble.
I'm not basing any of what I have seen on what dog food companies advertise in fact I read very little of it I base my opinions from what I see in my & others dogs not ONE DOG of my life.
MOST of it is BS just like all your BS.But what I feed works & I have fed most of the major brands at one time or another,never had a dog with food allergies.I have only fed 2 or 3 feeds over the yrs my dogs didn't do well on.
I guess you would even tell me your dog won't eat horse,cow,cat,deer or any other turds they find.

I'm done as long as I,We,feed into this garbage the loner it will go on.
Don't get so angry, anger clouds judgment.. :P I choose to believe in science and nature not hear say on an internet forum by a group pre convinced no matter what that science or nature tells them. I have nothing against kibble feeders but I do against those who tell me they have more experience so that makes them right. I look at both sides of any argument so I can check facts and make informed decisions unlike some folks on this forum! :D :D

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Who's angry you guys amuse me!! :lol: Do both of you wear Hip Boots all the time??
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm

walkos5 wrote: I choose to believe in science and nature
Still waiting to see any of the so called "science" you believe in. As for nature, I shot a coyote yesterday morning eating the apples under my tree. I usually get one or two every year with that "bait". Good thing I shoot them because they are seriously messed up in the head, eating that fruit and all. They pass those genes on and the entire race of coyotes will die a slow and ugly death (according to your science anyway).

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Who's angry you guys amuse me!! :lol:
He thought I was angry when I pointed out the obvious to him as well.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:52 pm

ACooper wrote:
pointstar wrote:

That is a link to Purinas home page for the food, no ingredients there. If there is a link to the page where the ingredients are on, then you should be able to post that page as well...... However you can not, because it does not exist. We have been thru this before, and no one to date can post he link here, including you.

And if you weren't trying to out lazy everyone you could go click the tabs as stated at http://www.prolplan.com and find the ingredients, they are posted plainly under a tab labeled... wait for it .... "INGREDIENTS".
The person who can not do that is you, seriously, if you could do that and post the link as it is not on the page that you posted, then you could prove me wrong. It's not there, you could also copy the text and paste the ingredients here, why can you do neither of these things? I have been to the Pro Plan page, and the ingredients are not there, if there was a link to them, then there would be a page link for you to post. It's strange yes, but it is also true.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:All bones are not equal, nor is the administering of them to dogs yet one often reads "feeding bones" and the plusses of that as being the operative phrase and thought...the details where the devil resides then falls behind the need to appear knowledgeable or the young Mr. Wizard of Dogs.
When some impressionable folks hear that and do not understand the problems that legitimately can result and thereby being careful in considering what pup gets fed, good dogs can suffer....possibly from MegaE.
Simply advising an action to be taken for the selfish purpose of support of a very self-focused agenda.....well, that is the height of irresponsibility.
It also indicates that Agenda trumps Dog.
That, is worse than the irresponsibility.
Not so fast with the irresponsibility and self focused agenda, I also said lots of home work is necessary to make informed decisions on how to feed that dog. I would not recommend a new puppy chow down on a shank bone bigger then his head nor will I give my full grown Britt a small cooked pork chop bone. 1st science, 2nd nature then lots of research backed by facts. Again too much time and $ to throw a good dog cheap kibble.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:53 pm

One plus of a dog portion of a message board is in the available experience of others, capital E.
Not just in the nuts and bolts of some imagined best of dog ownership or hunting or, even, feeding but in the opportunity to benefit from the Time lived with dogs by those others, which can increase the odds of seeing a bunch of good ideas fail or falter.
Thankfully, many wish to share what they have lived.

It appears all too convenient to believe that the Internet offers that same Time but the nature of that beast is that much is clogged and clouded by an agenda of the poster along with the sheer volume of "stuff" that is the Internet.
It is possible to sift out the poor info and analogies but that takes an honesty often lacking in the exuberance in look-at-me youth.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:56 pm

walkos5 wrote:Not so fast with the irresponsibility and self focused agenda, I also said lots of home work is necessary to make informed decisions on how to feed that dog. I would not recommend a new puppy chow down on a shank bone bigger then his head nor will I give my full grown Britt a small cooked pork chop bone. 1st science, 2nd nature then lots of research backed by facts. Again too much time and $ to throw a good dog cheap kibble.

You should use the Reverse gear more often...it would prevent much embarrassment for you.
Perhaps, it would even bring a self-realization that your agenda drives your keystrokes before the brain is engaged.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I've always fed kibble. Does that mean I set myself straight? :lol: 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen proof that giving rmbs can be dangerous. Now I have. Talked about it with the member of my club this happened to. Decided risk outweighed benefit because there are other ways to get the same results. I'll just have to put a little more time-$-effort in. My choice for me and my dogs. Other people's mileage may vary and I don't really care.

Follow this link:

Now on the top of the black box center page there are tabs. Overview/Feeding/Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis/Reviews

Click on the one that says ingredients. My 4 yo granddaughter can do it. Literally. She just did it. Which begs the question....

Anyhow, click on the tab and what comes up?
INGREDIENTS
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
W-4461
My lab came home from her breeder on Proplan. It's a pretty popular feed. I'm happy with Dr. Tim's. It costs me a bit less to feed and as a bonus my girl stopped "dumping" during events. A relief to us both :lol:

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:02 pm

slistoe wrote:
walkos5 wrote: I choose to believe in science and nature
Still waiting to see any of the so called "science" you believe in. As for nature, I shot a coyote yesterday morning eating the apples under my tree. I usually get one or two every year with that "bait". Good thing I shoot them because they are seriously messed up in the head, eating that fruit and all. They pass those genes on and the entire race of coyotes will die a slow and ugly death (according to your science anyway).

well they may survive but they won't thrive ;)

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm

slistoe wrote:
Your always angry, and between you and your brother there's enough anger there to use as a new source of energy.. :lol: :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm

pointstar wrote: The person who can not do that is you, seriously, if you could do that and post the link as it is not on the page that you posted, then you could prove me wrong. It's not there, you could also copy the text and paste the ingredients here, why can you do neither of these things? I have been to the Pro Plan page, and the ingredients are not there, if there was a link to them, then there would be a page link for you to post. It's strange yes, but it is also true.
Are you for real and serious? You can't follow some links on a page to get to the ingredient list of the food you want to know about? Seriously???? Who is typing for you?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm

walkos5 wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Your always angry, and between you and your brother there's enough anger there to use as a new source of energy.. :lol: :lol:
I hope you are harnessing it.
Laughter is the best medicine. Pity in counterproductive though - it is draining my energy.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
walkos5 wrote:Not so fast with the irresponsibility and self focused agenda, I also said lots of home work is necessary to make informed decisions on how to feed that dog. I would not recommend a new puppy chow down on a shank bone bigger then his head nor will I give my full grown Britt a small cooked pork chop bone. 1st science, 2nd nature then lots of research backed by facts. Again too much time and $ to throw a good dog cheap kibble.

You should use the Reverse gear more often...it would prevent much embarrassment for you.
Perhaps, it would even bring a self-realization that your agenda drives your keystrokes before the brain is engaged.
You should be embarrassed that a Gent with so much professed wisdom and wit knows so little about what truly drives the k9 species. You are being a follower and that represents weakness as you and your followers try to rewrite the natural diet changing what nature has set in stone.

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Labs4Me wrote:I've always fed kibble. Does that mean I set myself straight? :lol: 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen proof that giving rmbs can be dangerous. Now I have. Talked about it with the member of my club this happened to. Decided risk outweighed benefit because there are other ways to get the same results. I'll just have to put a little more time-$-effort in. My choice for me and my dogs. Other people's mileage may vary and I don't really care.

Follow this link:

Now on the top of the black box center page there are tabs. Overview/Feeding/Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis/Reviews

Click on the one that says ingredients. My 4 yo granddaughter can do it. Literally. She just did it. Which begs the question....

