possible rabies exposure?

AG74

possible rabies exposure?

Post by AG74 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

On Saturday I was out hunting with my dog Blaze and we came upon a sickly coyote. I could tell Blaze wanted to get at it, but he was keeping a little distance. What I probably should have done was kept the dog away with the e-collar and taught him to leave coyotes alone, but instead I broke the "Don't shoot anything you don't want your dog to hunt" Rule and shot it instead. I really didn't want to give the coyote a chance to bite Blaze.

Of course, as soon as I shot it, Blaze grabbed it and started thrashing it. I got him to drop it after a few seconds and got him to back off.

The coyote was very ill or injured, could barely walk away, was not aggressive, but was trying to protect itself as much as it was able in its condition. It was NOT foaming at the mouth. I don't know what it was dying of, but I wanted to kill it before it had a chance to bite my dog. Blaze is current on all vaccinations, including rabies. After calling three Vets this morning, all three said to keep an eye on him, but probably not to worry too much.

Anyone have a similar experience or advice?

Thanks
Al

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: possible rabies exposure?

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:09 am

Was its fur messed up? Yotes usually get mange and the cold makes them nutso.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

AG74

Post by AG74 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:20 am

markj wrote:Was its fur messed up? Yotes usually get mange and the cold makes them nutso.
I didn't give it a real close exam, but its fur was not looking great. It could barely walk/run and didn't really try to get away from us as a result. I think it was very close to death. If it didn't have a disease, a couple possibilities are that it got hit by a car which messed up its back legs, or maybe some other hunter shot it and it didn't die immediately.

My guess is that it was starving to death from its illness or injury. Definitely was on its last legs.

How would I know if it had rabies, other than if it was foaming at the mouth/aggression, or taking it in to get a head sample tested?

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am

Don't confirm on here, but if you were I think you were............ :) a couple got filled up with 7 shot last week for trying to eat a Brittany.. We have a very very low rabie issue here, but I guess that's why you get the shot. Always a slim chance. I hope it was one of the Britt chasers.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:11 pm

if your dog is current on rabies vaccine you have nothing to worry about. rabies virus is shed in the saliva of an infected animal, and then the virus needs to come into contact with a mucous membrane or open wound, sore, etc.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:23 pm

dog dr wrote:if your dog is current on rabies vaccine you have nothing to worry about. rabies virus is shed in the saliva of an infected animal, and then the virus needs to come into contact with a mucous membrane or open wound, sore, etc.
Thanks Dog Dr!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:33 pm

We grow them big here. 45 pounder. My JRT would be a nice snack. :(

trappermatt:

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett