Elbow Calluses - remedies?

marysburg

Elbow Calluses - remedies?

Post by marysburg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:29 am

If there are any folks out there who have dealt with this in the past, I sure would love to hear your ideas. We have a 9 yr. old YLF who is in excellent health except for allergies. She has access to soft, deep bedding and dog beds, but sometimes lays on the lino or carpet. Both her elbows have calluses which have expanded a lot this past winter and now are over an inch across. They are not bleeding or infected, but look lumpy and aggravated. From time to time she would like to lick the heck out of them, but stops if I ask her to quit. The vet had no suggestions at our last visit two weeks ago. Any ideas?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 am

Its what happens to older dogs...if dry and cracked put some lotion or bag balm on them otherwise it is what it is and pretty normal.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

marysburg

Re: Elbow Calluses - remedies?

Post by marysburg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Thank you. I'll try bag balm, never thought of it on my own.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 pm

You might try some Watkins salve products. We always keep some around the house and have nick-named it "magic medicine." It's thick, doesn't wear off quick, and has wonderful results on scrapes, bites, burns, dry skin.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:10 pm

The problem I have with anything I try putting on them is the dog licks it off until they turn the callus into a sore. :x

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51 am

That's what I was thinking, and what about smearing the stuff all over the dog beds when she lays down? So far the skin is not broken and there is no infection. I just thought someone out there would have a better idea than just leaving them alone which isn't going to work for very much longer. The calluses are enlarging and becoming very lumpy looking. She's the type of dog who would quit licking off the ointment if I ask her to do so. I'll post any new developments, and thanks for your replies.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 am

Don't cake on the bag balm....just rub it in and do daily and there is nothing to lick off. It soaks in. Its about all you can do.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:25 am

2 things that work well on this are either vitamin e or zinc oxide topically. Take a vitamin e capsule, poke a hole and squeeze it on the callus once a day. Or try desitin topically on the calluses. They tend to develop due to the type of housing they live in(cement), use their elbows to get up more than hind end(sore) or just life in general.