Raw Egg

Ez4

Raw Egg

Post by Ez4 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

I occasionally give my dogs a raw egg with their food. They love it and it gives their coat some luster. Anyone else do this or have a reason not to?

Bounty_Hunter

Re: Raw Egg

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 am

Ez4 wrote:
I occasionally give my dogs a raw egg with their food. They love it and it gives their coat some luster. Anyone else do this or have a reason not to?
I do, but not every day also. Can't think of a good reason not to, and the shell ground up as well ... 8)

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 am

Having to clean the bowl well after may not be a reason not to do it, but is something to be mindful of.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm

According to my firend Doc E : Albumin (egg white) must be coagulated before it can be assimilated. It can be coagulated by cooking or chemically.
If it's coagulated chemically (in the body), it takes large amounts of Biotin to do so. This can lead to biotin deficiency.
Egg yolk can be well digested and used regardless of being raw or cooked.
The best way to give egg (for a shiney coat) is sunny side up or over easy...... Just as long as the egg white is actually white and not clear.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Del Lolo wrote:According to my firend Doc E : Albumin (egg white) must be coagulated before it can be assimilated. It can be coagulated by cooking or chemically.
If it's coagulated chemically (in the body), it takes large amounts of Biotin to do so. This can lead to biotin deficiency.
The best way to give egg (for a shiney coat) is sunny side up or over easy...... Just as long as the egg white is actually white and not clear.
I get the strangest feeling that you are Doc E. :lol: Not that I care but I wonder what would make me think that. :?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:47 pm

I tried giving raw egg to my dogs for a bit. It loosened them up.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Del Lolo wrote:According to my firend Doc E : Albumin (egg white) must be coagulated before it can be assimilated. It can be coagulated by cooking or chemically.
I don't like cooking for my dog so he gets everything raw.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fe ... od-or-bad/

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:50 pm

on a side note, One thing the raw food folk kill me with is the statement, "Cooking the egg removes most of the nutritional value" All I can say is show me the science, because my personal BS meter is pinned off the scale.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 pm

aulrich wrote:on a side note, One thing the raw food folk kill me with is the statement, "Cooking the egg removes most of the nutritional value" All I can say is show me the science, because my personal BS meter is pinned off the scale.
I don't believe much is lost in cooking an egg but like I said I just don't like cooking for my dog, besides, egg eaters in the wild don't cook the eggs they steal.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Ez4 wrote: Anyone else do this or have a reason not to?
Nope!
I like eggs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
aulrich wrote:on a side note, One thing the raw food folk kill me with is the statement, "Cooking the egg removes most of the nutritional value" All I can say is show me the science, because my personal BS meter is pinned off the scale.
I don't believe much is lost in cooking an egg but like I said I just don't like cooking for my dog, besides, egg eaters in the wild don't cook the eggs they steal.
Looking at your last 3 or 4 posts and everyone of them come down to your favorite phrase "I think". Sorry but what you think is just that, your thoughts, and have little to do with reality and nothing to do with what someone else should do or follow. Nothing wrong with having thoughts but before they should be given much credence there needs to be some evidence that they are fact. And the closest you have come to that is the phrase I hear you make is " mother nature can't be wrong". And I think we all know mother nature is often wrong if you are using that in the area of what to eat. How about mushrooms/ But more realistic is that you can find everything you need in nature but sadly Mother Nature has never felt the need to label what she produces so we would never know what ot how much to eat if we didn't do the research and prove what is needed and how to get it.

No matter though since all you are able to post is "I believe" and that trumps everything else.
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Looking at your last 3 or 4 posts and everyone of them come down to your favorite phrase "I think". Sorry but what you think is just that, your thoughts, and have little to do with reality and nothing to do with what someone else should do or follow. Nothing wrong with having thoughts but before they should be given much credence there needs to be some evidence that they are fact. And the closest you have come to that is the phrase I hear you make is " mother nature can't be wrong". And I think we all know mother nature is often wrong if you are using that in the area of what to eat. How about mushrooms/ But more realistic is that you can find everything you need in nature but sadly Mother Nature has never felt the need to label what she produces so we would never know what ot how much to eat if we didn't do the research and prove what is needed and how to get it.No matter though since all you are able to post is "I believe" and that trumps everything else.Ezzy
Well, the question at hand didn't seem life or death so I threw some thought in with a little info. Eggs are fine served either way to a dog, just better done on a limited basis. As for mushrooms, some of natures deadliest toxins are found in mushrooms. I wont go there. I do harvest different varieties during the spring and fall but I still wont go there. An old saying to live by, { There are old mushroom pickers and there are bold mushroom pickers, but there are no old bold mushroom pickers.}

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:54 am

I think in most cases a good quality dog feed should do the trick however I have a couple of males with high metabolism that I supplement their feed with fish oil tablets. I told myself to stay away from these food discussions :wink: so I'm out of here. :)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 am

Eggs and oil will shine up the coat.
Cooking the egg will increase the availability of nutrients, but for the trouble I wouldn't bother.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 am

Mine each get 1 raw egg per week, shell and all
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am

Breeding and feeding do seem to start Holy Wars :)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 am

Old Yeller got a bum rap over the whole egg deal...I would avoid eggs and....biscuits.
No doubt other options exist for comparable benefits.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Old Yeller got a bum rap over the whole egg deal...I would avoid eggs and....biscuits.
How about bacon and home fries?

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

i will throw in my two pennies, as a chef i learned that the white of the egg is where a large majority of food born illness comes from, also the white is a majority complex carbs. Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats, when i feed my dog every now and then ill throw her a yolk with her food. just my thoughts :D
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Old Yeller got a bum rap over the whole egg deal...I would avoid eggs and....biscuits.
How about bacon and home fries?
Past the pros and cons of eggs, which are nearly overdone....I was just throwing in a couple of dog movie references...Old Yeller and also that egg-sucking biscuit eater Promise(1940 original version)....believe that had the dog pointing the quail from atop the split rail fence.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:20 pm

llewellinsetter wrote:i will throw in my two pennies, as a chef i learned that the white of the egg is where a large majority of food born illness comes from, also the white is a majority complex carbs. Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats, when i feed my dog every now and then ill throw her a yolk with her food. just my thoughts :D
If you are going to do it this is the best for the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 am

I've never fed raw eggs, but am pleased with the results I've seen in my dog after adding eggs (and strip of bacon) whenever I feel she needs a boost of protein and fat).
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
llewellinsetter wrote:i will throw in my two pennies, as a chef i learned that the white of the egg is where a large majority of food born illness comes from, also the white is a majority complex carbs. Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats, when i feed my dog every now and then ill throw her a yolk with her food. just my thoughts :D
If you are going to do it this is the best for the dog.

Ezzy
How about showing us the science behind this statement?

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm

slistoe wrote:Eggs and oil will shine up the coat.
Cooking the egg will increase the availability of nutrients, but for the trouble I wouldn't bother.
The trouble I have with this is I have not found any information to believe this statement. Can you provide a link that explains the science behind this. I have read that some nutrition is lost during cooking but not much.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:17 pm

llewellinsetter wrote: also the white is a majority complex carbs.
Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats,
As a Chef, I don't want you cooking for me.
The egg white is over 99% Protein (no fat or carbs).
The yolk is carbs and especially fat and lots of vitamins..... Virtually NO Protein.
Go back to school --- or review your notes. :twisted:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
slistoe wrote:Eggs and oil will shine up the coat.
The trouble I have with this is I have not found any information to believe this statement. Can you provide a link that explains the science behind this. I have read that some nutrition is lost during cooking but not much.
I posted the info in one of the long ago threads on this topic. If you don't want to search the threads you can do a google search for it - then find someone friendly who has access to a university library and they can get you the actual published study.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 am

Del Lolo wrote:
llewellinsetter wrote: also the white is a majority complex carbs.
Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats,
As a Chef, I don't want you cooking for me.
The egg white is over 99% Protein (no fat or carbs).
The yolk is carbs and especially fat and lots of vitamins..... Virtually NO Protein.
Go back to school --- or review your notes. :twisted:
Well i work for one of the best Chefs in the world (Not my Opinion but Michelin-as a chef you should know what that means)
The yolk has protein fat and carbs BUT does not harbor food borne illness(thats why you can put them in salad dressing raw), the white is also high in protein carbs and vitamins, BUT is where a Large majority of food borne illness comes from. That was the point of my post, you really don't want to get your dog sick i would imagine. BUT hey what do i know I didn't go to culinary school so ill never be a real chef right?
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am

When I got my first pup some 35 years ago, all the old timers would tell me to give that dog a raw egg once a week, and whenever you cook bacon pour the grease over the food, they had no scientific studies or anything, it is just they way they were brought up. I believe that back in the day, a man's dog had to fend for itself quite a bit, for money was tight and they were lucky to put food on there own table. A lot of people had chickens back then and it was something that had good nutritional value, so if there were any table scraps for the dog, they would put an egg in with it. My grandpa raised shorthairs, and to listen about how those dogs were raised, would make a person cringe today, no vets, they clipped the dew claws and docked the tails themselves, no shots for the dogs, if the dog had to be put down it was a bullet between the eyes. I couldn't raise dogs like that, but they were a tool to use to help put food on the table. I believe people who use the raw eggs and bacon grease today are just going by what the old timers said you must do years ago. The food that we have for our dogs today is so much better than it was that I don't believe we need to do that. For occasional treats in my dogs food they will get pumpkin, plain yogurt, green beans, or peas, and they love it.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I have fed pumpkin before also, great to firm up soft stool.