Aural Hematoma

Chaingang

Aural Hematoma

Post by Chaingang » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:33 pm

Aural Hematoma - (ruptured blood vessels in the inner lining of the ear flap, causing ear flap to engorge with blood).

Anyone ever go through this? If you have I would be interested in hearing what the treatment was and if there was any recurrence of swelling.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:01 pm

the hematome needs to be lanced and drained, and the skin is then stitched in such a way to keep the incision open so it will continue to drain. then you need to get something to fix the ear infection that is usually the cause of the swelling of the inner ear tissue and head shaling that causes the hematoma.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 pm

I was afraid that surgery would be the way to ultimately fix this. Initially the vet drained the cavity with a large needle and then injected it with a steroid. Said there is a 75% chance of it healing with this procedure. Took the bandage off after 2 days and cavity appears to be starting to fill again.

I do not think that this was caused by an ear infection as the ears were not dirty nor was there much if any head shaking. Right now I have a 6 month old male that thinks every night is WWF wrestling night with my older dog and assume that is probably how this happened?