When to switch from pup to adult food

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 am

At what age do you switch from pup to adult food.
mm

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: When to switch from pup to adult food

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 am

I have never fed "puppy food". IMO, I just another marketing ploy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 am

No puppy food here, either :)

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

I switch at 12 to 14 months for a "large breed" (adult weight 50 lbs or more).

IMO, It’s important for puppy owners to feed their puppies food that is specially formulated for growing puppy bodies. Puppies have much different nutritional needs than adult dogs, and proper puppy food is essential for them to grow and thrive. Puppy food is designed specifically for the nutritional needs of young and still growing dogs, with twice the daily nutritional requirements that a mature dog needs. Puppies are growing and developing rapidly -- in their bones, muscles, joints, internal organs and immune system, to name but a few of the developmental needs that are being met by nutrition. A well balanced puppy food contains those nutrients that a puppy specifically need for this purpose, nutrients that are not necessary once the puppy has finished growing into a dog and that are not added to adult formula dog foods.
Among other nutritional demands, puppies require higher energy levels and higher protein levels than most adult dogs to reach optimum growth. They also have different calcium and phosphorus needs. As a result, feeding a puppy food that is formulated to meet these specialized needs is a good idea for a growing puppy. Puppy foods (also sometimes referred to as growth formulas) are produced to meet these special nutritional demands and provide optimum levels of energy, protein, calcium, phosphorus and the other nutrients that growing puppies need to thrive.

Can puppies be raised on adult dog foods instead?
In truth, yes, they can. However, though a puppy fed an adult diet may do okay on the diet, he may not actually thrive on the diet. Though some of the puppy’s nutritional needs may be met by simply increasing the amount of food consumed, other needs may remain somewhat unbalanced.

Imbalances in nutritional needs can lead to many health problems. For instance, particularly in large breed puppies, imbalances in calcium and phosphorus can lead to abnormalities in bone development. And excessive calorie intake can lead to a puppy that becomes obese, leading to a number of health issues as the puppy ages.Feeding a well-balanced puppy food instead of an adult dog food diet will help avoid these types of imbalances.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:17 am

Never have fed puppy food, Labs, Pointers, shorthairs. I Don't switch to a senior feed either in old age.

They've always got the same hipo feed adults get. FWIW
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm

I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 which is branded for "all life stages." I don't know enough about dog food to debate the topic but my 2 dogs seem to do well on it and my springer has been eating it since he switched to solids.

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm

I switch at a year. I have always fed puppy food. Supposed to be good for growing dog but also very good for proper brain development. I want a smart dog.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:10 am

You should be feeding a high quality 30/20 food. You should not need to feed puppy food if you do as that is all puppy food is - a food with a high protein, high fat content (30/20). "Puppy" food is just a marketing tool. Feed a good, high quality all stages food and don't sweat about switching ever.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:59 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:You should be feeding a high quality 30/20 food. You should not need to feed puppy food if you do as that is all puppy food is - a food with a high protein, high fat content (30/20). "Puppy" food is just a marketing tool. Feed a good, high quality all stages food and don't sweat about switching ever.
Are you saying they are being slightly dishonest so they can make more money on their products?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:38 am

Yeah, what's up with a pet feed business trying to make money? What a rip off! They should invest millions in R&D and marketing and then ignore everything they learn! Shame on them for promoting a product that while probably not necessary, does more good than harm!
IMO we should ALL talk to our payroll departments ASAP and tell them we will not accept a paycheck from this day forward because no one should make money on a product or service!
Down with corporate or personal profit!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:45 am

shags wrote: Down with corporate or personal profit!

Up with welfare!!

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:58 am

shags wrote:Yeah, what's up with a pet feed business trying to make money? What a rip off! They should invest millions in R&D and marketing and then ignore everything they learn! Shame on them for promoting a product that while probably not necessary, does more good than harm!
Has nothing to do with profit! Why should anyone trust them if profit is so important that they have to mislead the consumer. What else have they misled the consumer on if being completely honest is of no real concern to them? :| :| :wink:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:49 am

