Blue Commercials

claybuster_aa

Blue Commercials

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't be fooled! These folks are playing on your emotion. IMO dishonest deceitful advertising. "If you love them like family feed them like family", classic BS that does not do the dog justice. When I hear a company going after chicken by-product meal, that is an indicator the food they are selling probably is a terrible product and should be avoided. I think the best products out there are the ones with liberal inclusion of CBPM and they are the products delivering the most animal source proteins to your dog.
A good bird dog is always the right color

MonsterDad

Re: Blue Commercials

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 pm

It would be nice to find one with chicken by-product meal that does not contain artificial preservatives, GMO corn and some other nasty ingredients.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Here comes another post ranting and raving dog food :twisted: Let the war begin :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Never seen one. Don't waste my time on television. Most of the people who come in looking to buy Blue Buffalo based on the commercials are easy switches to something else based on price.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am

I saw one of them the other day, gal says her dog food had chicken meal as its first thing etc blah blah blah. Some folks shouldnt be allowed to own a dog..... ad that tv is there to get you o buy stuff you dont really need... you thought it was for entertainement I bet lol it is a brain washing instrument made to make you a better consumer :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Kind of a rebuttal to those commercials :)

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/feeding-39- ... 00646.html

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:37 pm

shags wrote:Kind of a rebuttal to those commercials :)

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/feeding-39- ... 00646.html
One of the best articles I have read. It hits the nail right on the head in so many ways. We see so often things people make up to worry about when there is no evidence or science behind their thinking. The hot one lately is genetically modified grains when we have been modifying them for years to better fit our needs and feed the world. And preservatives that have been used in such small amounts they do not effect the animal eating the feed but rather have protected our animals from some bad stuff that killed before the preservatives were used.

It would be nice if we never had to worry about all of the things that go on in this world but since we do thank God that we have the things we need to improve and safeguard our food supply. Coolers, packaging, preservatives, canning, drying, and many other methods that have been developed and tested here in our country all in the name of safety.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:14 pm

During the football game today a Blue Wilderness commercial had just come on...."inspired by the diet of ancestors". I decided to take a peek at some of the ancestral ingredients on their website:

Tapioca Starch,
Tomato Pomace
Alfalfa Meal,
Potato Starch,
Whole Carrots,
Whole Sweet Potatoes,
Blueberries,
Cranberries,
Barley Grass,
Dried Parsley,
Dried Kelp,
Yucca Schidigera Extract,
Oil of Rosemary,
Caramel

Also noteworthy off their website, (try not to laugh) they mention: "A sensible alternative to raw diets"!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Are you aware that Blue is recalling much of their feed. It has finally been found what was causing illness with a few deaths and it was discovered all of the dogs were being fed Blue and they found too high a level of Vit. D if I remember right. Might have been Vit.E but I don't think so. I didn't read the whole thing since I haven't seen it sold around here but we do get their silly advertisements.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:06 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Glad you found that Sharon but does seem strange when I just read it yesterday or the day before on the news. Once again seems you can't believe much of what you read, and nothing of what you hear.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:35 am

ezzy333 wrote:
1. The hot one lately is genetically modified grains when we have been modifying them for years to better fit our needs and feed the world.

2. And preservatives that have been used in such small amounts they do not effect the animal eating the feed but rather have protected our animals from some bad stuff that killed before the preservatives were used.

Ezzy[/quote]

1. We have ?
How about plants that have BT genes ? Do you like feeding your dog pesticides ?

2. It's quite likely that some of these chemical preservatives have a cumulative effect, rather than being a rapid onset poison.
No long term studies have been performed on this aspect.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 am

I have absolutely no problem feeding or eating it and haven't for years. I do think it is killing me though as I seem to be getting weaker, having some trouble walking, and losing a lot of friends.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have absolutely no problem feeding or eating it and haven't for years. I do think it is killing me though as I seem to be getting weaker, having some trouble walking, and losing a lot of friends.

Ezzy
At least when you die, you probably won't rot :P

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I have absolutely no problem feeding or eating it and haven't for years. I do think it is killing me though as I seem to be getting weaker, having some trouble walking, and losing a lot of friends.

Ezzy
At least when you die, you probably won't rot :P
ROFLMBO - very good!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:33 pm

There are two kinds of genetic engineering 1) Responsible and Cool and 2) Completely Stupid. BT Corn is #2.

The Pink Dole Pineapple is #1

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 pm

MonsterDad wrote:There are two kinds of genetic engineering 1) Responsible and Cool and 2) Completely Stupid. BT Corn is #2.

OK glad you clarified it for those of us that are not as capable as you. Changing the color of a pineapple is good, changing a grain so we can reduce the amount of chemicals we have to use in our environment, increase yields, and reduce the amount of fuel we use to produce a crop is stupid.

Wonder if you should re think this.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm

ezzy333 wrote: changing a grain so we can reduce the amount of chemicals we have to use in our environment, increase yields, and reduce the amount of fuel we use to produce a crop is stupid.

Ezzy
Corn that contains a pesticide (Bacillis Thuringensis) is exactly what I want to eat and feed to my dogs. :roll:
Last edited by Del Lolo on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm

OK the next question is what part of the plant is it found?

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:53 pm

ezzy333 wrote:OK the next question is what part of the plant is it found?

Ezzy
The genes. (Thus the term Genetically Modified)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:07 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: changing a grain so we can reduce the amount of chemicals we have to use in our environment, increase yields, and reduce the amount of fuel we use to produce a crop is stupid.

Ezzy
Corn that contains a pesticide (Bacillis Thuringensis) is exactly what I want to eat and feed to my dogs. :roll:

Bacillus thuringensis is a naturally occurring soil organism that produces a protein that happens to be harmful to the larvae of the corn borer worm. I'm pretty sure you and your dog have eaten worse things.

Look, if you don't want to feed your dog gmo corn or other things found in common kibble then don't; you have every right to feed something else. You also have every right to tell others why you don't like those things and to try and enlighten them about your ideas on nutrition. But when you do it in such a condescending and facetious way, and basically call folks stupid for not agreeing with you, that's what tends to make people mad. I happen to think that there probably is a more natural and nutritious way to feed dogs (I definitely like how I feel when I eat straight paleo), but in many many situations anything other than a complete dry dog food just isn't practical, affordable, or compatible with a busy life. I will probably get skewered for saying this, but lets remember that our dogs are still animals, and not furry children.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 pm

dog dr wrote:
Del Lolo wrote:

Ezzy

Bacillus thuringensis is a naturally occurring soil organism that produces a protein that happens to be harmful to the larvae of the corn borer worm. I'm pretty sure you and your dog have eaten worse things.

Look, if you don't want to feed your dog gmo corn or other things found in common kibble then don't; you have every right to feed something else. You also have every right to tell others why you don't like those things and to try and enlighten them about your ideas on nutrition. But when you do it in such a condescending and facetious way, and basically call folks stupid for not agreeing with you, that's what tends to make people mad. I happen to think that there probably is a more natural and nutritious way to feed dogs (I definitely like how I feel when I eat straight paleo), but in many many situations anything other than a complete dry dog food just isn't practical, affordable, or compatible with a busy life. I will probably get skewered for saying this, but lets remember that our dogs are still animals, and not furry children.
+1 and very well said!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:17 am

So true but I didn't want to give up all of that info yet. But glad you did Doc, and hope it is understood.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:57 am

We all have decisions to make in life. I prefer Organically grown -- non GMO foods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A mountain of evidence now exists about the troubling effects of GM corn:

•Rats fed GM corn have kidney, liver, and blood abnormalities whereas rats fed non-GM corn had normal organs and blood.

•GM corn has led to serious reproductive problems in mice. Mice fed Monsanto’s GM corn showed lower fertility and had offspring with lower body weight.

•An Italian study in 2008[ii] found significant disturbances in the immune function of mice fed GM corn.

