Proper Weight

Deets

Proper Weight

Post by Deets » Tue May 27, 2014 4:28 pm

I was reading a magazine article recently that said your dog is underweight if you can see his ribs. It said you should be able to feel them, but not see them. I have also heard conflicting advise, that said if you cannot see a dogs last two ribs they are overweight. In most photos of field trial dogs you can see thier ribs. How do you guys tell if you dog is at the proper weight?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Proper Weight

Post by Sharon » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm

It's personal choice. I don't want to see the ribs, but no inch of fat either. My vet feels that if the ribs are showing, and the dog gets sick, they have little fat to fall back on. She may be right or not. :)

one of my setters - how I like it

Sure can't argue with this. Beautiful.
LBH's dog

Last edited by Sharon on Tue May 27, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue May 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Different breeds are not to maintain different weights. If I can't see a rib or two on a sight hound or a trial/hunting conditioned dog, they are probably overweight. That being said, I don't want to see ribs on must working or toy breeds. Generalized statements about dog condition rarely applies to the hunting/working dog world.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue May 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Seeing a rib, IMO, would be very different than seeing "ribs". That being said, different people hold their dog/breed to different standards. The statement about overweight is directed at my dogs, not all hunting breeds:)
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 pm

I pay little attention to the ribs but rather I want to see that tummy tucked up high and tight.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't worry about whether I can see the ribs or not. If I'm concerned about the weight I check the hip bones. I want to be able to see them, but not the back bone. If I can see the back bone the dog is underweight. If I can't see the hip bones, time to go on a diet. I often check more by feel than sight.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 am

Deets wrote:I was reading a magazine article recently that said your dog is underweight if you can see his ribs. It said you should be able to feel them, but not see them.
I have always followed the above somewhat. I want to be able to feel them, but not see them. Oh boy have I gotten an earful over it too from the uninformed masses. However, my vet has always said my dogs looked healthy and not overweight. That said, I let me puppies carry a little extra early on and get them nice and svelte later. I do like the tummy tuck comment, maybe I will be aware of that moving forward.

I do think this varies substantially by breed, runners vs swimmers. My fiancees father's GSP always has his ribs visible even though he gets to eat as much as he wants twice a day and appears as though he couldn't be happier. On the other hand, my Chesapeake is always thicker so I measure her food for each feeding to control her weight.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Most people who do not have hunting dogs think a "in shape" hunting dog is underweight. Just because there lab or whatever is 20lbs overweight doesn't mean my dog is underweight. My vet has complimented me several times for having good looking dogs as far as their physical appearance. He once told me 75-80% of the dogs he sees are overweight, and this a rural vet where you would thing dogs would have more room to roam.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:00 pm

http://greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=weight I find this a good read for some pointing breeds, and this https://www.purina.com/dogs/understandi ... thy-weight is a good general reference.

I get lectured about every third trip to the dog run about my pointer, and he's actually pretty well-padded around the ribs right now. Last fall he was about 7 pounds lighter, and still not that lean. I am having to work on my ability to deflect that advice in a friendly way. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 28, 2014 2:53 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I pay little attention to the ribs but rather I want to see that tummy tucked up high and tight.
Very good point. I should have said that. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Wed May 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Good information here. My setter seems to stay thinner than I was accustomed to with my gsp so I've been looking for some better gauges.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 pm

I like this one.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri May 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Its easier on the dog to be on the lighter side rather then the heavy side if it is going to work hard. Seeing ribs, hip bones, high and tight bellies (and yes even spine) are all indicators for me. This of course applies to Short Haired breeds.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Its easier on the dog to be on the lighter side rather then the heavy side if it is going to work hard. Seeing ribs, hip bones, high and tight bellies (and yes even spine) are all indicators for me. This of course applies to Short Haired breeds.
Thumbs up.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:01 pm

I always like to think about people when trying to figure out my dogs weight issues. A skinny lean person is going to be able to run a marathon much faster and more efficiently then a sprinter. But, on the flipside a sprinter will make a marathon runner look silly in a 100m. Retrievers are generally the sprinters ( they have to swim out in current or break ice) pointers and flushers are the marathon runners ( they have to run hard for multiple hours). If you look at what you require from your dog you can figure out how bulky or how skinny you want him. My lab pup is skinny, as far as labs go. You can see 4-5 ribs at all times.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:26 am

Both my PP's look like athletes because thats just what they are- lean and mean- you can see the outline of the ribs- stomach taught.
The older one looks like Lebron James and the younger like Jesse Owens

Odin

Post by Odin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:37 am

I hate the comment, "you don't feed your dog enough, you can see his ribs". For the most part he is basically free fed a high quality food. There are times when he looks especially lean when we are hunting in the fall. I just look at the condition of the dogs muscles, when he sits and you look at his chest, he is just "ripped" so to speak, tons of muscle mass just not an ounce of fat on him. The vet always says not to worry about it, he may be a few pounds light, but she has absolutely no worries about the condition of the dog, she just says he is an athlete.

I have gotten over it a lot lately as he is the only "trained" hunting dog in our group (a bunch of weekend warriors) and they see the drive and energy he has, the miles he can put on ect, and the comments quickly stop.

Random people I just ignore now.
Take what you want, and pay for it.