Tape Worms - Raw Meat

Montana

Tape Worms - Raw Meat

Post by Montana » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 am

I always knew that raw meat (wild game) can give dogs tape worms.. What I didn't know was that even after being frozen it can still give them tapeworms. A friend was cleaning out his freezer and had a bunch of elk burger that had been in his freezer about 3 years. He gave it to me to feed to my dogs. I'd wormed them all about a month earlier. After feeding the elk burger, I started seeing segments of tapeworms in their stools so I went to my vet and got some worm medication and asked him if meat that had been frozen for 3 years could still give dogs tapeworms and he said yes.... So, from now on it will all be cooked before feeding it!!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Tape Worms - Raw Meat

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Many opinions on this subject.

http://rawfed.com/myths/parasites.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:13 am

Interesting link.... All I know is that I fed my dogs raw elk burger and not long afterwards there were tapeworms segments in their stools and I had wormed them all a couple of months earlier.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:38 pm

I have never heard of tapeworms being in raw meat as they live in the intestine. It is common to serve raw meat sandwiches in our northern mid-west area and you couldn't do that if there was such a problem. Dogs have eaten raw meat forever without having the problem.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Montana wrote:Interesting link.... All I know is that I fed my dogs raw elk burger and not long afterwards there were tapeworms segments in their stools and I had wormed them all a couple of months earlier.
Tapeworms come from fleas. Is your flea control adequate?

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... n-dogs/949
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Yep, can happen

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... se.muscle1

We were vacationing in the upper midwest last year, and were warned about eating fish caught in certain lakes because of tapeworm infestations. Not that we were planning on eating our catches raw, but still..... :o

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:33 pm

There is ONE type of Tapeworm that comes from raw meat.
It's called Echinococcus. The genus Echinococcus includes six species of cyclophyllid tapeworms.

Click here for the Wikipedia article : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinococcus

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:45 pm

We have no fleas here.....I've had gundogs since 1973 and have never seen a flea...

Dogs can get tapeworms from wild game such as deer, elk, antelope, etc.... as well as from sheep, pigs, cattle, and rodents. Here's the a link:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-tapeworm ... treatments

I knew that dogs could get tapeworms from raw venison, but assumed that meat that had been in the freezer for a couple of years would be safe. My vet said dogs can still get tapeworms after meat has been frozen...cooking the meat makes it safe to feed.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm moving to Montana. :)

Montana

Post by Montana » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 am

Ha!!! We don't have heartworm or lyme desease either.....yet.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:57 am

Montana wrote:Ha!!! We don't have heartworm or lyme desease either.....yet.
Lots of those "wonderful" wolves though :evil:

and

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm

So you have no mosquitoes or deer ticks or no mosquitoes or ticks carrying disease?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 am

I'm calling BS on this.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
I'm calling BS on this.
Me too. Especially the heartworm part.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:25 am

Yes, we have mosquitoes and ticks, of course, but no Lyme desease that I'm aware of... As far as Heartworm goes, I can't speak for the entire state as it's huge but I'm up along the Saskatchewan border and I can guarantee you that we have no heartworm.. I asked my vet about it and he said he'd never seen a case of it here.

No wolves here either...yet. They are all in the mountains and we're out on the prairie, thankfully!!! They can keep them there!

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:27 am

Here's a link I found on Heartworms in Montana, for anyone interested...

http://www.montanawildlife.com/projects ... rtworm.htm

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:53 am

Montana wrote:Yes, we have mosquitoes and ticks, of course, but no Lyme desease that I'm aware of... As far as Heartworm goes, I can't speak for the entire state as it's huge but I'm up along the Saskatchewan border and I can guarantee you that we have no heartworm.. I asked my vet about it and he said he'd never seen a case of it here.

No wolves here either...yet. They are all in the mountains and we're out on the prairie, thankfully!!! They can keep them there!
I would just suggest to error on the safe side. Vets cant predict what can happen, they didn't see heartworms in Cali until a few years ago but now you better take precautions.

Heartworms are easy to prevent but are an absolute horror if you have to treat them.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 am

Montana wrote:Yes, we have mosquitoes and ticks, of course, but no Lyme desease that I'm aware of... As far as Heartworm goes, I can't speak for the entire state as it's huge but I'm up along the Saskatchewan border and I can guarantee you that we have no heartworm.. I asked my vet about it and he said he'd never seen a case of it here.

I would just suggest to error on the safe side. Vets cant predict what can happen, they didn't see heartworms in Cali until a few years ago but now you better take precautions.

