Lyme Disease vaccine?

sdsujacks

Lyme Disease vaccine?

Post by sdsujacks » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

What are your thoughts on Lyme Disease vaccination? I lived in central SD for a few years and did not get one. I now live near Minneapolis and spend a lot of time in Northern Minnesota in the summer months. Ticks are everywhere here. I've heard that it is a must have shot living around here but want to see what somebody with a hunting dog has to say about it.

Thanks

Grange

Re: Lyme Disease vaccine?

Post by Grange » Mon May 12, 2014 3:17 pm

My setter got Lyme disease while on the vaccine. I also know two other dogs that got Lyme disease while on the vaccine. My vet said for a few years that he felt like he would be stealing from me if he gave it to my setter, but last fall he said research is now showing that the vaccine is recommended even for dogs that have had Lyme disease. So this spring during my dogs annual visit I got both of them the vaccine. I know it's not 100% effective, but with Lymes as prevalent as it's worth the price to me.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Is it supposed to be done every year? If so, is there a recommend middle ground between zero and annually? Such as giving the dog the vaccine for the first three years or so?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 pm

LOts of deer tick in Ontario, but I'm not sold on the effectiveness of the vaccine.

See the last section: "How Can the Disease be Prevented?"

http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.edu/a ... hp?id=1101
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu May 22, 2014 4:19 pm

I live in a very Tick infested area. Constant ticks when you go outside. I got Lyme right before Bear Season 4 years ago. I could hardly walk, but the meds I got before heading to camp helped. Still have effects to this day.

My dogs do not get the vaccine. If there is such a thing, why hasn't the FDA approved it for humans? Too many dogs catching Lyme while on the vaccine.

My dogs do not get the Lyme vaccine; even though we are in a high chance area.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu May 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Angus wrote:I live in a very Tick infested area. Constant ticks when you go outside. I got Lyme right before Bear Season 4 years ago. I could hardly walk, but the meds I got before heading to camp helped. Still have effects to this day.

My dogs do not get the vaccine. If there is such a thing, why hasn't the FDA approved it for humans? Too many dogs catching Lyme while on the vaccine.

My dogs do not get the Lyme vaccine; even though we are in a high chance area.
There was a Lyme vaccine for humans, but it was taken off the market in 2002 I believe.