Blue Commercials

Bounty_Hunter

Re: Blue Commercials

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 am

claybuster_aa wrote:
Bounty_Hunter wrote: Don't forget to include some fruit and veggies in your dogs diet too. Remember you are what you eat applies to the dog too.
No thanks...I try to feed species appropriate.
A small amount of vegetation and fruit is species appropriate for dogs.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:39 am

ezzy333 wrote:Nothing like that raw diet, but wait there is. Take all of the meat and vegetables grind them into a meal and make a pellet out of it and you have the same food.

Ezzy
Less some very important vitamins and minerals and + some potentially harmful preservatives.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 am

birddog1968 wrote:you are what you eat huh.....Most dogs with some sort of Ch title are kibble eaters :lol:
So what, were talking about diet and its got nothing to do with titles. The healthier a dog is the better he will hunt or do anything for that matter.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:A small amount of vegetation and fruit is species appropriate for dogs.
I disagree. If a food cannot be processed by the dog on its own accord (through the stomach), and it must first be cooked for the dog by man, it therefore cannot be species appropriate. It is also a well known fact the feeding or raw vegetables to a dog would result in starvation. A dog can survive (barley) on cooked vegetables, but again that requires processing (subjecting to high heat to convert starch to Dextrin). The feeding vegetables is only suitable for the dog when it suits our purposes, not theirs. If you doubt this, you can give your dog a raw string bean and watch it come out the other end looking like a string bean. When it comes to some fruits, the best benefit would come from the juices and the leftover pulp is not suitable for maintenance.
A good bird dog is always the right color

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 am

ezzy333 wrote: Another ad I am hearing everyday is Dynovite I think is the spelling and it is a supplement that will solve every problem a dog could experience. Ezzy
Yes, we get that commercial around here too, but only on the radio I think. Yes, very sad!

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 am

claybuster_aa wrote:
Bounty_Hunter wrote:A small amount of vegetation and fruit is species appropriate for dogs.
I disagree. If a food cannot be processed by the dog on its own accord (through the stomach), and it must first be cooked for the dog by man, it therefore cannot be species appropriate. It is also a well known fact the feeding or raw vegetables to a dog would result in starvation. A dog can survive (barley) on cooked vegetables, but again that requires processing (subjecting to high heat to convert starch to Dextrin). The feeding vegetables is only suitable for the dog when it suits our purposes, not theirs. If you doubt this, you can give your dog a raw string bean and watch it come out the other end looking like a string bean. When it comes to some fruits, the best benefit would come from the juices and the leftover pulp is not suitable for maintenance.
I get where your coming from and agree to an extent but have you ever checked out coyote or fox scat at different times of the year? They most certainly eat vegetation and fruit containing seed and one of the Canadian forum members sees coyotes eating his apples during the fall. My guess is even though the majority of some fruit and vegetation isn't processed well, some is and enough to provide a small amount of nutritional value. I'm not big on adding lots of veggies and prefer adding leafy plants like parsley, spinach, and dandelion. I also like to add apples, blue berries and cranberries in small amounts.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 am

Del Lolo wrote:We all have decisions to make in life. I prefer Organically grown -- non GMO foods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A mountain of evidence now exists about the troubling effects of GM corn:

•Rats fed GM corn have kidney, liver, and blood abnormalities whereas rats fed non-GM corn had normal organs and blood.

•GM corn has led to serious reproductive problems in mice. Mice fed Monsanto’s GM corn showed lower fertility and had offspring with lower body weight.

•An Italian study in 2008[ii] found significant disturbances in the immune function of mice fed GM corn.

•Another study showed that mice fed bt corn (bt stands for “bacterial toxin”— engineered to manufacture a natural bacterial toxin) suffered multiple immune system responses, “as if they were eating the pure bt toxin alone.”

•Several US farmers reported sterility and fertility problems among pigs and cows fed GM corn.

• In Germany, twelve cows that had eaten GM corn mysteriously died.

•In feeding trials with chickens, twice the number of chickens died when fed GM corn as those fed non-GM corn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you eat processed foods with any regularity, it’s highly likely that, you do have Bt toxin in your body. Farmers have used Bt-toxin from soil bacteria as a natural pesticide for many years, and biotech companies have therefore claimed that Bt-toxin has a "history of safe use in agriculture." But there's a major difference between spraying it on plants, where it biodegrades in sunlight and can be carefully washed off, and genetically altering the plant to produce it internally.

Remember this: the GMO Bt toxin is not sprayed on the plant, the plant is genetically altered to produce it in EVERY cell in the plant. It is simply impossible to wash off. And if you eat any GMO Bt crops, such as corn or cottonseed oil, you will most definitely have this toxin enter your body. Remember, it was never designed to be in your body and there have been no studies performed that confirm its safety in this setting.

Bt crops have the Bt-toxin gene built-in, so the toxin cannot be washed off. You simply cannot avoid consuming it. Furthermore, the plant-produced version of the poison is thousands of times more concentrated than the spray. If Bt genes are indeed capable of transferring horizontally to the bacteria colonizing the human digestive tract, scientists believe it could reasonably result in:

•Gastrointestinal problems
•Autoimmune diseases
•Food allergies
•Childhood learning disorders
Already, there's plenty of other evidence showing that the Bt toxin produced in GM corn (and cotton plants) is toxic to humans and mammals and triggers immune system responses. For example, in government-sponsored research in Italy, mice fed Monsanto's Bt corn showed a wide range of immune responses, such as

•Elevated IgE and IgG antibodies, which are typically associated with allergies and infections
•An increase in cytokines, which are associated with allergic and inflammatory responses. The specific cytokines (interleukins) that were found to be elevated are also higher in humans who suffer from a wide range of disorders, from arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease to MS and cancer
•Elevated T cells (gamma delta), which are increased in people with asthma, and in children with food allergies, juvenile arthritis and connective tissue diseases
Rats fed another of Monsanto's Bt corn varieties called MON 863, also experienced an activation of their immune systems, showing higher numbers of basophils, lymphocytes and white blood cells.10 These can indicate possible allergies, infections, toxins, and various disease states including cancer. There were also signs of liver and kidney toxicity.
I agree, its time to clean up the mess we have allowed to exist for so long. There is a better way to produce our foods and we have to move in that direction. My vegetable garden gets bigger every year. Organic farming is a step in the right direction IMO....

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
I get where your coming from and agree to an extent but have you ever checked out coyote or fox scat at different times of the year? They most certainly eat vegetation and fruit containing seed and one of the Canadian forum members sees coyotes eating his apples during the fall. My guess is even though the majority of some fruit and vegetation isn't processed well, some is and enough to provide a small amount of nutritional value.
I have come across coyote scat with corn in it...

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:35 pm

millerms06 wrote:I have come across coyote scat with corn in it...
]

I can believe that especially in farming areas. Coyotes are opportunistic by nature and the corn is a vegetable or grain depending on how you serve it. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't eat it when its available. On the flip side, I also think it would make up a very small part of its diet along with other fruits and vegetables, because coyotes prefer fresh meat that they kill themselves. I was out hunting pheasant three days ago the temps in the low teens with 6"of snow on the ground. The only tracks I saw in the snow were deer, rabbit and lots of field mice, and as I got to the middle of an overgrown field in the area I came across coyote tracks that led to a ground den. It was probably in use now because of the bad weather and cold front that hit us, wind chill -20 today. What a great place to he had chosen with all the prey hopping in and out of that field.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 pm

I can't remember all the details, but coyotes are unique among carnivores in how broad a food spectrum they can eat, mostly to do with their teeth, they are probably an in-accurate analogue for a domestic dog. And that adaptability to various food sources is why they have spread everywhere.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

aulrich wrote:I can't remember all the details, but coyotes are unique among carnivores in how broad a food spectrum they can eat, mostly to do with their teeth, they are probably an in-accurate analogue for a domestic dog. And that adaptability to various food sources is why they have spread everywhere.
I agree that coyotes are very adaptable and it may not be the best example of diet comparison but I have also read that even wolves will eat fruit, grasses and insects as part of their diet and while coyotes are not as closely related to wolves as dogs are I also read that all three species can mate with each other and produce viable fertile offspring. I guess what I'm trying to say is if coyotes can adapt so well to other food sources why couldn't dogs to a lesser degree?

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:I'm not big on adding lots of veggies and prefer adding leafy plants like parsley, spinach, and dandelion. I also like to add apples, blue berries and cranberries in small amounts.
I avoid feeding (additional) plant matter to my dog outside of whats already in her ration already (white rice, safflower oil, flax seed oil). I was irritated by the marketing of Blue, to go after by-product meals (the #1 ingredient in my dogs ration). I understand and it probably happens in 99% of all threads, they end up going off in a different direction. We've been through the omnivore/carnivore discussions and debates many times over and I can get a feel for where this thread is leaning and maybe I should just leave it alone for now...I've said my peace about Blue. You are not alone Bounty_Hunter, there are a lot of raw people out there who feel it is important to incorporate veggies, fruit and plant matter (including lawn weeds) into the diet. It's just something that I never dabbled in and don't want to introduce it in my dogs diet outside of what the ration already includes.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:I avoid feeding (additional) plant matter to my dog outside of whats already in her ration already (white rice, safflower oil, flax seed oil). I was irritated by the marketing of Blue, to go after by-product meals (the #1 ingredient in my dogs ration). I understand and it probably happens in 99% of all threads, they end up going off in a different direction. We've been through the omnivore/carnivore discussions and debates many times over and I can get a feel for where this thread is leaning and maybe I should just leave it alone for now...I've said my peace about Blue. You are not alone Bounty_Hunter, there are a lot of raw people out there who feel it is important to incorporate veggies, fruit and plant matter (including lawn weeds) into the diet. It's just something that I never dabbled in and don't want to introduce it in my dogs diet outside of what the ration already includes.
I appreciate your honesty and to be completely honest the amount of vegetation or fruit in my dogs diet is about 20% the rest is all meat, bones, and organ meats and eggs and a few other tried nutritional sources. I Too wish there were more clarity to distinguish the omnivore/carnivore debate but science seems to lean towards carnivore so that's why I keep the fruit and vegetation ratio so low.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
aulrich wrote:I can't remember all the details, but coyotes are unique among carnivores in how broad a food spectrum they can eat, mostly to do with their teeth, they are probably an in-accurate analogue for a domestic dog. And that adaptability to various food sources is why they have spread everywhere.
I agree that coyotes are very adaptable and it may not be the best example of diet comparison but I have also read that even wolves will eat fruit, grasses and insects as part of their diet and while coyotes are not as closely related to wolves as dogs are I also read that all three species can mate with each other and produce viable fertile offspring. I guess what I'm trying to say is if coyotes can adapt so well to other food sources why couldn't dogs to a lesser degree?

On a side note, I was watching a TED talk and the guy had talked about how human teeth are best suited to cooked food!

No doubt some un-natural selection has happen over the years I could easily see when food was scarce dogs who did better on what ever was there where the ones who bred.