•Another study showed that mice fed bt corn (bt stands for “bacterial toxin”— engineered to manufacture a natural bacterial toxin) suffered multiple immune system responses, “as if they were eating the pure bt toxin alone.”

•Several US farmers reported sterility and fertility problems among pigs and cows fed GM corn.

• In Germany, twelve cows that had eaten GM corn mysteriously died.

•In feeding trials with chickens, twice the number of chickens died when fed GM corn as those fed non-GM corn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you eat processed foods with any regularity, it’s highly likely that, you do have Bt toxin in your body. Farmers have used Bt-toxin from soil bacteria as a natural pesticide for many years, and biotech companies have therefore claimed that Bt-toxin has a "history of safe use in agriculture." But there's a major difference between spraying it on plants, where it biodegrades in sunlight and can be carefully washed off, and genetically altering the plant to produce it internally.

Remember this: the GMO Bt toxin is not sprayed on the plant, the plant is genetically altered to produce it in EVERY cell in the plant. It is simply impossible to wash off. And if you eat any GMO Bt crops, such as corn or cottonseed oil, you will most definitely have this toxin enter your body. Remember, it was never designed to be in your body and there have been no studies performed that confirm its safety in this setting.

Bt crops have the Bt-toxin gene built-in, so the toxin cannot be washed off. You simply cannot avoid consuming it. Furthermore, the plant-produced version of the poison is thousands of times more concentrated than the spray. If Bt genes are indeed capable of transferring horizontally to the bacteria colonizing the human digestive tract, scientists believe it could reasonably result in:

•Gastrointestinal problems
•Autoimmune diseases
•Food allergies
•Childhood learning disorders
Already, there's plenty of other evidence showing that the Bt toxin produced in GM corn (and cotton plants) is toxic to humans and mammals and triggers immune system responses. For example, in government-sponsored research in Italy, mice fed Monsanto's Bt corn showed a wide range of immune responses, such as

•Elevated IgE and IgG antibodies, which are typically associated with allergies and infections
•An increase in cytokines, which are associated with allergic and inflammatory responses. The specific cytokines (interleukins) that were found to be elevated are also higher in humans who suffer from a wide range of disorders, from arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease to MS and cancer
•Elevated T cells (gamma delta), which are increased in people with asthma, and in children with food allergies, juvenile arthritis and connective tissue diseases
Rats fed another of Monsanto's Bt corn varieties called MON 863, also experienced an activation of their immune systems, showing higher numbers of basophils, lymphocytes and white blood cells.10 These can indicate possible allergies, infections, toxins, and various disease states including cancer. There were also signs of liver and kidney toxicity.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:08 am

BT Corn will be off the market soon. Remember where you heard it. Italy ran Monsanto out of Europe.

Mosanto and the US Government swore this would not happen.

"Doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found the corn's Bt-toxin in the blood of pregnant women and their babies, as well as in non-pregnant women.i (Specifically, the toxin was identified in 93% of 30 pregnant women, 80% of umbilical blood in their babies, and 67% of 39 non-pregnant women.) The study has been accepted for publication in the peer reviewed journal Reproductive Toxicology."

Just imagine what is going into dogs and cats that eat probably 25% of calories of this junk.

Study after study show that farmers suffer the most from the use of GMO crops, even if some don't realize it.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 am

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:There are two kinds of genetic engineering 1) Responsible and Cool and 2) Completely Stupid. BT Corn is #2.

OK glad you clarified it for those of us that are not as capable as you. Changing the color of a pineapple is good, changing a grain so we can reduce the amount of chemicals we have to use in our environment, increase yields, and reduce the amount of fuel we use to produce a crop is stupid.

Ezzy
It is amazing how such an intelligent person like you cannot see how dangerous all this is. You know that farmers suffer the most in the long run using these plants, even if in the short run it makes life easier.

"Hey farmer farmer
Put away that D.D.T. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm

I take it you are much more concerned about the eagles like most of us that didn't want DDT used anymore than you were to the millions of victims of malaria that it was preventing.

I continually hear their is no studies that have been done of the effects of GMO plants but yet if you look above there are all kinds of evidence it has caused all kinds of problems that none of us have ever witnessed.

I do know it has had to pass all of the tests that are necessary before putting it on the market here in this country. And many of us have been closely connected with it for years and still no bad or good results because it produces just the same as other corn.

If you believe Italy sets the standard for safe and healthy food products I would go there and live it was important to me. You mention organic and GMO corn is about as organic as it gets. Organic as it is used in this country has basically no meaning at all. And it shouldn't if we want to be able to buy food at a reasonable cost and continue to feed the world population.

Just my opinion from what I have seen and dealt with working here in the mid-west with farm supplies needed to keep us all fed.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote: Organic as it is used in this country has basically no meaning at all. And it shouldn't if we want to be able to buy food at a reasonable cost and continue to feed the world population.

Ezzy
Organic certification is a certification process for producers of organic food and other organic agricultural products. In general, any business directly involved in food production can be certified, including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, retailers and restaurants.

Requirements vary from country to country, and generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping that include:

no human sewage sludge fertilizer used in cultivation of plants or feed of animals[1]
avoidance of synthetic chemical inputs not on the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances (e.g. fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics, food additives, etc.), genetically modified organisms, irradiation, and the use of sewage sludge;
use of farmland that has been free from prohibited synthetic chemicals for a number of years (often, three or more);
keeping detailed written production and sales records (audit trail);
maintaining strict physical separation of organic products from non-certified products;
undergoing periodic on-site inspections.
In some countries, certification is overseen by the government, and commercial use of the term organic is legally restricted. Certified organic producers are also subject to the same agricultural, food safety and other government regulations that apply to non-certified producers.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote: Organic as it is used in this country has basically no meaning at all. And it shouldn't if we want to be able to buy food at a reasonable cost and continue to feed the world population.

Ezzy
"Certified Organic" means the item has been grown according to strict uniform standards that are verified by independent state or private organizations. Certification includes inspections of farm fields and processing facilities, detailed record keeping, and periodic testing of soil and water to ensure that growers and handlers are meeting the standards which have been set.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm

I know the rules but you should see how they are overseen and actually practice in the field and there is no way to tell after the fact.

One of my major problems with it is that you can't use fertilizers such as phosphate that is mined in Flordia, potash that is mined in Canada or lime mined in IL since they aren't organic. This is just one example. But by and large none of it makes much sense if you are really wanting good healthful foods. Kind of like everyone using bottled water rather than tap water when most of the bottles are filled out of a tap and there is absolutely no regulation on bottled while there is on tap.

But to each his own and I will stick with what got me here instead of switching now.

Ezzy

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 pm

There is a list of 50 some chemicals ok'd to be used on organic crops.....so its not chemical free.

Please show us what studies have been done on GMO corn and its effects on people and animals its fed to?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

birddog1968 wrote:There is a list of 50 some chemicals ok'd to be used on organic crops.....so its not chemical free.
Link (to verify) please.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

just a couple quick things i found. Takes a little reading, but the gist is organic isnt as organic as you might think.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... rganic.htm

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/AgNatRes/Pubs/' ... _farms.pdf

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 am

another one. long read but interesting.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sci ... riculture/

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:There is a list of 50 some chemicals ok'd to be used on organic crops.....so its not chemical free.
Link (to verify) please.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c= ... 2.7&idno=7

Now lets see your links to all the claims you made about GMO Corn. Credible links to studies not by bunny and bark huggers.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Corn is mentioned in the Blue commercials, but they are not going after GM ingredients. In their attack ads, they simply mention corn for they know they will get a favorable liking due to corn bashing long before the rise of GM corn...recall the huge corn allergy myth being spread around the internet for many years? If their intent was bashing GM corn, they can't do they honestly, but then again, expecting honesty from these folks....no chance. There are plenty of ingredients with GM roots within the Blue ingredient lineup: tomatoes, alfalfa, potatoes, etc. Keep in mind, if you have tomato pomace, you have a GM trail, along with potato starch, another GM trail.

Most disheartening IMO concerning these Blue Commercial attack ads are the blatant vicious attacks on none other than CHICKEN BY PRODUCT MEAL. Some of you may already understand this, but the reality is folks we are way outnumbered when it comes to those who consumes heads, feet, and the good old blood and guts. Asian people have been consuming it for centuries with no complaints, and some may even consider some parts we consider gross a delicacy. Looking at numbers...billions of people versus 350 million. That makes us here hating those ingredients part of the MINORITY. So, putting the corn BS aside, what makes these Blue Commercials most disturbing to me is how they play on peoples emotions. They (Blue) would appear to sacrifice a mainstay invaluable ingredient to the industry by playing with your fears and emotion. That is the real issue at play here, not another GM food ingredient.

One last thing, don't fall victim to crafty marketing. Any quality meat goes to the human consumption market. You'll be lucky if there is any meat leftover at all on that carcass before heading off to the dog food makers. That is why when you see something like chicken by product meal, think valuable proteins and nutrients, not about some marketing yuck factor. If you envision Frank Perdue wearing a white glove trimming off fresh cuts of chicken going into your dogs food...God bless you..but that is far from the reality.

I am a chicken by product meal feeder and proud of it people. Load it up, the more the merrier because I know it is good for my dog to get those animal source proteins.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:07 am

Well said. Another ad I am hearing everyday is Dynovite I think is the spelling and it is a supplement that will solve every problem a dog could experience. Just sad that companies are allowed to say whatever they want in their ads with no regard to the truth.

Ezzy

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:26 am

I am not an Anti-grainite, and I subscribe to ByProduct Mealism :) But I have question for those of you who are knowledgeable about dog food production...

Since chickens produced in the US can be shipped to China for processing, and the resultant products sold here with no country of origin on the label, will by products from the Chinese processing facilities be shipped back here to be used in dog food? Chinese additives to my dogs' kibble would concern me, given the lethal nature of some of their exported pet products. Not to mention what they put in baby formulas for their own kids :o

I see there is a recall in China by Walmart for their "Five Spice" donkey meat. Seems testing has revealed DNA of other species in the meat, including fox. Not that there's anything wrong with fox meat 8) , but the willingness of Chinese production managers to "beef up" products is a little concerning.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 am

shags wrote: Since chickens produced in the US can be shipped to China for processing, and the resultant products sold here with no country of origin on the label, will by products from the Chinese processing facilities be shipped back here to be used in dog food?
At today's oil and fuel prices, do you really think chickens are being put on a slow boat to China to come in the form of chicken or poultry by-product meal? The economics of the scenario just doesn't make sense, especially when there are local US companies making the meals. I'm not saying the Chinese don't make dog food and dog treats and ship those products here, I'm just doubting that our chickens locally are being sent to China to come back in a meal form. If our chickens do go to China, I'm guessing it is for the human consumption market over there. They can raise plenty of their own chickens for their dog food products for export.

If you can find some links supporting what you assert (our chickens go to China and come back in meal form), I would be interested in seeing those links. Meanwhile, here is a link for you of a USA company in the business of making meals, with some good comparison info on MEAL VS. BY-PRODUCT.

Cold Spring, Kentucky

http://www.griffinind.com/65_poultry_by ... t_meal.php
http://www.griffinind.com/chicken_meal.php

You can find plenty of other rendering plants in the USA but Griffin includes the nutrient profiles which I like to see.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 am

Here is one of many articles about US chickens being shipped to china for processing, and the product sent back here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 66877.html

More
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-2 ... tests.html

My question was will the by products of these china-processed foods be sold to US dog food manufacturers? With processing going overseas, fewer plants will be operating here, which could drive prices above the junk the Chinese could ship since they're sending McNuggets or whatever back anyway.

Google it, there are tons of articles but We're only allowed two url's here.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I just looked at both of those links, but no mention of by-product meals coming back to the USA, just possibly some chicken nuggets? The articles (both) mentioned the only chicken going over to China is fully cooked processed chicken, not the live bird. Therefore, it seems unlikely fully cooked processed meat comes back to the US as heads, feet and the guts. McDonald's nuggets maybe is what you're getting back. However, I can see your concern...who knows what the future holds.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 am

shags wrote:I am not an Anti-grainite, and I subscribe to ByProduct Mealism :) But I have question for those of you who are knowledgeable about dog food production...

Since chickens produced in the US can be shipped to China for processing, and the resultant products sold here with no country of origin on the label, will by products from the Chinese processing facilities be shipped back here to be used in dog food? Chinese additives to my dogs' kibble would concern me, given the lethal nature of some of their exported pet products. Not to mention what they put in baby formulas for their own kids :o

I see there is a recall in China by Walmart for their "Five Spice" donkey meat. Seems testing has revealed DNA of other species in the meat, including fox. Not that there's anything wrong with fox meat 8) , but the willingness of Chinese production managers to "beef up" products is a little concerning.
The Chinese were just caught doctoring up large amounts of pork with wax and chemicals to make it look like beef.

Earlier in my career I travelled quite a bit, Spain, France, Italy, Eastern Europe and Asia and firsthand I can tell you how bad food quality is in most Asian countries with the exception of Japan and Korea, which are both excellent. France and Italy have the highest standards for food I have ever seen with Spain third. Turkey is also quite good. I would say China and India are the worst overall.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 am

At today's oil and fuel prices, do you really think chickens are being put on a slow boat to China to come in the form of chicken or poultry by-product meal?
No live birds are shipped, just the left over by products we dont use like heads, feet, etc. They use it and what they do not use gets ground up into chicken slime used for dog food. We used to do this with beef until some fool started useing it in human food, then pink slime was made public and we saw what happened there.

Ancestral animals were also scavengers, they ate meat that you or I could not eat. Use up that road kill....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Nope, not just pieces parts....This from the Bloomberg link above "The U.S. Department of Agriculture, in addressing a decade-long trade dispute over farm imports, said it will allow poultry slaughtered in the U.S. and Canada to be processed in China and returned to the U.S. for consumption. "

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:38 pm

shags wrote:Nope, not just pieces parts....This from the Bloomberg link above "The U.S. Department of Agriculture, in addressing a decade-long trade dispute over farm imports, said it will allow poultry slaughtered in the U.S. and Canada to be processed in China and returned to the U.S. for consumption. "
I read that as well. It is amazing the USDA allows this. This is nothing but USDA being bought off. If you would believe, only until recently were cured pork products allowed to company from Spain or Italy. Two countries that invented these food products, taught the world how to make them and have some of the highest safety standards in the world.

The US food supply is becoming so polluted that I eat whole wheat pasta and beans with olive oil and greens almost every night. I can't even eat US beef, chicken or pork anymore.

There was just a story out that 50% of American chicken tests positive for ANTIBIOTIC resistant bacteria.

Good work USDA.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I don't worry about the corn or preservatives in dog food because I don't feed commercial dog food. Its far more enjoyable watching your pooch chow down on real meat and bones, and the nutritional benefits are second to none. If you hunt deer don't forget to save those bones and organs if you don't eat them yourself, the organ meat that is. Avoid the weight bearing bones, no need making the dog grind too long. Don't forget to include some fruit and veggies in your dogs diet too. Remember you are what you eat applies to the dog too.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Nothing like that raw diet, but wait there is. Take all of the meat and vegetables grind them into a meal and make a pellet out of it and you have the same food.

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote: Don't forget to include some fruit and veggies in your dogs diet too. Remember you are what you eat applies to the dog too.
No thanks...I try to feed species appropriate.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

you are what you eat huh.....Most dogs with some sort of Ch title are kibble eaters :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno