Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild

RichK

Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild

Post by RichK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Can anyone give me their input on these two foods, in terms of quality?

I'm currently feeding TotW but my GSP doesn't seem to be able to put on weight with it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:45 pm

you will have to have your dog try it to see if it will work for him.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 pm

How is the quality of Pro Plan? Any reasons to avoid PP?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:54 pm

RichK wrote:How is the quality of Pro Plan? Any reasons to avoid PP?
No reason whatsoever to avoid PP. Also, note that it is fed to hundreds if not thousands of high performance dogs with good success. I use something different because of cost but that is just me.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Are you feeding the wetlands formula? It's the one my dog did best on.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes, the Wetlands formula is what I've been feeding.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Well, my dogs did better on TOW than on proplan BUT I believe some dogs vary in which food is best for them. If you only have one dog, no biggy, try something else. Proplan is liked by many many hard working dogs.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Pro Plan has a new Salmon Performance 30-20 that would give you an additional 121 calories per cup and 2% more fat.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:23 pm

shets114 wrote:Pro Plan has a new Salmon Performance 30-20 that would give you an additional 121 calories per cup and 2% more fat.
I'll check it out.

I am feeding him 4 cups a day right now of TotW but he is only eating 2-3 cups of it most times. He's around 47lbs and I can't seem to put or keep weight on him.

rons

Post by rons » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 am

I'm feeding my GWP TOW High Prairie Canine Formula. He was eating Pro Plan when I first got him and his feces smelled terrible. I didn't like all the corn in the ingredients of Pro Plan and his digestive system seemed in turmoil. In the past I've fed my dogs Wellness with no problems except for cost. I like the protein 32% and everything is produced from the USA per the feed store.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:31 am

RichK wrote:
shets114 wrote:Pro Plan has a new Salmon Performance 30-20 that would give you an additional 121 calories per cup and 2% more fat.
I'll check it out.

I am feeding him 4 cups a day right now of TotW but he is only eating 2-3 cups of it most times. He's around 47lbs and I can't seem to put or keep weight on him.
Probably because his natural system is telling him "Don't let that owner make you fat."

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi Rich,
I switched from PPP to TOTW wetland and have good luck. How old is your dog and what is the weekly exercise regime? Are you free feeding? Is this you or the vet that wants weight on the dog?Older dogs get fat quick, young dogs without a lot of exercise just cut back on their fuel intake on their own and the metabolism regulates to exercise demands.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:24 pm

RichK wrote:
I'll check it out.

Have you had him checked for other health issues which may prevent him from maintaining weight? Not that I have not had some dogs that just did not do well on other brands..but Price of food and marketing hype doesn't always make for a food that a dog will do well on
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
RichK wrote:
I'll check it out.

Have you had him checked for other health issues which may prevent him from maintaining weight? Not that I have not had some dogs that just did not do well on other brands..but Price of food and marketing hype doesn't always make for a food that a dog will do well on
Yes, he's been checked for everything and has a perfect bill of health.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:14 pm

switching food might be the ticket or you might google Satin Balls
It's a home "recipe" that show dog people use to keep weight on dogs who eat less when they travel and thus lose weight before competitions. You may be able to add 1 or 2 to each meal. Also try feeding 2- 3 times a day. If you should happen to free feed try changing to leaving the bowl down for 10 minutes or until he looses interest then pick it up and set it down again several hours later.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 pm

richK -

You need to look at your dog carefully and critically. Many folks think their dogs are underweight, when in fact they are perfectly fit, and even a bit over weight.

If you look at your dog from above, you should see a very pronounced hourglass shape to the dog with the waist curving in dramatically at the end of the ribs and then out again at the rear. I believe Purina had some diagrams somewhere.

Speaking of ribs...you should actually see individual ribs when you are right next to the dog. ALL the ribs, not just the last couple. If you can see individual ribs from across the yard, the dog is too thin, IMO, but if you can see the rise and fall of each rib when the dog is next to you...that is fine. I actually like my dogs a little thicker than some. I want to "just" see rib. I feel that a dog has to have a little fat on them so that when they reach down to find that extra something that lets them finish with power and speed...I want them to have it there to find. If a dog does not have a little fat to burn...it will start to tear down muscle to get nutrients into its blood... and that ain't good.

