Spaying older bitch

Karen
GDF Junkie

Spaying older bitch

Post by Karen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:33 pm

I have an almost 9 yr old Brittany bitch...great dog, 3 litters, now it's time to have her spayed. She's seemingly very healthy.

Is it worth paying twice the price to have her spayed by my "regular vet" with all the pre-op bloodwork associated with it, or is it such a routine thing, that I can take her to the local low-cost spay/neuter clinic? The clinic charges $150, my "regular vet" charges "around $300".
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

dog dr

Re: Spaying older bitch

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:13 pm

with a 9 yr old i would recommend the bloodwork, but its totally your call. I have spayed plenty of old dogs that did just fine, no troubles, but you never know. I guess the next question i have, is the "low cost spay neuter clinic" available for emergencies, or does your regular vet get to climb out of bed when you call :) ? :wink: :wink:

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Think of it this way... for the sake of 150 bucks why take chances? dog has been productive for you so why cheap out at this point.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm

dog dr wrote:with a 9 yr old i would recommend the bloodwork, but its totally your call. I have spayed plenty of old dogs that did just fine, no troubles, but you never know. I guess the next question i have, is the "low cost spay neuter clinic" available for emergencies, or does your regular vet get to climb out of bed when you call :) ? :wink: :wink:

LOL that is exactly why I pay my regular vet for annual visits, office calls, and any other work my dogs need. He is always willing to squeeze my dogs in for an appointment or emergency, he gives me lots of 'phone consults', answers all my emailed animal questions, and will cut me some slack in his payment policies if I need it. If he doesn't have the the info I need, he will make sure to contact colleagues who have the expertise. Saving a few bucks a year isn't worth giving all that up.
:D I heart my vet! :lol: :lol:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I use a different vet for all my spays and neuters - he's cheaper than the low cost shelter surgeries. I don't use him routinely for other things because he's 45 minutes away.

I just paid to have two beagles spayed (an adult and a younger beagle) - $55 for each dog. My local vet (who I do like a lot) charges $115 each for the same surgery. I'd rather go to my local vet, but with so many coming through (fosters and my own), I'd rather be able to spay twice the number even if it means going to someone other than my regular vet.

I don't know about the bloodwork - what exactly does the bloodwork show you before you do the surgery? Is it just an old dog panel or does it identify potential problems with anesthesia?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 am

The biggest things i look at as far as bloodwork is concerned is the liver and kidney function. these are important for processing the anesthesia. Also the red blood cell count and the platelet count, which tell you if their is a bleeding risk, and the white blood cell count that tells you if there is an active infection. Some places will even do a test to see if the dogs blood will clot sufficiently. its all totally optional at my clinic, but some places its mandatory.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks for the info dog dr
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit