What do you feed your Dogs?

Killer Instinct

Re: What do you feed your Dogs?

Post by Killer Instinct » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Getting back to the topic - I feed Dr. Tim's Momentum. Only problem - pricey.
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:18 am

I feed Diamond Hi Energy.....My Brittany does well on it...actually a bit chunky right now after 3 weeks of really bad weather. We will see how the pup does on it when it gets a little bigger...

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 am

I feed PPP 30/20, supplemented by some prey-model raw primarily out of convenience (if I cooked four of six chicken leg quarters, it's an easy way to deal with the last two; it's a way to use carp if you catch them) and because the dog seems to enjoy it.

I will probably try Dr. Tim's Momentum and/or Redpaw 32k at some point. The PPP has been great, so reasons for trying something new are purely curiousity on my part.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:I'm not sure if coyotes hunt in packs but you guys sure do. I have many memories of hunting in all kinds of weather, alone, with friends, and even with friends and their dogs, so I say from experience I don't like hunting when I have to trudge through two feet of snow and you guys find fault with that. :roll: I thought hunting was a hobby? I think my 50# Britt will forgive me for missing a few days of hunting. Will hunting in -10 F with two feet of snow on the ground teach me anything I don't already know? Here is some advice, how about sharing what you know about hunting and let the common sense stuff alone...
No, you found fault with people who do or have.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:B_H where is your dooms day cave I'm sure you have one since you think every body is out to destroy you & your dog.I would really hate to think like you do my neck would ache from looking over my shoulder to see who's sneaking up on me.
As far as this winter it's been tough but all 11 dogs I have here seem to love it,this still doesn't come close to the blizzards of 77 & 78 when I only had 1 dog like your self & we hunted in it a couple days a wk.Your 50 LB Britt should be like a snow plow with all RAW ENERGY!!
Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:His testicles aren't even in the snow yet so he is having the time of his life even if you aren't now I understand just how much experience you have.Shall we say zilch so you need to get some more BS off the internet.
That pic was before the last storm hit yesterday, I did say add another foot to what he is standing in in the pic. and I don't know of anyone that hunts their dogs in that kind of dept. Unless your trying to prove something, if so, what?
birddogger wrote:No, you found fault with people who do or have.Charlie
No Charlie, I simply asked how everyones dogs were handling the deep snow and freezing temps. And one of the pack commented on the picture I posted before reading the caption above it and then went on to brag about how he hunted his dog in 3' of snow. He, as usual, starts the ball rolling so I had every right to ask what he was trying to prove by hunting a dog in more then 2' of snow. As I have said, hunting is just a hobby to me and even if I spent money to hunt somewhere, if it was to hard on the dog or was putting him in a situation where he might get injured I opt not to do it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:27 pm

You know I was wondering who BH was talking about but after reading what he told Charlie I bet it was me. I was hunting the dogs in that kind of snow to keep them from going stir crazy. They really needed the exercise and as much as I hate getting out in some of our inclement weather the dogs almost force you to if you have any concern for them and their needs. I am sitting here in the house most all winter because I can't get out but luckily I have friends that have come over and run the dogs for me. The snow is deeper than they are tall and it is fun to see them try to run through it and end up really getting a work out. I have said before and I believe to you BH that the dogs will still be wanting to go long after I think it is too cold or too snowy for me to get out. I guess my priorities are all wrong but I have never worried a minute about the conditions being too tough for the dogs but I understand why someone might think so. But then I think of the dogs in the iditrod and the great Race they are running now and realize just how silly it is in our climate here in the states. Not saying there are times they don't need to be out but you can bet your bottom dollar the deciding factor is I am not going out in it way before the dogs decide they don't want to go.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:37 pm

I always figured my dogs were tougher then me or at least as tough so I never asked them to do anything I wouldn't do other then maybe swimming for a retrieve because I swim like a rock.Really the retrieving from water was their choice though not mine! :D