Anyhow, click on the tab and what comes up?
INGREDIENTS
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
W-4461
My lab came home from her breeder on Proplan. It's a pretty popular feed. I'm happy with Dr. Tim's. It costs me a bit less to feed and as a bonus my girl stopped "dumping" during events. A relief to us both :lol:
Name the breeder...!

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

My lab's breeder?

http://www.candlewoodkennels.net/

and what she feeds is not a secret :lol:

http://www.candlewoodkennels.net/someth ... _mary.html

Where did your dog come from and what did its breeder feed?
Last edited by Labs4Me on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:28 pm

slistoe wrote:I hope you are harnessing it.Laughter is the best medicine. Pity in counterproductive though - it is draining my energy.

And you think I don't laugh at you and your brother...
Last edited by walkos5 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 pm

I choose to believe in science and nature not hear say on an internet forum by a group pre convinced no matter what that science or nature tells them. I have nothing against kibble feeders but I do against those who tell me they have more experience so that makes them right. I look at both sides of any argument so I can check facts and make informed decisions unlike some folks on this forum! :D :D

You have just described yourself perfectly.

Sorry you can't use your computer, have no basic knowledge so no place to actually start, and worse of all just can't open the mind to try and learn. God Bless as it seems you need more help than any here could provide.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Who's angry you guys amuse me!! :lol: Do both of you wear Hip Boots all the time??
Waders especially when discussing diet and nutrition with you and slistoe. Its a must because the brown gets way past the hips.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:54 pm

pointstar wrote:
The person who can not do that is you, seriously, if you could do that and post the link as it is not on the page that you posted, then you could prove me wrong. It's not there, you could also copy the text and paste the ingredients here, why can you do neither of these things? I have been to the Pro Plan page, and the ingredients are not there, if there was a link to them, then there would be a page link for you to post. It's strange yes, but it is also true.
Wrong again dippy... What's that middle tab say? Yeah I coulda posted the link but neh...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:45 pm

So you guys come on this forum I thought to learn how to train your dog but the only thing you have to say is about how all of us should feed our dogs because you have one dog & have more knowledge about what works & what doesn't then the other 99% of us.Your full of S---t & if that offends you TOUGH S--t!! :lol: :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Pointstar: You have to scroll down in a link.

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 8-formula/

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Sharon wrote:Pointstar: You have to scroll down in a link.

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 8-formula/
Sharon you let him out lazy you....

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Interesting, the tab selected on the page is dog food products, and the page is for advanced 28/18 formula, but if you click the preceding tab which is great stories, then click back to the dog food products tab, there is no longer any link to the same page that you posted, thus the link is broken or the first page is bogus, this is the page that you come back too, and the initial food is not even there. http://www.proplan.com/dog-food-products/

I wonder if Purina is actively participating in this thread in some way. So is corn gluten good for dogs and puppies? well I'm not a vet, but corn gluten is used as a weed killer https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=n ... s&tbm=shop

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:06 pm

I didn't realize life was this complicated.:-)

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Sharon wrote:I didn't realize life was this complicated.:-)
In reality it is about a 50/50 mix, with a teaspoon of oatmeal and some olive oil and broth, so I figure the first two main ingredients to be 48%, could be 49%....Actually it is simple, though more complicated than feeding corn meal in a dog food bag.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 am

Pretty sure Rooster Cogburn took a bag of corn dodgers when he went after Ned Pepper...that would speak highly of the value of corn.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:15 am

pointstar wrote:
Sharon wrote:I didn't realize life was this complicated.:-)
In reality it is about a 50/50 mix, with a teaspoon of oatmeal and some olive oil and broth, so I figure the first two main ingredients to be 48%, could be 49%....Actually it is simple, though more complicated than feeding corn meal in a dog food bag.
I didn't realize olive oil was part of a canine natural diet? Why feed it?