Pro Plan NF (prescription formula for kidneys)

Brazos

Pro Plan NF (prescription formula for kidneys)

Post by Brazos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello all. I have an old GSP. She turned 14 on March 23rd. She still gets around ok considering but I figure she won't make it to 15. We had the vet run some tests the other day as at her last visit the vet heard a heart murmur. They gave her some heart medicine but found her kidneys in bad shape. They put her on a prescription dog food for kidneys, Pro Plan NF. They said feed her nothing else but this food and they would check her kidneys again in 6 months. The food comes in 6lb bags and cost $18/bag + tax. I was curious if anyone was familiar with this food and if there is any other options out there. I was hoping maybe a cheaper option. Even if I could mix the two so the 6 LB bag would go further. If not I will keep feeding the NF. She is a good dog and has earned it. Thanks.
Brazos

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pro Plan NF (prescription formula for kidneys)

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:55 pm

We sell it. The advantage over other prescription kidney diets is that NF is also an early stage cardio diet. Does it work? I've had good feedback. You cannot mix it, though, or you may as well not use it at all. The actual food is Purina CNM NF and they sometimes have coupons or rebate offers through your vet or on their website.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brazos

Post by Brazos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks Casey. Sounds like I best just stick with it. The vet told my wife the dog could eat that food only. Nothing else. Next time I see the vet I want to ask why for my own curiosity. I really don't think this dog will be around much longer. She had some sort of seizure 2-3 weeks ago and had another yesterday moments after I posted this and we rushed her to the vet. Just like last time she was pretty much back to normal by morning. Between this, the kidneys, and her heart she is on borrowed time and seems to get older by the week. As much as I love her I hope she quietly goes in her sleep. I don't ever want to make the decision to put a dog to sleep again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm in the same boat with a 13 year old setter. Exactly as Casey said.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:26 pm

ask your vet if he has a recipe for a homemade diet that would be easy on the kidneys (basically low protein, low phosphorus, etc). might need to contact a nutritionist at a university. also might ask about a product called Azodyl.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:21 pm

I fully trust your opinion. My dog is excreting protein in her urine. I thought the diet I was using , would have higher protein content to make up for that. ?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am

Also ask the vet as to whether the meds could cause the kidney enzyme values to rise as some can do so. Did they test the kidney values prior to starting the heart meds as well and if both commonly examined kidney enzyme levels are elevated or just one. The BUN can go up alone from some medications, for instance. Stop the med or change to a different one and it goes back down.