Kibble and picky GSP

GSPdog1

Kibble and picky GSP

Post by GSPdog1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 am

My 11 month old, 42 lb, female GSP began not completely eating the (1.75 cups twice daily) food she was brought up on (Iam's ProActive Puppy 1-24). We transitioned to Eukanuba 30/20 which she still didn't eat as expected. She was losing weight and our vet treated her infection and recommended a bland diet. Following the antibiotic treatment and rice/chicken/can food mixture her appetite returned as long as I mixed some can food with a new kibble (Healthwise Chicken meal and oatmeal). Her activity level has not changed; still high-strung and will run all day seeking birds. Now that the can food is gone and we try just 1.75 cups twice daily of Healthwise, she won't eat again.

Are GSPs picky eaters? I would rather not mix can food with kibble but obviously will if this will get her to finish her food. So i've tried 3 brands of kibble and none have brought her original strong desire to eat back.

Anyone experience this? How did you handle it?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Kibble and picky GSP

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:18 am

Sounds to me like she is doing like most dogs do, they eat less once they are through growing. I think most picky eaters are created and that is what happened when you were mixing canned and dry. She liked it and wants you to continue doing that. I have found that dogs like humans eat when they are hungry and usually try to find dessert when they aren't. That is what your pup is doing. Just cut her back for a couple of dsays and then try increasing the amount very little and very slowly. I would guess she wouldn't need more than 2 1.2 to 3 cups a day in the summer. In the winter or when she is working she may need more.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:21 am

Dogs eat when they're hungry and drink when they're dry 8)

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your dog is acting like she's feeling well. Some are just always on the thin side, like some people.

Maybe 3 1/2 cups a day of high octane food is a lot for her. My guys get 2 cups more or less, 1X per day of a similar formula. Sometimes they leave some of that in the bowl. If anyone gets a little picky about not finishing, I have them miss a meal or give a really reduced amount. Unless they're not feeling well, they chow down the next meal and give up the fussiness :D

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 am

Put their food down for 5 minutes (by the clock).
At the end of 5 minutes, pick the bowl up and no more food until the next scheduled feeding.
The dog will learn to eat it or it will disappear.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:14 am

Del Lolo wrote:Put their food down for 5 minutes (by the clock).
At the end of 5 minutes, pick the bowl up and no more food until the next scheduled feeding.
The dog will learn to eat it or it will disappear.
Exactly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Sounds to me like she is doing like most dogs do, they eat less once they are through growing. I think most picky eaters are created and that is what happened when you were mixing canned and dry. She liked it and wants you to continue doing that. I have found that dogs like humans eat when they are hungry and usually try to find dessert when they aren't. That is what your pup is doing. Just cut her back for a couple of dsays and then try increasing the amount very little and very slowly. I would guess she wouldn't need more than 2 1.2 to 3 cups a day in the summer. In the winter or when she is working she may need more.

Ezzy
Well said. ( A healthy dog will not allow itself to starve to death.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Sharon wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Sounds to me like she is doing like most dogs do, they eat less once they are through growing. I think most picky eaters are created and that is what happened when you were mixing canned and dry. She liked it and wants you to continue doing that. I have found that dogs like humans eat when they are hungry and usually try to find dessert when they aren't. That is what your pup is doing. Just cut her back for a couple of dsays and then try increasing the amount very little and very slowly. I would guess she wouldn't need more than 2 1.2 to 3 cups a day in the summer. In the winter or when she is working she may need more.

Ezzy
Yup. Going through summer reduction in calorie needs right now myself.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:07 pm

I make a pot of bone broth every week in a slow cooker for mine and they always eat their food as I put a cup of broth over their kibble. Bone broth is a really good supplement for them, plus its got to taste better that just plain old dry kibble.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Sharon wrote:

Ezzy
+2.I think she got spoiled on the canned food mixture. She will be fine.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GSPdog1

Post by GSPdog1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks everyone! Happy Easter.

Maci got more exercise than normal yesterday as she had a playdate with my sister's dog during our family get together. I took Maci's bowl away after 5 minutes last evening as she only ate a few bites and walked away. This morning I put her dish down and she expressed no interest in breakfast. She did go out and run around as usual but has not ate a bite yet.

I can tell from her training she can hold a grudge and can be very stubborn. I hope this is what's going on this time. We'll see.

Puzzled.