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Well Ezzy , there was actually 3 or 4 that chimed in yesterday to tell me in a rather rude manner that I am pampering my dog. That's why I said pack. I know where you are coming from when you say dogs still need exercise but exercising and making a dog hunt when conditions are near impossible are two different things. I had him out yesterday for about an hour just for exercise and it took him 15 minutes to cover less then 100 yds of ground . Sure he was having a blast for the short time he was out even though neck deep in most areas. So would it be feasible to hunt him in such conditions for say 3 or 4 hours, I say no. I wouldn't enjoy walking a few miles in snow that deep and why risk him injuring a leg while watching him exhaust himself breaking through 2 layers of deep crusted snow. Just not my idea of a fun day out hunting. 3 to 6" more in the forecast for tomorrow, I think I'll pamper him for a few more days. :!: :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

BH, first of all nobody makes a good dog hunt. Secondly nobody is critisizing you for doing what you want with your dog or feeding what you want. So please give us the same consideration.

Charlie

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Mountaineer wrote:A lot of times, the individual dog determines if ice balls are an issue.....perhaps, because some of the owner's attitudes rub off on them.
So it's my attitude that made him limp and not the ice ball the size of a golf ball glued to the corner of his paw? :?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 pm

He just can't get it in his head that no one care anything about what he does with his 50 lb britt but he wants to condemn the rest of us because we do differently.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:He just can't get it in his head that no one care anything about what he does with his 50 lb britt but he wants to condemn the rest of us because we do differently.
Don't people in Ohio have any manners, or is it just you, because you shouldn't speak for others! :?:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Maybe me but if you would stop telling us we are wrong because we don't do or believe as you I might be more polite! :lol:

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

birddogger wrote:BH, first of all nobody makes a good dog hunt. Secondly nobody is critisizing you for doing what you want with your dog or feeding what you want. So please give us the same consideration.

Charlie

Of course we don't make a good dog hunt, but we do make the decision to put him in the woods or not. Some people would rather brag about the big blizzard that they hunted through with their dog then think about the possible consequences to their actions. Why do wild animals restrict movement in adverse weather conditions like deep snow and freezing temps. To conserve energy and avoid injury. So why would you think those conditions be any easier on our domestic dogs.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Probably because our dogs come home to a warm meal, clean water, and a nice warm kennel or spot on the sofa :roll: :roll:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I am done...continuing this discussion seems useless, at least to me.

Charlie

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 pm

shags wrote:Probably because our dogs come home to a warm meal, clean water, and a nice warm kennel or spot on the sofa :roll: :roll:

So your saying we pamper them? I already said I do that, and I feed him like a wild animal, I just don't feel the need to hunt him like one. :?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:A lot of times, the individual dog determines if ice balls are an issue.....perhaps, because some of the owner's attitudes rub off on them.
So it's my attitude that made him limp and not the ice ball the size of a golf ball glued to the corner of his paw? :?
No, read slower, think more.
As a first note....some dogs are more bothered by ice balls and ice balling than others(It also helps to trim and treat the pad hair, as I earlier implied, fwtw).
However, the owner's attitude may, since the owner opens the cage door, indicate what the dog learns to deal with or work through....seems simple enough.
Your Brit may not have the experience to deal with ice balling to the point that a Titleist on a paw may be more of an issue....many dogs would chew them off before they get that large.
All illustrating that a lack of experience can be a killer on a hunt....or in a discussion.

As an example of owner attitude, I hunted Kansas last December and on a 1 degree windy morning, I the owner said..."Nope,too cold. Let's wait a spell".
The dog I had along would have voted ..."Let's go".
We could have gone and adjusted the time and location but...sometimes, we all make a decision and take an attitude...as you did, supposedly.
Nothing wrong with that tack...unless it is contrived to further some wild canine analogy related to feeding, etc. and then it becomes just more fluff.
I personally do not care when or if you ever hunt....but, I would, if snow or whatever is the issue, consider toughing it out just a bit and letting pup experience and learn.
Pup will be happy and you can adjust as the conditions warrant......pup won't learn curled up in a barcalounger and neither will you.
Plus, taking the course that dogs will be injured in a blind desire to hunt is just plain silly......most of us have the smarts to not hunt a dog to death.
Making the counter implication speaks most of your frustration.

I do know that I have more of an issue with crusty snow than my daughter did at 4 years old....fwtw as well.

I also live in Ohio but I often hunt in Pennsylvania.....often just for the chance at some cherry cider up on the mountain.
I have only enough manners to stick out a pinky when I slurp from the jug.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:Well Ezzy , there was actually 3 or 4 that chimed in yesterday to tell me in a rather rude manner that I am pampering my dog.
Probably because you were. If I waited for the day that ice balls on the feet wouldn't be a problem then my dogs would sit inside for a very, very long time. But it is your right to pamper your dog how you see fit.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 am

Mountaineer wrote:No, read slower, think more. As a first note....some dogs are more bothered by ice balls and ice balling than others(It also helps to trim and treat the pad hair, as I earlier implied, fwtw).However, the owner's attitude may, since the owner opens the cage door, indicate what the dog learns to deal with or work through....seems simple enough.Your Brit may not have the experience to deal with ice balling to the point that a Titleist on a paw may be more of an issue....many dogs would chew them off before they get that large. All illustrating that a lack of experience can be a killer on a hunt....or in a discussion. As an example of owner attitude, I hunted Kansas last December and on a 1 degree windy morning, I the owner said..."Nope,too cold. Let's wait a spell".The dog I had along would have voted ..."Let's go".We could have gone and adjusted the time and location but...sometimes, we all make a decision and take an attitude...as you did, supposedly.Nothing wrong with that tack...unless it is contrived to further some wild canine analogy related to feeding, etc. and then it becomes just more fluff.I personally do not care when or if you ever hunt....but, I would, if snow or whatever is the issue, consider toughing it out just a bit and letting pup experience and learn.Pup will be happy and you can adjust as the conditions warrant......pup won't learn curled up in a barcalounger and neither will you. Plus, taking the course that dogs will be injured in a blind desire to hunt is just plain silly......most of us have the smarts to not hunt a dog to death.Making the counter implication speaks most of your frustration.
Oh, so when you decide not to hunt your dog in lets say, 1 degree temps its a good decision. But because I wont hunt my dog in 24" of snow with temps in the low teens I am presenting owner attitude? And allowing bloody nuts and ice balls to form on his paws will teach him what? I have hunted him in snow before with success and have even hunted him with some porky needles in his chin and I don't believe for a minute my attitude has anything to do with weather he will tuff out a hunt or not. Every dog I have seen that has good hunting drive will always say lets go regardless of what the weather or conditions dictate. Its up to us as caretakers of our dogs to use the intelligence that dogs don't possess when it comes to putting them out to hunt or not, at least that's how I see it. Now, is there some things a dog can learn with more exposure to these conditions, sure, but not the ability to handle more pain, maybe staying off thin ice, pacing himself better in deep snow or choosing an easier way in and out of thickets, ect. The only frustration I do have is with the attitude of a few on here and how they think that only their experience counts.
Last edited by Bounty_Hunter on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:18 am

slistoe wrote:
But it is your right to pamper your dog how you see fit.[/quote]

B_H = [/quote] Thank you, nicest thing you have said in a while.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:26 am

The problem is that using the dog as the excuse whether to hunt or not is bogus. There are a thousand reasons you can use to make up your mind if you want to go or not but the dog is not one of them. the dog is ready any time you are and there is no way you are going to injure a dog by too much hunting no matter what the circumstances.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

Musher's Secret - great for ice balls. :wink:
If I waited until the snow wasn't deep in Ontario , the dogs wouldn't get out all winter, but everyone should do as they see fit.

Last edited by Sharon on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
slistoe wrote: But it is your right to pamper your dog how you see fit.
Thank you, nicest thing you have said in a while.
As long as you recognize it as needless pampering and nothing more - which your attitude would suggest you don't.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:35 am

ezzy333 wrote:The problem is that using the dog as the excuse whether to hunt or not is bogus. There are a thousand reasons you can use to make up your mind if you want to go or not but the dog is not one of them. the dog is ready any time you are and there is no way you are going to injure a dog by too much hunting no matter what the circumstances.

