Purina pro plan puppy food

Tomb82

Purina pro plan puppy food

Post by Tomb82 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi I'm new to the fourm and picking up my first hunting pup this Saturday. He's a 4 month old springer and I'm getting him from doorcreek kennels in Wisconsin. The question I have is he is currently being feed pride food and I plan to switch him over to pro plan but not sure what type to get.
Thanks Tom

nanney1

Re: Purina pro plan puppy food

Post by nanney1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Keep him on the Pride that they're feeding for a while. If they give you some use it and then transition. Or buy a bag to start with. It worked for the breeder and your pup is on it now, so you may not need to change.

But to answer your question, I've fed Pro Plan Puppy, Performance, and Chicken and Rice to various pups and all have worked well. I wouldn't say one was any better than the other, but, if I had to pick one, I would just go the with the Performance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Pro Plan names are changing so much I'm having trouble sorting it out here in Canada

This is the one you want for year 1+ or - depending how the weight looks, , and further on if you work your dog hard.

LIke all dog food though , amount depends on how the dog looks - pinch an inch is too much imo

Click on nutritional info

http://www.purina.ca/products/dogs/pro- ... mance.aspx
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Tomb82

Post by Tomb82 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help this is all new to me! I would keep him on the pride it's just that it's not sold locally. There going to give me a bag so I can help switch him over to something else.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

If you aren't working the dog you will get good results from this pro-plan formula http://www.purina.ca/products/dogs/pro- ... -rice.aspx
IME not many folks actually work their dogs hard enough to really warrant the high protein/fat diet.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 am

I feed an all life stages high protein, high fat dog food with great results for years now; my six dogs are from six months to around fourteen years old. The pups' growth has been steady with no problems and the old ones are thriving. Using the one formula eliminated switching off puppy food to an adult formula and even with multiple dogs there aren't multiple bags in the pantry.
I use Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. I used to feed Pro Plan, but IME there was a lot of inconsistency bag to bag in color and odor. With EA every bag has been like the one before.
If you feed a hot formula, you will need to watch portions. Don't go by what's printed on the back of the bag; that's just a guideline. Monitor your pup's weight with your eyes and hands.
In my area EA is under a dollar a pound and PPP is well over that.

Good luck with your new pup :)

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:20 am

You can't get Pride where you live? A few years back there was a vendor at an event and I bought 2 bags of Pro Series 26/20 at about $.50lb.

I thought it was a good food for the limited time I used it.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 am

I get The Pride pro 26/20 for $24 50 lb bag. Puppy 30/20 $26 50 lb. My dogs do as good on it as anything I've fed & have have used them all at one time or another.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 am

IMO - If you absolutely must switch you should try sticking with a formula that closely matches the GA and ingredient list of the food the puppy was weaned onto. It looks like both the PPP puppy and the sport are fairly close to the Pride puppy.

Tomb82

Post by Tomb82 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for the help. I would have no problem continuing using the pride it's just that no one sells it around me. I'm sure I could order it online but if for some reason I had to pick it up I would like to be able to. I can get pro plan from the local feed store a quarter mile from my house. It's a bit more pricy there but atleast I can get it.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 pm

There is no point banging your head against the wall then. Get Pro Plan. There is a 28/18 now too.