What do you feed your Dogs?

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

Just curious what you all are feeding your dogs.

PLEASE KEEP ANSWERS SHORT, & TO THE POINT - I've already read through the forum, not looking to read a novel

smittty

Re: What do you feed your Dogs?

Post by smittty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am

diamond hi-energy

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am

Mostly low & mid price Purina depending on the dog(Dog Chow & Purina One). If it's really cold or I'm hunting the dogs super hard, I'll switch to Diamond Extreme Athlete to get the higher protein and fat(for less money, higher fat, and more protein than Pro Plan--I really like Pro Plan, but $50 a bag is a little high for me with 5 dogs) :roll:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am

Pastor Brown wrote:Just curious what you all are feeding your dogs.

PLEASE KEEP ANSWERS SHORT, & TO THE POINT - I've already read through the forum, not looking to read a novel
If you have already read through the forum, why would you bother asking this question?

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:44 am

ACooper wrote:

If you have already read through the forum, why would you bother asking this question?
because most of the posts are just guys arguing with each other, & not giving definitive answers. Others that are good, are nearly ten years old.

JuliaH

Post by JuliaH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 am

Pro Plan Performance, because it does for my dogs what they need :) End of novel! :)

Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Dog food. Preferably with corn and chicken by - products as the main ingredients.

mask

Post by mask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Diamond extreme athlete. I hunt in cold very rough and steep country and this feed keeps weight on better while feeding less than other brands.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I feed R##. You will have to figure it out. I couldn't spell it out for fear of being persecuted and burned at the stake by 90% of this forum. Sorry wish I could be of more help.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm

The Pride Pro 26/20 & Puppy 30/20 mixed half & half.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 pm

I always find the dog food posts entertaining. The truth is that I do not know what I feed my dogs. I have been buying the same thing from the same small feed store for years. I pull up and the fellow throws two bags in the back of my truck and I pay him and leave. When I get home I immediately dump it in a large feed bin and throw the bags away. I know it's in a green bag and my dogs seem to do well on it.

agilityHBIC

Post by agilityHBIC » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

ACANA (I switch between the flavors - right now Pacifica).
Althea de les Chasseur "Replay" (8 y/o Epagneul Breton)
_____ Sur le Delavan "_____" (unborn Epagneul Breton)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:I feed R##. You will have to figure it out. I couldn't spell it out for fear of being persecuted and burned at the stake by 90% of this forum. Sorry wish I could be of more help.
Subtle...no, that is not a dog food.

I feed any dog food that delivers benefits that track the ingredients at a price that is workable...there are many from which to choose.
I do like a package with a dog on it....a scattergun on the bag would be good also.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Dog food.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

We have pointers, went from PPP to TOTW wetland. Solid stool, great energy , i buy into the no grain thing and it makes me happy, but it is pricey.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm

i only feed bacon grease
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

natel24 wrote:i only feed bacon grease
Lol, I like to add a little lard to the bacon fat...

rons

Post by rons » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Taste of The Wild High Prairie Canine with bison & venison 32% protein

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Subtle...no, that is not a dog food.
Ok. How about I don't feed any commercially made dog food. Just the kind that comes with feathers or fur.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:00 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Subtle...no, that is not a dog food.
Ok. How about I don't feed any commercially made dog food. Just the kind that comes with feathers or fur.
How about, for this thread, the three letters r, a & w......and then ending it.

It is your opinion on what is best to feed a dog, your decision on whether to feed it and your choice of what constitutes it....operative word, "your".
At a point, when one begins to proselytize and promote rather than simply give an opinion that problems quickly arise....in other words, the born-again belief of "I have the true answer" is very unpalatable when others find their choice that has worked for decades is....just swell.
Born-agains, whether relating to alcohol, religion or dog food, often find it impossible to not try and convert and tell how they have suffered and survived...much like the old guy standing outside of many Kroger stores...just waiting with a bible and a verse.
Take the advice and lay down the bible.
Go give your dog a pat instead.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:00 am

Diamond Performance and road killed venison

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:11 am

I currently feed Sportmix in the B&W bag. I find my dogs do very well on it so far. I have been feeding it for 1+ years now. I am glad the pro shared their opinion of this dog food with me long ago.
I have tried many others and some that I thought were a good buy are:
Exceed Chicken and Rice and the Exceed Lamb and Rice that Sam's Club carries. I really liked the Chicken and Rice
Diamond Extreme Athlete and High Energy

I enjoy reading the dog food posts and I thank Ezzy for sharing his knowledge of this topic as we'll.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:39 am

Mountaineer wrote:How about, for this thread, the three letters r, a & w......and then ending it.It is your opinion on what is best to feed a dog, your decision on whether to feed it and your choice of what constitutes it....operative word, "your".At a point, when one begins to proselytize and promote rather than simply give an opinion that problems quickly arise....in other words, the born-again belief of "I have the true answer" is very unpalatable when others find their choice that has worked for decades is....just swell. Born-agains, whether relating to alcohol, religion or dog food, often find it impossible to not try and convert and tell how they have suffered and survived...much like the old guy standing outside of many Kroger stores...just waiting with a bible and a verse.Take the advice and lay down the bible.Go give your dog a pat instead.
And here's where I disagree again as I see my posts as simply informing on what I feed as that is what was asked, not promoting anything. And how do you know that your kibble has worked just as well unless you have had two dogs and fed one kibble and one raw for life to make that claim. I just think the Pastor wants to see what's out there and what might be worth looking into. So you can stop collecting fire wood and put your matches away.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 am

cjhills wrote:Diamond Performance and road killed venison
Now that's a great way to use those roadkills rather then see them rot and go to waste. :wink:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:How about, for this thread, the three letters r, a & w......and then ending it.It is your opinion on what is best to feed a dog, your decision on whether to feed it and your choice of what constitutes it....operative word, "your".At a point, when one begins to proselytize and promote rather than simply give an opinion that problems quickly arise....in other words, the born-again belief of "I have the true answer" is very unpalatable when others find their choice that has worked for decades is....just swell. Born-agains, whether relating to alcohol, religion or dog food, often find it impossible to not try and convert and tell how they have suffered and survived...much like the old guy standing outside of many Kroger stores...just waiting with a bible and a verse.Take the advice and lay down the bible.Go give your dog a pat instead.
And here's where I disagree again as I see my posts as simply informing on what I feed as that is what was asked, not promoting anything. And how do you know that your kibble has worked just as well unless you have had two dogs and fed one kibble and one raw for life to make that claim. I just think the Pastor wants to see what's out there and what might be worth looking into. So you can stop collecting fire wood and put your matches away.
You might try a fire tiger Wiggle Wart, a jointed blue Rapala or a plain old doughball...though the doughball works best drifted and the others, trolled or cast.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Purina Pro Plan. The fact that they weren't sourcing Chinese wheat gluten and not contaminated during the 2007 gluten contamination scare gives me some comfort.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I currently feed Sportmix in the B&W bag. I find my dogs do very well on it so far. I have been feeding it for 1+ years now. I am glad the pro shared their opinion of this dog food with me long ago.
I have tried many others and some that I thought were a good buy are:
Exceed Chicken and Rice and the Exceed Lamb and Rice that Sam's Club carries. I really liked the Chicken and Rice
Diamond Extreme Athlete and High Energy

I enjoy reading the dog food posts and I thank Ezzy for sharing his knowledge of this topic as we'll.
Same here! I am very pleased with the B&W Sportmix. I started out with the blue bag though and had trouble keeping weight on. I asked my feed store to start carrying the black bag [24/20] and they said they would give it a try. It has become a big seller for them.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Diamond extreme althlete to normal hunting dogs and Dr. Tim's Momentum to the spazzy ones. Used to feed Taste of the Wild but price forced me to drop back to diamond.

czeger

Post by czeger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 am

I feed 4health brand from tsc feeding the puppy right now she seems to be doing well on it believe it made by diamond

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:46 pm

I use Dr. Tim's as well and find it about the same price as Pro Plan when all is said and done. The bag I am feeding now was free. It was a couple days late due to UPS making an error, so they refunded the price and told me to keep it.

The best way to try this food is to buy it online and sign up immediately for "auto-ship", pick every 4 weeks. This way you get an immediate 15% off the first order. If you are unhappy or just don't want to continue just cancel "auto ship". If you are ever unhappy they refund the price no questions asked, just like LL Bean.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:08 pm

I am included in the group that searches for the best dog food for my dogs as I run them regular and hunt with them as often as possible. I also test and occasionally have a dog to trial. I have led myself to believe that my dogs need a premium dog food. I am good friends with many professional guides. I find it interesting that two of these guides who will average hunting their dogs 3 to 4 days each week throughout the season down here if the days are averaged out for all six months of the hunting season. At this time, they are down 6 days each week for Jan and looks like Feb as well at this pace. Last season these two guides decided to stop spending the extra money and see how their dogs responded to feeding regular Purina Dog Chow. To my surprise, they can tell no difference. Their dogs perform with great stamina and stay healthy and have not shown any drawbacks from going to the regular Purina Dog Chow. This makes me wonder if we all have fallen victim to the dog food marketers.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Dr. Tim's went to $66 for me in Utah for 40lbs which is too much! I pay less than $35 for a 40lb bag of Diamond Extreme Athlete 32/25 (5-10 bags at a time) and will keep feeding it. In the summer I'll change to Diamond 24/20 and it's $37 for a 50lb bag. Good stuff. I add some chicken necks (for clean teeth) and hamburger several times a month.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I am included in the group that searches for the best dog food for my dogs as I run them regular and hunt with them as often as possible. I also test and occasionally have a dog to trial. I have led myself to believe that my dogs need a premium dog food. I am good friends with many professional guides. I find it interesting that two of these guides who will average hunting their dogs 3 to 4 days each week throughout the season down here if the days are averaged out for all six months of the hunting season. At this time, they are down 6 days each week for Jan and looks like Feb as well at this pace. Last season these two guides decided to stop spending the extra money and see how their dogs responded to feeding regular Purina Dog Chow. To my surprise, they can tell no difference. Their dogs perform with great stamina and stay healthy and have not shown any drawbacks from going to the regular Purina Dog Chow. This makes me wonder if we all have fallen victim to the dog food marketers.
Imagine that! :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I am included in the group that searches for the best dog food for my dogs as I run them regular and hunt with them as often as possible. I also test and occasionally have a dog to trial. I have led myself to believe that my dogs need a premium dog food. I am good friends with many professional guides. I find it interesting that two of these guides who will average hunting their dogs 3 to 4 days each week throughout the season down here if the days are averaged out for all six months of the hunting season. At this time, they are down 6 days each week for Jan and looks like Feb as well at this pace. Last season these two guides decided to stop spending the extra money and see how their dogs responded to feeding regular Purina Dog Chow. To my surprise, they can tell no difference. Their dogs perform with great stamina and stay healthy and have not shown any drawbacks from going to the regular Purina Dog Chow. This makes me wonder if we all have fallen victim to the dog food marketers.
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't happen. Glad you posted this as it just explains why I sit back and smile as I read why everyone feeds what they do. But you don't dare say anything or you will have another dog food war.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
That says it all. :)

I feed Pro Plan Senior
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice

wildwindgundogs

Post by wildwindgundogs » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:58 pm

cjhills wrote:Diamond Performance and road killed venison
I agree completely, I feed Diamond Performance 30/20, deer scrapes and Probios. If i run out of deer scapes then i do dog food and 2 hard boiled eggs a day.
Wild Wind GunDOGS
Josh Holden
320-460-0434

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 am

Purina pro plan

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:53 am

wildwindgundogs wrote: I agree completely, I feed Diamond Performance 30/20, deer scrapes and Probios. If i run out of deer scapes then i do dog food and 2 hard boiled eggs a day.
Now your talk'in my language. You guys got the goods!!

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 am

ezzy333 wrote:Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't happen. Glad you posted this as it just explains why I sit back and smile as I read why everyone feeds what they do. Ezzy
Even me! :cry:

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 am

I've tried a lot of foods both high end and low end, and many in between. I'm currently feeding my two large dogs, who spend most of their time sleeping, Purina Dog Chow. They've been on this for over a year and are doing just fine.

I have one smaller dog that is more active and is shown in conformation. She is fed Pro Plan Performance. At some point, I'll probably just switch her off and feed them all the regular Purina Dog Chow.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 am

I feed Kent Active Dog

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:27 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't happen. Glad you posted this as it just explains why I sit back and smile as I read why everyone feeds what they do. Ezzy
Even you. After spending a great deal of my life working in the nutrition and manufacturing area of livestock and pet food, seeing the feeding test of hundred of dogs and the results, I thought I could help a lot of fellow dog owners out in that area so I have spent 10 years or so on this forum but have made little head way. What I forgot to consider is you can't educate people who don't want to learn. So, I know that a few have learned, the great percentage of pet owners who have a dog or two are convinced that what they are doing is the best and in some cases feel the need to tell other what they are doing is wrong. That is the case with practically every raw feeder I have run into. And though I think we all agree it is a good way to feed if you could do it properly it just doesn't resonate with them that there are other ways to feed that actually work out better since some one else is able to homogenize the feed to where you can feed the same amount of every ingredient everyday rather than just feed a hunk of meat and have no idea what the protein, fat, or mineral and vitamins the dog is getting.

So rather than beat my head against a brick wall, an except when bad info is being put out for new people wanting to learn, it is easier to just sit back and smile. Just keep smiling!. My new motto.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:51 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Even you. After spending a great deal of my life working in the nutrition and manufacturing area of livestock and pet food, seeing the feeding test of hundred of dogs and the results, I thought I could help a lot of fellow dog owners out in that area so I have spent 10 years or so on this forum but have made little head way. What I forgot to consider is you can't educate people who don't want to learn. So, I know that a few have learned, the great percentage of pet owners who have a dog or two are convinced that what they are doing is the best and in some cases feel the need to tell other what they are doing is wrong. That is the case with practically every raw feeder I have run into. And though I think we all agree it is a good way to feed if you could do it properly it just doesn't resonate with them that there are other ways to feed that actually work out better since some one else is able to homogenize the feed to where you can feed the same amount of every ingredient everyday rather than just feed a hunk of meat and have no idea what the protein, fat, or mineral and vitamins the dog is getting.

So rather than beat my head against a brick wall, an except when bad info is being put out for new people wanting to learn, it is easier to just sit back and smile. Just keep smiling!. My new motto.

Ezzy
Because 'fillers' ie corn is the absolute WORST thing you can give to your dog right? :roll:

It couldn't be that corn is a phenominal source of quick process carbs for a working dog. Nope. unless youre paying $80.00 per bag and it says 'biologically appropriate' its just garbage. Apparently my 110 lb, solid as a rock chessie missed that memo when he brought back his 165 th bird of the year this past season. :roll:

But hey, what do us dumb Canadians know. I only run my dogs in -25 Celsius, in two feet of snow, and inches of ice over water.

Im with you Ezzy.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
wildwindgundogs wrote: I agree completely, I feed Diamond Performance 30/20, deer scrapes and Probios. If i run out of deer scapes then i do dog food and 2 hard boiled eggs a day.
Now your talk'in my language. You guys got the goods!!
I'm not really talking your language or a advocate of raw. I only do it because it is cheap, fairly easy for me because a couple times a week somebody hits a deer within a mile of my house. With the weather we are having I don't need a freezer. It is very good for putting weight on the dogs that are hard keepers and the ribs do a great job of cleaning teeth. It is not necessarily better for the dogs nor is it for everybody. Right now it works for me.............................Cj

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Even you. After spending a great deal of my life working in the nutrition and manufacturing area of livestock and pet food, seeing the feeding test of hundred of dogs and the results, I thought I could help a lot of fellow dog owners out in that area so I have spent 10 years or so on this forum but have made little head way. What I forgot to consider is you can't educate people who don't want to learn. So, I know that a few have learned, the great percentage of pet owners who have a dog or two are convinced that what they are doing is the best and in some cases feel the need to tell other what they are doing is wrong. That is the case with practically every raw feeder I have run into. And though I think we all agree it is a good way to feed if you could do it properly it just doesn't resonate with them that there are other ways to feed that actually work out better since some one else is able to homogenize the feed to where you can feed the same amount of every ingredient everyday rather than just feed a hunk of meat and have no idea what the protein, fat, or mineral and vitamins the dog is getting.
Well then let me be the first raw feeder you have come across to admit that I don't see anything wrong with feeding good quality kibble that has a proven track record. And to keep it short and to the point I feed raw for about 3 basic reasons. 1st- I know to an extent from research, film, and even seeing it for myself in the wild what a dogs closest relatives eat to stay in top condition to be able to deal with things in the wild domestic dogs will never have to. And meat, bones, and innards are always at the top of that list be it feather or fur. 2nd- It gives me real satisfaction watching my dog eat and enjoy his food knowing its the closest thing to the real deal he can get. And he always finishes every scrap in his bowl and looks under it when he's done hoping he missed a piece somewhere. Having said that I have seen other dogs that pick at their kibble, leave half a bowl uneaten at times and even refuse to eat it in some cases. 3rd- I think it is more of a sales pitch or propaganda for any commercial dog food manufacturer to label their product as a perfect or completely balanced nutrition since no one really knows what that is, meaning there is no known recipe or group of ingredients that anyone can prove best for a dog. Having said this I would rather see a dog eat kibble then see someone who has done little or no research in to feeding a raw diet just feed some raw meat and think they are doing good by the dog. If someone sees what I feed as wrong or innapproporiate then they need to come see my dog, even take him to a vet or better yet RUN him and then come back and tell me there is a problem with his diet and I'll go to the nearest store and buy a big bag of Pro Plan. Just to be fair I do believe dry dog food has improved and does prove to provide adequate nutrition but just can not be put in the same class as a raw natural diet. And that's just my honest opinion...

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

cjhills wrote: I'm not really talking your language or a advocate of raw. I only do it because it is cheap, fairly easy for me because a couple times a week somebody hits a deer within a mile of my house. With the weather we are having I don't need a freezer. It is very good for putting weight on the dogs that are hard keepers and the ribs do a great job of cleaning teeth. It is not necessarily better for the dogs nor is it for everybody. Right now it works for me.............................Cj
Sorry, didn't really mean to label you as a raw feeder, I just think its a good way to make use of all those road kills. I have heard the phrase many times on here, (putting or keeping weight on the dogs) and I don't quite get it, is it because you have to feed more kibble and it's that your trying to keep expense's down or is it just some dogs no matter how much kibble you feed cant gain weight?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:41 pm

rinker wrote:I always find the dog food posts entertaining. The truth is that I do not know what I feed my dogs. I have been buying the same thing from the same small feed store for years. I pull up and the fellow throws two bags in the back of my truck and I pay him and leave. When I get home I immediately dump it in a large feed bin and throw the bags away. I know it's in a green bag and my dogs seem to do well on it.
ROFLMBO... priceless.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
cjhills wrote: I'm not really talking your language or a advocate of raw. I only do it because it is cheap, fairly easy for me because a couple times a week somebody hits a deer within a mile of my house. With the weather we are having I don't need a freezer. It is very good for putting weight on the dogs that are hard keepers and the ribs do a great job of cleaning teeth. It is not necessarily better for the dogs nor is it for everybody. Right now it works for me.............................Cj
Sorry, didn't really mean to label you as a raw feeder, I just think its a good way to make use of all those road kills. I have heard the phrase many times on here, (putting or keeping weight on the dogs) and I don't quite get it, is it because you have to feed more kibble and it's that your trying to keep expense's down or is it just some dogs no matter how much kibble you feed cant gain weight?
What don't you get. If you had more than one dog you would realize that they metabolize food differently. Some dogs and some people will not put on weight on a normal diet no matter what or how much they eat. How well they like the food has nothing to do with how good it is for them. I really like bear tracks ice cream but don't think I could live on it alone. The life expectancy of a Isle Royal Wolf, who lives on natural food without any enemies, is about Six to eight years.........................Cj