If the dog is a young dog, full of energy, it can be hard to keep them where you want them. If you are hunting a dog hard and often or training it hard, it can also be difficult to keep them from losing weight. About the only thing that will keep weight on an active dog is FAT...pure fat. The good thing is that a dog can actually metabolize fat into energy while they are running.

Humans can only metabolize sugars and when the supply of sugar runs out, the human athlete "hits the wall". Dogs have the ability to switch from a carbohydrate based energy source to a lipid(fat) based energy source, so they do not "hit the wall" in the same way as humans do. As I understand it, the more you condition and work your dog, the easier it switches from sugar sources to fat sources during exercise.

I feed a 30/20 ration to my dogs. I have for many years. I do not use Pro Plan because of price, but then I currently have four dogs and it gets expensive. I have used it in the past, as well as several other brands, but almost always a 30/20 or something close to that. If I had only one dog, I would most likely use PPP, simply because it is absolutely uniform and consistent. If I was training hard and the dog was losing weight, I would supplement with pure beef fat. You can get all you want from your local grocery store for free or for cheap, especially when they are running a beef sale. I used to get a bunch in the summer, cube it up ice and small, and freeze it in 1/4 lb. baggies.

RayG

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:53 pm

I've fed both and my dogs did better on PP. They had more stamina with PP than TOTW.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 am

My hard keepers gain weight when I feed them twice a day. They also get a couple snacks of dog biscuits or a slice of bread.

Feeding extra fat can work if their kibble is low fat. But be very careful in supplementing with larger amounts because high fat can cause pancreatitis, which is very painful to the dog, destructive - even lethal- to his system, and expensive to treat. It can have repercussions that last a lifetime.

Ray's description of body condition is a good one. Many people have no clue what a fit dog looks like. When my old guy was at Ohio State for some ortho evaluation, the prof called a group of vet students over to look at him and put their hands on him; prof said they don't often get to see really fit dogs.

Ike

Post by Ike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm

My Llewellin pup is only 9 mo old, but I've switched between PP puppy and TOtW puppy and I can't see any difference. However, if I put a cup of each down, he will always eat the PP an leave the TOtW. I believe both are nutritionally good.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Ike wrote:My Llewellin pup is only 9 mo old, but I've switched between PP puppy and TOtW puppy and I can't see any difference. However, if I put a cup of each down, he will always eat the PP an leave the TOtW. I believe both are nutritionally good.
Ike, You will be hard pressed to find a dog food on the market that isn't good nutritionally. But taste test is not a good indicator either since all you have to do is add a little sugar and the dogs will love it. I think from what I have heard more than know both of those feeds are good but I would pick one and stay with it and not keep switching. that is a formula for developing a picky eater amongst other problems.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:20 am

Not sure if it's worth a darn, but here's the dog food advisors rating on both, PPP was a 2.5-3 star & TOTW was 4.5-5 star.
My DD does great on TOTW puppy

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... lan-sport/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -food-dry/

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:47 pm

No, it is not worth a darn.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Been feeding TOTW for years, tried PP on latest pup because that is what breeder sent home with us, switched him to TOTW and so far less stool, and no gas what so ever. With PP he had bad gas and food seem to go through him .

I also like that I can switch between flavors and it doesn't seem to mess up his digestion.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Which flavor do you like best
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 am

When I brought my Llewellin puppy home nearly five years ago, I never fed him a puppy formula, but simply fed him a good quality 26-18 formula that had a small kibble. He has done well since.

Sometimes, owners get caught up in the marketing scams and believe THEIR dogs need something special, but the dogs just want a good, nourishing feed that makes them happy.
big steve

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Wetlands and the Bison venison blend seem to be the two my dogs like best.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue May 06, 2014 7:28 am

I fed TOTW for years...fish based...then I switched to Dr. Tims. I won't go back. Feeding less, coats better, and the dogs never let up in ND...for the whole month. Very good food and only slightly more when you consider you use less.
My 75lb young knucklehead gets 3 1/2 cups/day off season and looks great.