Does anyone use black and gold dog food

coach571

Post by coach571 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Does anyone use Black And Gold food and what are your thoughts?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Does anyone use black and gold dog food

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I have never used it but I know several that did a year or two ago and they liked it. But haven't heard anything about it lately. I imagine if it was good it still is and would be worth a try if it available at a decent price in your area.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fithunter

Post by Fithunter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:08 pm

I feed it to my dog. I switched up Purina Pro plan because my dog would throw up occasionally on after eating it. I switched to black gold and she has not had any problems since. Also, seems to keep weight on a little more. Which is good for my pup since she runs pretty hard. It is also cost less. I think I paid $35 for a 50 lb bag if I remember correctly. Me and my dog are very happy with it.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:04 pm

I liked it and fed it for several years, it has become difficult to find in my area.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 am

I used it for several years and was fine with it. I work on a different side of town now and go to a different feed store that doesn't carry it.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:40 am

I have fed it and liked it but got harder to get in my area and the price went way up just to get it.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 am

We used to buy it by the pallet when we were feeding coyote hounds. They did pretty good on it, but the feed guy got a real job and it is not as available as it once was.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

coach571

Post by coach571 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks guys just started using the 26/18 and can find it at a good price my Brittany seems to like it

tieflyer

Post by tieflyer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Not sure if you ever use this site but I thought you might want to view it.http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 pm

tieflyer wrote:Not sure if you ever use this site but I thought you might want to view it.http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/
This site is put out by a dentist and is just his idea of what he likes with no basis in fact that I can find.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:17 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
tieflyer wrote:Not sure if you ever use this site but I thought you might want to view it.http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/
This site is put out by a dentist and is just his idea of what he likes with no basis in fact that I can find.
I wouldn't waste my time on that site.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 am

ezzy333 wrote: This site is put out by a dentist and is just his idea of what he likes with no basis in fact that I can find.
birddogger wrote:I wouldn't waste my time on that site.Charlie
Another good reason to feed raw. I don't have to worry about weather or not stuff like this is true or not. When you feed raw, what you feed is what you get, no hidden ingredients... :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 am

BH, because there are biased web sites, it is a reason to feed raw? Hidden ingredients? I don't think so. You make no sense. By now we all know you feed raw and nobody cares but you just won't leave it alone. :roll: :roll:

Charlie

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 am

birddogger wrote:BH, because there are biased web sites, it is a reason to feed raw? Hidden ingredients? I don't think so. You make no sense. By now we all know you feed raw and nobody cares but you just won't leave it alone. :roll: :roll:

Charlie
Well, then can you and Ezzy tell me if the information presented above is true or not? If its true I wouldn't want to use this kibble. Or maybe we should call on Monsterdad to verify these ingredients.. He said some kibble makers don't even have to list some of the potentially harmful ingredients used because of the fact that they are put there by other manufactures of ingredients used in the kibble being made. If I feed raw chicken, all that's in it is raw chicken, now does it make sense?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
birddogger wrote:BH, because there are biased web sites, it is a reason to feed raw? Hidden ingredients? I don't think so. You make no sense. By now we all know you feed raw and nobody cares but you just won't leave it alone. :roll: :roll:

Charlie
Well, then can you and Ezzy tell me if the information presented above is true or not? If its true I wouldn't want to use this kibble. Or maybe we should call on Monsterdad to verify these ingredients.. He said some kibble makers don't even have to list some of the potentially harmful ingredients used because of the fact that they are put there by other manufactures of ingredients used in the kibble being made. If I feed raw chicken, all that's in it is raw chicken, now does it make sense?
Did you raise the chickens yourself? There may be potentially harmful, hidden ingredients in them - put there by the other manufacturer.
I really hope you are putting as much thought and effort into what you feed yourself and your family.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 am

slistoe wrote:Did you raise the chickens yourself? There may be potentially harmful, hidden ingredients in them - put there by the other manufacturer.I really hope you are putting as much thought and effort into what you feed yourself and your family.
Thanks for the concern. :) I don't raise my own chickens but I do get fresh eggs from a farmer we know because of how he cares for his chickens. I also plant a lot of vegetables we use. We do buy antibiotic free chicken for the family but not the dog. He gets regular store bought chicken when there are mark down sales. He also gets wild game and some road kill too.
I guess when one buys meat from the store we put our trust in what's on the package. The problem with kibble is no one really knows where half the ingredients come from or sometimes even what the meat source is. It's not really much effort when you know what's good for both your family and your pets.

tieflyer

Post by tieflyer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:42 am

ezzy333 wrote:
I think the list of ingredients of each brand is accurate and can be verified by reading the bag of a particular product that catches your interest. In this way the site may be useful. I did not mean to stir up the bee's nest. Dog food brands seem to be a volatile subject on this site. " I come in peace".

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 pm

No problem tieflyer, it's not you.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

tieflyer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I think the list of ingredients of each brand is accurate and can be verified by reading the bag of a particular product that catches your interest. In this way the site may be useful. I did not mean to stir up the bee's nest. Dog food brands seem to be a volatile subject on this site. " I come in peace".
Tieflyer, I wasn't taking a shot at you but just reporting what has been discovered from research that has been done several moons ago. You are right he does show you what the bags of feed have on them but that tells you little about the formulation or the quality of a feed. Most of the feeds that are on the market that have been there for several years are pretty good feeds since they don't last long if there customers are not happy with their products and continue to buy them. A very high percentage of what you read and hear iss put out by the marketing division of the companies and not the nutrition department.

Ezzy

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:18 am

I used to feed the black bag 26/18 and a good friend of mine fed the blue bag 24/20. This was several years ago. When this food became available in my area, many people switched from Diamond to Black Gold. It was popular with guys who ran coondogs. I liked it and and my buddy liked it.

At some point, Black Gold changed production mills or added a new one and had some issues. At times, it was hard to get the product. I would go to get a bag and be told they were out. Come back in a few days and they might have the shipment in. Went through this for several weeks and finally switched to something else. Eventually, the production issues were solved and the food was always available. But by this time, I was feeding something else.

Considered changing back at one point a few years ago, but the food had gone way up in price in comparison to what it was when I was regularly feeding it before and I never went back. However, it was a good food when I used it and my dogs did well on it.

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I fed it for a while and really liked it. The only problem was that I had to order it over the internet because there are no Kent feed dealers in my area. When it came time to order some more one time Fed Ex messed up the delivery and I ran out and had to feed something different. Decided to switch him to something I can purchase locally, but if they ever do begin to sell it locally I will more than likely switch back to it.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:

Charlie
You ever checked the incidence of salmonella in raw chicken....you probably wouldn't be nearly as proud of what you're feeding if you had.