Back to puppy nutrition for minute. ... I had read somewhere that too much protein at early development could cause overly rapid bone growth and joint issues. I have a lab which came to us at 11 months age that has joint and skeletal issues. I've always wondered if it was a feeding issue or strictly hereditary.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 am

roaniecowpony wrote:Back to puppy nutrition for minute. ... I had read somewhere that too much protein at early development could cause overly rapid bone growth and joint issues. I have a lab which came to us at 11 months age that has joint and skeletal issues. I've always wondered if it was a feeding issue or strictly hereditary.
You likely have an hereditary issue that is exacerbated by a feeding issue.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
shags wrote:Yeah, what's up with a pet feed business trying to make money? What a rip off! They should invest millions in R&D and marketing and then ignore everything they learn! Shame on them for promoting a product that while probably not necessary, does more good than harm!
Has nothing to do with profit! Why should anyone trust them if profit is so important that they have to mislead the consumer. What else have they misled the consumer on if being completely honest is of no real concern to them? :| :| :wink:
Tell me again the difference in a dog food company making money or the grocery store where you buy your food without any guarantee what it contains is doing. We see you jump in on someone's post and try to ridicule it. I have no idea why you feel the need to do that but we all can live without it. We know you like to feed raw and even though we have pointed out the many pitfalls of doing that we are not telling you to quit on every post. Just do it and let the rest of the people do their thing without the continual bashing of everything that someone posts. There are good and bad with everything we do so let it rest.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 am

slistoe wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:Back to puppy nutrition for minute. ... I had read somewhere that too much protein at early development could cause overly rapid bone growth and joint issues. I have a lab which came to us at 11 months age that has joint and skeletal issues. I've always wondered if it was a feeding issue or strictly hereditary.
I have read that is an issue with giant breeds like great danes or newfies, but doesn't really affect other sized dogs.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 am

I think he has to repeat himself so much in order to convince himself he's doing the right thing as he is trying to convince the other 99% of us.
From all your forth giving info I'm sure you by ORGANIC when ever possible & you don't mid paying more just because it says ORGANIC even tough it's a marketing tool as well as any other AD!!
He needs some mind modification!! :roll:

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:54 pm

That's a nice sized Mako in your profile pric. How much did it weight? I might live in Wisco now but was born and raised bouncing back between camps...Cape Cod and Block Island so when I see a fat Mako on the dock I get excited... and Oh, nice spaniel too!! Please PM me to discuss and try to answer your question. Thanks

mm

Post by mm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:49 pm

That one with my dog was around 220 if I remember right. Here's a picture of a little one from this past year.
mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 pm

IMO we should ALL talk to our payroll departments ASAP and tell them we will not accept a paycheck from this day forward because no one should make money on a product or service!
Down with corporate or personal profit!

Don't know about all, but the taste of the wild puppy formula I feed is the same price as the adult food I feed my other dogs, I do notice the size in the kibble, its smaller and I will check the ingredients and compare amounts.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:29 am

SubMariner wrote:
slistoe wrote:
I have read that is an issue with giant breeds like great danes or newfies, but doesn't really affect other sized dogs.
I have seen a couple Lab puppies sort of knuckle over and under on their front ankles from feeding issues, that usually clears itself up in a few days to a week. Any joint issues that are long term i would think would lean more towards an inherited problem in the dog. Neutering young labs can cause issues in growth as well that are permanent issues.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 am

Just a reminder, the studies done many years ago found calcium to be the issue, not protein. However, if you overfeed any food, you can have skeletal issues with a dog that is predisposed to such problems.

As to the OP's question... I've heard/read/seen people switch at 4, 6, 8 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years, always feed adult, feed large breed puppy, or feed an all life stages. So, there really is no definite answer.

I've fed puppy, and adult/all life stages foods over the years to various pups and all did fine regardless of what I fed.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:33 pm

mm wrote:At what age do you switch from pup to adult food.
mm
About 8 weeks old !

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:36 am

Speaking about marketing ploys, the "All Life Stages" is BS.
That's like saying "All weather tires" are the best tires you can get, regardless of road conditions.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Del Lolo wrote:Speaking about marketing ploys, the "All Life Stages" is BS.
That's like saying "All weather tires" are the best tires you can get, regardless of road conditions.
That maybe your opinion but that is all it is. Most people like it but no one says you have to. However everyone has the right to their opinion. There are requirements that must be met to label a food as all life stages.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
That maybe your opinion but that is all it is. Most people like it but no one says you have to. However everyone has the right to their opinion. There are requirements that must be met to label a food as all life stages.

Ezzy

Opinion based on science -- and your opinion is based on ______________________________.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Just as a side note, all companies use marketing ploys to promote their particular product as the best there is. Just the way marketing works.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

Opinion based on science -- and your opinion is based on ______________________________.
My opinion is based on nutrition requirements the same as the legal opinion that allows you to claim what a food is formulated to supply to the animal.

Senah

Post by Senah » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am

Our breeder is known for excellent hunting and NAVDA dogs, and our guy is very healthy - well muscled, trim, tireless, and shiny coat. The breeder started him on adult food from Costco and recommended that when we got him at 8 weeks we not change food as so much else is changing. He has turned out great, and that is the system all the breeder's clients use, and he gets very positive feedback on all the dogs. It's also economical, which we are fans of.