Heartworms are easy to prevent but are an absolute horror if you have to treat them.
I will visit with my vet this week about it....I agree, better to be safe than sorry but I really don't like giving my dogs any more medication than is necessary...

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:12 am

For anyone interested they are roundworms - each female worm can lay up to 200,000 eggs each day!
round worm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 am

dog dr wrote:
I'm calling BS on this.
Me too. Especially the heartworm part.
I don't know about Lyme in MT, but there has to be a period of time where night temperatures don't drop below a certain temp (50* ? ).
Here in WA, that never occurs, thus no heartworms. The only time we use heartworm prevention medication is when we travel out of state to areas that actually do have heartworms.

and

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 am

I have a framed picture/chart/diagram, whatever you want to call it, hanging in the clinic that shows number of heartworm positive dogs reported by veterinarians in each state. Its old, from the late 90s I think. BUT, heartworms have been found in every state in the union, with the exception of Alaska, according to that chart.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am

As far as I know, there have been less than a handful of Heartworm cases in WA -- and those dogs were most likely exposed in a different state.

and

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 am

dog dr wrote:I have a framed picture/chart/diagram, whatever you want to call it, hanging in the clinic that shows number of heartworm positive dogs reported by veterinarians in each state. Its old, from the late 90s I think. BUT, heartworms have been found in every state in the union, with the exception of Alaska, according to that chart.
Does that chart identify cases of known transmission within the state or only diagnosed cases? There have been a number of cases of heartworm here in Alberta, but none of them were contracted here - all the dogs had been travelling to locales where heartworm is prevalent - including the interior of BC.

However, it is my understanding that the species of mosquito on which heartworm is dependant is evolving - thus the spread across the continent - and it is only a matter of time before it will be able to withstand the nighttime temps of Washington and Alberta.

Montana

Post by Montana » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Interesting and informative discussion. I think it comes down to a personal choice based on what is happening in your area.. I also suspect it is just a matter of time before Lyme disease and heartworm is common in most areas where they currently are not.

What I find interesting in northcentral Montana is fleas... I've lived here for 37 years now and have never seen a flea on any of my dogs, yet if you shoot a coyote around here they are full of fleas...

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Here's the Heartworm map from 2013.
Click here : http://www.heartwormsociety.org/downloa ... ce-Map.pdf

and

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Montana wrote:Interesting and informative discussion. I think it comes down to a personal choice based on what is happening in your area.. I also suspect it is just a matter of time before Lyme disease and heartworm is common in most areas where they currently are not.

What I find interesting in northcentral Montana is fleas... I've lived here for 37 years now and have never seen a flea on any of my dogs, yet if you shoot a coyote around here they are full of fleas...
I live and practice in western IL, a perfect environment for fleas. However, I still have a number of clients that tell me their dogs don't get fleas... and that's when I part the hair and show them.

Montana

Post by Montana » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 pm

dog dr wrote:
Montana wrote:Interesting and informative discussion. I think it comes down to a personal choice based on what is happening in your area.. I also suspect it is just a matter of time before Lyme disease and heartworm is common in most areas where they currently are not.

I live and practice in western IL, a perfect environment for fleas. However, I still have a number of clients that tell me their dogs don't get fleas... and that's when I part the hair and show them.
Well, I know quite well what a flea is and when a dog has them... My father bred hounds when I was a kid growing up in Vermont and they had fleas... We fought them continually, as did our neighbors... I think every dog around back then had fleas!!!! I've never seen any sign of fleas on my dogs here in Montana, but I'm going to check them and see if I'm missing something.... I'll let you know!!! :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:18 pm

I don't know about Lyme in MT, but there has to be a period of time where night temperatures don't drop below a certain temp (50* ? ).
Here in WA, that never occurs, thus no heartworms. The only time we use heartworm prevention medication is when we travel out of state to areas that actually do have heartworms.

.[/quote] Doc E.

Just trying to understand this.I may be misunderstanding it. In WA there is no period of time when night temps in Farenheit don't drop below 50 degrees? I'm moving there.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:29 am

Sharon wrote:I don't know about Lyme in MT, but there has to be a period of time where night temperatures don't drop below a certain temp (50* ? ).

Doc E.

Just trying to understand this.I may be misunderstanding it. In WA there is no period of time when night temps in Farenheit don't drop below 50 degrees? I'm moving there.[/quote]

More the opposite.
I should have said that there are a certain number of days where night time temperatures have to stay above 50.
In WA, even in the middle of summer, most of our night temps are below 50.

Sorry for the confusion.

and

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Ahhhh Got it. Thanks.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:44 pm

I just gave two of my dogs their summer haircut.... Not a flea to be found. Hope it will always stay that way!!!