Loose Stools

jwnissen

Loose Stools

Post by jwnissen » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:26 pm

So I recently changed foods and have been noticing a strange pattern. I have a 1.5 yo Shorthair and she has been on the new food, Nutrisource 30/20, for about a month and a half. I have noticed that every few days she has really loose stools that are kind of mucosy (if thats even a word). The old food, Eukanuba premium performance, I fed 3 cups a day and she did good. The new food has a higher calorie count so I feed 2 heaping cups, about 2.5 cups. I feed her a 30/20 and she is not very active during the day. She runs the yard but I only get her out to run once a week and occasionally go on a 2 or 3 mile walk. She looks good, but acts like she is still hungry, something she never did before. She goes and sits by her bowl and looks at us like its dinner time. If I feed her 3 cups she almost always has loose stools. My question, should I drop her to a 26/14 food or maybe try another food? Looking for any and all suggestions. I also give her about a tablespoon of flax seed in the morning with her food to help with her shedding. Not sure if that would have any affect but it does help with the shedding.

John

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Go back to the Eukanuba.

jwnissen

Re:

Post by jwnissen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Go back to the Eukanuba.
Yea I have been thinking about that but I left because their prices are going up and the size of the bags are going down so I was trying to save some money and find another quality food. She definitely poops less on the new food, which is nice.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:41 am

Where do you live?

Doc E

Re: Loose Stools

Post by Doc E » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:47 am

I had always been a fan of Eagle Pack Power (30/20).
This year I had been reading a lot of posts about Victor dog food, so I gave it a try.
I moved to their 26/18 and I am truly impressed. (might go to the 24/20 for winter?).
Dogs have great stools. great energy and coat. The Victor 26/18 is easily as good (actually better) than the Eagle Pack 30/20. I am very impressed with Victor.

The ingredients (other than fish) are sourced from within 200 miles of the factory. No corn, no wheat, no soy and no GMO.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 pm

I wish I could find Victor as Ive been wanting to try it.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:47 pm

cut the amount back another half a cup for awhile.....should firm up.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:18 pm

+1 birdog

Db

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:40 pm

One could write a book on loose stools. In your case less food is probably the right answer, but I've found it to be : eating bird seed that falls from the feeder, too much Metacam, giardia, kids feeding dogs chips.... shall I go on? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:01 pm

I looked really hard at victor but the nearest place to buy it is almost 60 miles away. I talked to the local feed store where I buy the food and I think I might be giving her too much flax seed. I just eyeball it and dump some in which explains why the loose stool happens every couple days. My wife feeds her 3-4 times a week, and measures the flax, and I just dump it in. Going to cut back on than and I got some probiotics and see if that helps. I dont want to cut back on the food anymore than I already have, she is starting to get thin from the amount I already cut. Thanks all for the input. If this doesnt work, I will try switching to another food.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:14 am

birddog1968 wrote:cut the amount back another half a cup for awhile.....should firm up.
I'm also thinking this may be the answer.

jwnissen, have you actually compared the amount of calories in your previous feed vs this one?

For example, before we got GSP #2, we switched from Exceed to Evo because #1 GSP was getting 4 cups/day of Exceed & still not gaining muscle or weight. Huge amount of "output" too. With the EVO he gets 2.75 cups (22 oz)/day. When we got #2 GSP we just started him on the EVO. Neither dogs have an issue with this food or how much we give them.

YMMV,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 am

jwnissen wrote: I think I might be giving her too much flax seed. I just eyeball it and dump some in which explains why the loose stool happens every couple days. My wife feeds her 3-4 times a week, and measures the flax, and I just dump it in.
What is your reason for using Flax Seed ?
If it's for Omega-3's, you need to remember that Flax Seed Oil is primarily ALA, and only a very small amount of the ALA (10%) is converted into EPA and none is converted into DHA.
IMO, if you want to supplement Omega-3's, you should be using a molecular distilled Fish Oil instead.

Also, whole Flax Seed is not digestible by dogs. For Flax Seed to be digestible, it needs to be ground Flax Seed (Flax Seed meal).

Another thing to just think about is that in HUMAN Males, it has been shown that more than 300 mg of Flax Seed OIL markedly increases the incidence of prostate cancer.
I don't know how much Oil will come from a certain amount of seed.
ALA is a good Omega-3, but more than 300 mg per day might be a problem.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:03 am

Submariner, there is about 100 calories more per cup in the new dog food which is why I cut back from 3 cups to about 2.5. Calorie wise, it equals out to about the same plus or minus. She was a little heavier on the other food but looks like she should on the new food.

Doc E, I feed the flax seed meal mainly to help with her shedding and to help with her skin. Since feeding it to her, we have noticed a significant reduction in her shedding. When I measured out the correct amount, I noticed I was giving her at least twice the amount I should have. The lady at the feed store told me to try the probiotics and measure the flax seed for a week and see if it helps.

bula

Post by bula » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:00 am

i read somewhere that you are not supposed to give dogs flaxseed. you might track that and see if it is true

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm

"The new food has a higher calorie count so I feed 2 heaping cups, about 2.5 cups. I feed her a 30/20 and she is not very active during the day. She runs the yard but I only get her out to run once a week ." quote

30/20 is too much for a dog that is not very active imo

by bula » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:00 pm

"I read somewhere that you are not supposed to give dogs flaxseed. you might track that and see if it is true." quote

Depends on who you talk to:

http://www.ellies-whole-grains.com/how- ... z37qkvVuJx
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett