Help!

drich2244

Help!

Post by drich2244 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Hey everybody hope someone can help with this one i have an english pointer that just had a litter of pups 7 weeks ago. she seemed well all through pregnancy and birth but in the last week she has become frail not holding her weight has become lame in her back left leg lost appetite, motivation etc. i took her to the vet last week for a check up he said to give her puppy chow as it would have more vitamins and nutrients she's been on it through the whole pregnancy. i also supplemented with wet food heavy in protein and vitamins, for about 4 weeks while she was nursing puppies. once i started weaning the pups i decreased her wet food intake. i stopped feeding her wet food 2 weeks ago. she hasn't showed any bad signs until recently. heres my questions

Has anyone experienced this, and if so how did you fix it?

what is the best way to get her weight back on as well as get her extra vitamins?

i appreciate any and all help on this one

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Help!

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Was there a pup withheld in the birth canal possibly? I 'd have an ultrasound done.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Sounds like she has a medical problem that is not related to feed necessarily.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 pm

drich2244 wrote: i also supplemented with wet food heavy in protein and vitamins, for about 4 weeks while she was nursing puppies. once i started weaning the pups i decreased her wet food intake. i stopped feeding her wet food 2 weeks ago. she hasn't showed any bad signs until recently.
Canned food is 74% WATER ! It's NOT higher in Protein and vitamins ! ! (Who gave you that bogus information ? )

Depleted DHA (an Omega-3 Fatty Acid) is frequently responsiblwe for this malady.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Sorry for not clarifying but not all canned dog foods are just water. It was veterinarian recommended and I've got a answer on her sickness she has a bit of mastitis which explains all symptoms she is now on antibiotics and rimadal thanks for your help guys sure do appreciate it

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Glad that you found an answer. Curious though, what brand of canned food was this? I would be interested in getting some to supplement with.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 am

i was giving her taste of the wild for a while helps with digestion, also use some beef suet that helps lube them up and then theres always pro plan. when im feed them soft food most of the time its not higher in protein and fats but the proteins and fats are more digestable and it seems like it gets in their system faster than the dry does

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Check for TBIs?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 pm

drich2244 wrote:i was giving her taste of the wild for a while helps with digestion, also use some beef suet that helps lube them up and then theres always pro plan. when im feed them soft food most of the time its not higher in protein and fats but the proteins and fats are more digestable and it seems like it gets in their system faster than the dry does
I think you will have a problem finding research that backs up any of your points. Part of the problem that HELPS CAUSE MASTITIS IS OVER FEEDING. there is nothing wrong with feeding canned food but it is a great waste of your money since you are buying water and not nutrients. Dogs like it just as a kid likes candy, but that does not mean it is good for them.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
drich2244 wrote:i was giving her taste of the wild for a while helps with digestion, also use some beef suet that helps lube them up and then theres always pro plan. when im feed them soft food most of the time its not higher in protein and fats but the proteins and fats are more digestable and it seems like it gets in their system faster than the dry does
I think you will have a problem finding research that backs up any of your points. Part of the problem that HELPS CAUSE MASTITIS IS OVER FEEDING. there is nothing wrong with feeding canned food but it is a great waste of your money since you are buying water and not nutrients. Dogs like it just as a kid likes candy, but that does not mean it is good for them.

Ezzy
Ezzy i never said it was best but all i said was i used canned food that was heavy in protein and nutrients i used as my dog was losing her appetite i never over feed her and there are many other causes for mastitis i dont believe its a waste of money as if adding to my regular soft food it does hydrate them and it does help with digestion. never said it was better than all the rest and if you look at alot of the newer stuff out there it has real meat real vegetables and its easier to digest. im not feeding 50 cent alpo im feeding higher quality canned food hears a couple of articles you might appreciate

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_ ... ood?page=2
http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_ ... ood?page=2

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 am

Basically, either of these choices should satisfy your pet’s nutritional requirements as long as they are well balanced and are made with quality ingredients. It’s just a matter of which one will be best for your pet over the long term and which fits your lifestyle. Another option is to choose both wet and dry; mixing them together in the same bowl, or giving the wet food as an occasional “treat.” Talk to your veterinarian if you have any concerns, since there may be particular considerations for your dog’s breed or age.
I read and your article says just what I said. It is more expensive as it contains water, probably 70 to 80% water. It does not say it is better or easier to digest and I have no idea why it would be. It does cause more dental problems and has much more potential to cause many other problems if not fed and stored properly.

Back to my original post, it is more expensive and has a lot less food value than a dry food and I see no evidence that it better in any way other than providing more water which I have never found a problem unless the dog is critically ill and just can't eat or drink on it's own.

I think you can feed what ever you like but my point was that the wet feed was not doing what you were saying it was and you should be aware of that. It is just some sort of meat that is canned wet, 80% wet which means you are only feeding 20% food. That is very little fat and protein compared to a dry feed that is 10 to 12% moisture.

Ezzy

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 am

Sorry second article was same as first here's my other article I meant to post
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing- ... -dog-food/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 am

drich2244 wrote:Sorry second article was same as first here's my other article I meant to post
I think probably most every body on here has looked at the dog food advisor and researched it. It is written by a California dentist who knows little about dog food but evidentially likes to post on the net. There is absolutely nothing of value that is based on fact in what he writes.

I am not wanting to argue with you but strictly to inform. Hope you realize that and take it to heart. You did what many of us have done and that is we are always too quick to think we know more than our dogs do about how they feel and what to do about it. When our dogs cut back on their feed it is a 99.9% sign thy aren't hungry and need less feed. It may be due to less activity or in your case probably more to do with cutting back on milk production as the pups were getting closer to weaning time. Or it might have been to sore udders from over production and bruising from the youngsters. I always cut the puppies toenails back while they are nursing to save the mom from that additional stress of the pups clawing as they nurse. Most dogs will provide what the pups need if we just keep feed and water in front of them and we allow the pups to start eating when they are young. I have had much more problems from over production than under and have on many occasions had to help by milking the female to relieve the swelling and internal bruising that can lead to mastitis. And another way is to reduce the amount of feed and water when the problem appears.

Anyway, glad you have things under control and good luck with the pups.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:
drich2244 wrote:Sorry second article was same as first here's my other article I meant to post
I think probably most every body on here has looked at the dog food advisor and researched it. It is written by a California dentist who knows little about dog food but evidentially likes to post on the net. There is absolutely nothing of value that is based on fact in what he writes.

I am not wanting to argue with you but strictly to inform. Hope you realize that and take it to heart. You did what many of us have done and that is we are always too quick to think we know more than our dogs do about how they feel and what to do about it. When our dogs cut back on their feed it is a 99.9% sign thy aren't hungry and need less feed. It may be due to less activity or in your case probably more to do with cutting back on milk production as the pups were getting closer to weaning time. Or it might have been to sore udders from over production and bruising from the youngsters. I always cut the puppies toenails back while they are nursing to save the mom from that additional stress of the pups clawing as they nurse. Most dogs will provide what the pups need if we just keep feed and water in front of them and we allow the pups to start eating when they are young. I have had much more problems from over production than under and have on many occasions had to help by milking the female to relieve the swelling and internal bruising that can lead to mastitis. And another way is to reduce the amount of feed and water when the problem appears.

Anyway, glad you have things under control and good luck with the pups.

Ezzy
Well stated facts.

frontline

Post by frontline » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 pm

drich2244 wrote:Hey everybody hope someone can help with this one i have an english pointer that just had a litter of pups 7 weeks ago. she seemed well all through pregnancy and birth but in the last week she has become frail not holding her weight has become lame in her back left leg lost appetite, motivation etc. i took her to the vet last week for a check up he said to give her puppy chow as it would have more vitamins and nutrients she's been on it through the whole pregnancy. i also supplemented with wet food heavy in protein and vitamins, for about 4 weeks while she was nursing puppies. once i started weaning the pups i decreased her wet food intake. i stopped feeding her wet food 2 weeks ago. she hasn't showed any bad signs until recently. heres my questions

Has anyone experienced this, and if so how did you fix it?

what is the best way to get her weight back on as well as get her extra vitamins?

i appreciate any and all help on this one
I didn't read all the posts but I doubt canned food had anything to do with your dog's condition. Please stop feeding her suet!!! I had a dog that got into a chunk of suet that fell from a bird feeder and she bloated. She had painful gas and this caused her to hold up one of her rear legs. ER vet released the gas and she was immediately better. Besides bloat, suet can cause acute pancreatitis, a very serious and painful condition that can be life threatening.

When feeding a pregnant or nursing bitch it's best to feed a commercial food that's rated for pregnancy and nursing, usually puppy food. Supplementing or adding different foods can cause imbalances and digestive upsets.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 am

Pancreatitis from suet?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am

Neil wrote:Pancreatitis from suet?
And I have never heard of fat causing bloat. Normally bloat in a dog comes from a twisted stomach and it is gas that is trapped that causes the bloat which is often caused by green leafy plants and legumes.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 pm

We have lots of bird feeders /suet feeders. They are fenced in from the dogs. My vet says the problem is that the seed/suet lying on the ground can go moldy etc and give a dog a bacteria that causes an illness.
Can't image fresh suet from the fridge causing any problem.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett