Costco brand dog food

jtm72

Costco brand dog food

Post by jtm72 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:31 am

After hearing great reviews, we just switched to the costco select salmon and sweet potato for our 3 German Shorthaired Pointers.

Anyone else having any luck with Costco's brand?

GrayGhost

Re: Costco brand dog food

Post by GrayGhost » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm

I've been using the Kirkland Lamb and Rice in the green bag. My pups been doing great on it and doesn't seem to have any complaints and I think the price is pretty good too.

brianb

Post by brianb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I feed the Kirkland Chicken and Rice. Both of my dogs like it and I like how they look and perform on it. I like the price too. $28 for a #40lb bag. It's made by Diamond. There are 10 page long threads on this forum pro and con Diamond.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:24 pm

I am a big Costco fan but. The food is rated 4 with the top being 5 by dog food advisors. that is good and price is great. But my vet warns about Diamond that uses meat products from China. My last Brittany got sick on it and just would not eat anymore of that bag. I just can't bring myself to buy it again.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 pm

I feed my dogs Kirkland chicken and rice. Seems to do the trick. We switched from pro plan when my pup was 6 months, he had a bad reaction and the vet said it could or could not be caused by the food, we took the safe route and switched. Never looked back, plus the savings on my wallet is nice.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 pm

deke wrote:I feed my dogs Kirkland chicken and rice. Seems to do the trick. We switched from pro plan when my pup was 6 months, he had a bad reaction and the vet said it could or could not be caused by the food, we took the safe route and switched. Never looked back, plus the savings on my wallet is nice.
Savings on the wallet is good but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the food. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm

birddogger wrote:
deke wrote:I feed my dogs Kirkland chicken and rice. Seems to do the trick. We switched from pro plan when my pup was 6 months, he had a bad reaction and the vet said it could or could not be caused by the food, we took the safe route and switched. Never looked back, plus the savings on my wallet is nice.
Savings on the wallet is good but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the food. JMO.

Charlie

You are correct, turned out it wasn't the food. The vet said it " could " of been the food, but he wasn't sure at the time. So we switched just to be on the safe side. ( Didn't mean to knock PP, just was the reason we switched) Dog had something called helliocobacter sp? It made his stomach lining swell, happened twice and hasn't reoccurred since he turned two.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice to five dogs. Two GSP, Two ACD and one rodent. Good stuff and much better than most......

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:37 pm

is diamond and kirkland the same product? or do they have their differences? just asking cause my dog doesn't seem to bee to keen on diamond naturals. just wondering if i switched to kirkland would he be in the same boat. thanks

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:43 pm

diplomat019 wrote:is diamond and kirkland the same product? or do they have their differences? just asking cause my dog doesn't seem to bee to keen on diamond naturals. just wondering if i switched to kirkland would he be in the same boat. thanks
Are you talking about the Diamond chicken and rice formula? It doesn't look the same but other than that, I cant help you as my dogs eat anything. I believe the recipe might be different but the ingredients were the same from I saw.

brianb

Post by brianb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I emailed Costco on whether they use meat from China. This is the response I got:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your inquiry. The Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula contains fresh chicken from the US, chicken meal from the US and fish meal from the US. Because they are not available elsewhere, we do have to source some of the vitamins from China. These include ascorbic acid and folic acid. However, we use dedicated suppliers and have high quality and safety standards in place.

Thank you for being a Kirkland Signature pet food consumer!

Sincerely,

Melissa
Kirkland Signature Pet Food Customer Support

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:13 pm

deke wrote:
birddogger wrote:

Charlie

You are correct, turned out it wasn't the food. The vet said it " could " of been the food, but he wasn't sure at the time. So we switched just to be on the safe side. ( Didn't mean to knock PP, just was the reason we switched) Dog had something called helliocobacter sp? It made his stomach lining swell, happened twice and hasn't reoccurred since he turned two.
No problem, I knew you were not knoking any brand of dog food. I am glad it was figured out.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:59 pm

We have six dogs and have been feeding the Costco grain free Nature's Domain for a few years now. As our dogs get a lot of exercise year round, I choose to add protein (chicken, venison, eggs, etc.). I've been completely happy with the dog food.