Ezzy
Your right, and that's what I said from the start. My very first quote was that its no fun hunting in this deep snow, and lets be realistic when we say deep snow because a foot of snow to some is deep snow but close to 3' is a problem for both hunter and dog regardless of how tuff your dog or dogs might be. But if I had to pick a winner I would have to say it would be more problematic for the hunter then the dog simply because where I live few hunters own snow shoes and trying to get good footing in 36" of snow is difficult and walking for a few miles in it is labor intense. So as for the thousands of reasons I could give its mostly just me. Guess I'm just a whiny cry baby who doesn't like snow as much as others do.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:47 am

Sharon wrote:Musher's Secret - great for ice balls. If I waited until the snow wasn't deep in Ontario , the dogs wouldn't get out all winter, but everyone should do as they see fit.
Ok, I cant argue with that and by the look of that snow it looks like you might need some snow shoes for your dogs too. :)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:Oh, so when you decide not to hunt your dog in lets say, 1 degree temps its a good decision. But because I wont hunt my dog in 24" of snow with temps in the low teens I am presenting owner attitude? And allowing bloody nuts and ice balls to form on his paws will teach him what? I have hunted him in snow before with success and have even hunted him with some porky needles in his chin and I don't believe for a minute my attitude has anything to do with weather he will tuff out a hunt or not. Every dog I have seen that has good hunting drive will always say lets go regardless of what the weather or conditions dictate. Its up to us as caretakers of our dogs to use the intelligence that dogs don't possess when it comes to putting them out to hunt or not, at least that's how I see it. Now, is there some things a dog can learn with more exposure to these conditions, sure, but not the ability to handle more pain, maybe staying off thin ice, pacing himself better in deep snow or choosing an easier way in and out of thickets, ect. The only frustration I do have is with the attitude of a few on here and how they think that only their experience counts.

My note was an example of shared owner attitude... we all make decisions and take attitudes based upon the particulars of the day, that is wise.....you should indeed read slower and w/o such a chip on your shoulder, lad.
No matter how hard you try and convince yourself...you simply are not that unique re all things birddog.
What will any day teach pup?...possibly more than there was a dropped pretzel in the barcolounger seat.
Is that Pennsylvania snow getting deeper the longer you post?....hunting appears to be now the equivalent of the Brit struggles at the Battle of the Somme.

I mentioned Musher's Secret earlier in the thread(you're welcome)....try it as well as the trimming...pup might appreciate it and yes, dogs do learn many things with experience and opportunity and yes deux, pups do pick up attitudes from their owner's....if they are attuned to them....ime, of course.

Trying to adopt the caretaker angle or implying immense pain is being ignored just to swat some game birds is a bit silly when all here obviously care about their dogs.....however, I would have addressed those porky needles.
Again, you are far from unique in caring for or about a birddog :idea: .....you are a bit unique in the need to trumpet that caretaker angle to elevate yourself above the hoi polloi of birdhunters.
Use your dog to hunt and less to support an affected agenda that feels good...just a thought.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I agree with you but where we got in trouble is you used your dogs well being as the excuse and not that you didn't want to. Now it all makes sense.Good luck.
Now just a minute, You were the one who told me a while back that dogs just love to hunt and will push themselves to the limit and beyond if you allow it. So what's so wrong with pulling the plug on a hunt when the snow is too deep? I would think that would be the move of an owner that cares more for his dog then his bragging rights?
I care immensely about the well being of my dog.....but my dog will hunt long after I need to pack it in for whatever reason. 2' or 6' feet of snow is nothing that any good hunting dog would even worry about. Our training sessions over the past 3 weeks have been knuckle white cold. Snow drifts well over 4' deep and -28 degrees Celsius not factoring in wind chill. Our dogs love it and that includes a runt of the litter springer. Maybe get yourself a tougher dog?

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 pm

AlbertaChessie wrote:I care immensely about the well being of my dog.....but my dog will hunt long after I need to pack it in for whatever reason. 2' or 6' feet of snow is nothing that any good hunting dog would even worry about. Our training sessions over the past 3 weeks have been knuckle white cold. Snow drifts well over 4' deep and -28 degrees Celsius not factoring in wind chill. Our dogs love it and that includes a runt of the litter springer. Maybe get yourself a tougher dog?

Your a regular Jeramiah Johnson! You could use some good gloves on those knuckles though, and you might want to advise the Mountaineer as well because he pulls the plug on his hunts when its 1 degree and windy. As for my dog it could be that I don't feed him a good kibble diet and he's probably not getting the nutrients he needs to with stand these cold temps, at least that's what Ezzy probably thinks. I hear we are going to have temps in the 40s later this week so I will be tearing it up with the pup enjoying the whats left of this hunting season. For now, Hot chocolate and some food by the wood stove while mother nature finishes painting pictures.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am

Was out for a walk yesterday and saw something sad. A squirrel curled up in the snow shivering, yet temps were in the upper 30s. After looking around and seeing his tracks all around his tree it sure looked like he could not find any food as there was small holes dug in several areas down deep through the snow into leaf litter. This snow and the cold temps are the worst I have seen in a long time here in the eastern US. Sometimes we do get big snowfalls but putting so many days of freezing temps together with deep snow must be taking its toll on the wild life. Spring cannot come soon enough...

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Taste of the wild puppy formula, I mix up the flavors. Adults eat the same Taste of the Wild adult formula.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 pm

I feed lots of raw meat and bones because that's what keeps his gear strong and clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

123vegas

Post by 123vegas » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 am

Victor Select Hi Pro Plus.

Senah

Post by Senah » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 am

We use Kirkland Signature Dog Food Chicken & Rice. It is cheap at Costco, and we were actually recommended it by our breeder. Even though it isn't puppy food he did just fine, and the breeder told us not to change it as he was started on it. He looks great and the vet said he is a perfect weight.
540711_10100909433704362_558350760_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tuckr2

Post by Tuckr2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

First post.
Doing a bit of research on dog foods for my 2 springer spaniels as well as new pup coming. Came across this website from another hunting forum. Tons of information and ratings on almost very brand available. Im sure there is always a bit of personal opinion but it appears a great staring point.
Good luck,
Ken

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Smile. its the second best thing you can do with your lips!

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am

Tuckr2 wrote:First post.
Doing a bit of research on dog foods for my 2 springer spaniels as well as new pup coming. Came across this website from another hunting forum. Tons of information and ratings on almost very brand available. Im sure there is always a bit of personal opinion but it appears a great staring point.
Good luck,
Ken

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
That site is interesting to me. I respect the guy's effort, and doubt he's getting rich from the fees the site generates. But, he's a dentist, and seems to think every ingredient in the kibble should, as a stand-alone, be very nutritious for the dog. And, things that are perfectly natural for dogs to eat, but unlovely to modern human appetites, like undeveloped eggs, he views as problems in dog food. And, things that work perfectly fine in kibble, like corn, he somehow views as problems because?... He never really explains it. So, Purina scores poorly, as one example, when PPP seems to be viewed so well by people with lots of real-world experience. Basically I think that site is unintentionally biased towards small, very pricey brands that are targeted to the Whole Foods crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with people choosing that, if they want to spend the money.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 pm

We have had healthy non-working dogs on Blue. I started with this but am now using Canidae as well.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Time will tell, but I have had four of my trial dogs on a raw diet now for several months and I really like the results. Here is a pic of this morning's meal.

ImageX

I'll pour a small portion of Pro Plan over this so that when on the road I can just feed kibble without upsetting their stomachs. The menu varies slightly but they always get a leg quarter which I buy for .58/lb. I also always include an egg and a fish oil gel cap. I look for discounted meat specials, organ meat, fish ...and deer meat when I can get it.

Pros: Much healthier, coats are better, dense muscle mass, more stamina, very small stools, teeth cleaner and the cost is equal or less than straight Pro Plan.

Cons: Requires additional preparation and difficult on the road.
Don't want to confuse the [raw vs. kibble] debate anymore than it already is but saw this over on the Field Trial forum..... :?

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:Don't want to confuse the [raw vs. kibble] debate anymore than it already is but saw this over on the Field Trial forum..... cr
That's what were looking for so we can debate this and get a more balanced opinion about the results between the two. Can you dig a little more and see what you can find?

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:Don't want to confuse the [raw vs. kibble] debate anymore than it already is but saw this over on the Field Trial forum..... cr
That's what were looking for so we can debate this and get a more balanced opinion about the results between the two. Can you dig a little more and see what you can find?
Like the OP indicated, he was just getting started with the diet but it sounded as though he was seeing some positive results. Even added a raw egg..... :wink:

http://www.thefieldtrialer.com/forum/vi ... =12&t=4439

Three pages to the thread so it looked as some were somewhat interested and there didn't seem to be anyone bashing it.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Sniff1170

Post by Sniff1170 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 am

Purina in the summer. Pro Plan in the winter when hunting. Also had good luck with Diamond Naturals.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 pm

I feed what ever kibble is on sale and get my treats from the dollar store.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm feeding this:

trouble seeing that? Click here for larger view:
http://therobertabadydogfoodcoltd.com/A ... ngredl.htm
A good bird dog is always the right color

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Being that this topic was discussed earlier in this thread, I though I would share this quote with you:
In the 50s, the largest producer of dry diets circulated an absurd notion that dogs consumed mostly the plant matter contained in the internal organs of their prey, justifying the production of kibble composed mostly of highly processed grain. This mistake is now being applied to try to justify the use of voluminous amounts of raw vegetables which are included in today’s raw diets. Grain can be used by dogs if it is highly processed. Raw vegetables cannot, regardless of whether they are masticated by the animal or ground mechanically. In addition, the pulp produced is not suitable to the feeding of carnivores. Robert Abady

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Until the dog world can agree that dogs are not Carnivores, the argument will never be settled on what is best to feed them. Cats are Carnivores and Dogs are Omnivores.... Just look at the teeth. Dogs have Canines for killing and tearing but they also have molars for chewing things like plants and berries... Cats only have sharp, hooked teeth and no molars.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Until the dog world can agree that dogs are not Carnivores, the argument will never be settled on what is best to feed them. Cats are Carnivores and Dogs are Omnivores.... Just look at the teeth. Dogs have Canines for killing and tearing but they also have molars for chewing things like plants and berries... Cats only have sharp, hooked teeth and no molars.
I would disagree. Grain is unusable for dogs. Sure, they can eat grain, but it serves no benefit unless it is highly processed (cooked under high heat so starch is converted to dextrin). This is important...only if we prepare grains for them will it serve a benefit. That should tell you something right there, if there bodies are dependent upon man to make it usable for them, then that is NOT the way it was designed for them by nature. It is also a well known fact the feeding dogs raw vegetable matter will result in starvation. Every independent scientist out there would probably also disagree with you as well. Dogs are unarguably carnivores. Just because something will eat something by no means changes scientific classification of order. If we applied your logic with the plants and berries....then we can assume you are a ruminant?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 14, 2014 10:44 pm

As a professional trapper I can promise you that dogs are not carnivores. The teeth and their natural diet don't lie. They are omnivores and eat grains all the time.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2014 7:07 am

Ever notice that dogs will naturally gulp their food? The only time dogs chew is when they are afraid they may choke on something. There are indicators in the mouth and teeth structure...all indicating carnivore structure. Naturally gulping food, sharp canines for tearing meat off of bone.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu May 15, 2014 7:32 am

Doesn't matter if they gulp. They are still not true Carnivores.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 am

Cats always chew up their kibble into smaller bits than the already small bits they come in - are they not carnivores?
Can't see that gulping has much to do with it - the behaviour has more to do with pack feeding.