tiny white specks in stool

magspa

tiny white specks in stool

Post by magspa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:29 pm

just noticed tiny white specks in dogs stool. We have two dogs. I understand tapeworms will be about the size of a grain of rice but these are MUCH small er than a grain of rice and are not moving. Anybody seen this before? could just be something one of them ate. Havent seen any fleas on them recently either.

magspa

Re: tiny white specks in stool

Post by magspa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:45 pm

if it is tapeworms, would pyrantel/praziquantel be an affective treatment? I have used this combo to treat other worms.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Sounds like hook worms. It would behoove one to treat as quickly as possible.

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:22 pm

I double checked he stool. moved it around with a stick and did see some little white pieces moving that im assuming are tapes. sill not sure about the specks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Just get an over the counter triple wormer and follow the directions.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

frontline

Post by frontline » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Take a stool sample to your vet, get a diagnosis and get your meds there. It will save you money in the long run! My vet only charges $9 for a fecal that's dropped off.

frontline

Post by frontline » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:09 pm

I really can't understand why no one, not one person has suggested a fecal test. Is everyone here anti-vet or just excessively cheap?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:37 am

Its just easier to deworm them yourself. Why spend time going to the Vet when its so easy to do it yourself?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:16 am

@ magspa -

Are those tiny white specks in the stool right out of the chute, or are you finding them after it's been been there for a little while?

In the summer I find them too, on stools that have been there a little while, and I believe they are fly eggs or tiny maggots depending.

Dried tape segments like like rice or sesame seeds but live ones are 1/2 - 1 inch long, flat, and sometimes moving. If a large section of tapes comes out, it'll leave no doubt in your mind - blech!

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 am

Explained symptoms to vet and got drontal plus tabs and syringe of strongid. the drontal has febantel, which i have never seen in OTC dewomers so should do the trick and was only a little more than OTC meds. also sprayed the yard with bayer advanced.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 pm

frontline wrote:I really can't understand why no one, not one person has suggested a fecal test. Is everyone here anti-vet or just excessively cheap?
Many folks here have kennels of dogs. They do there own dewormings and vaccinations as they are knowledgeable and aren't going to take 14 dogs to the vet.

I have 3 dogs; I should have suggested taking a fecal sample to the vet. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Sharon wrote:
frontline wrote:I really can't understand why no one, not one person has suggested a fecal test. Is everyone here anti-vet or just excessively cheap?
Many folks here have kennels of dogs. They do there own dewormings and vaccinations as they are knowledgeable and aren't going to take 14 dogs to the vet.

I have 3 dogs; I should have suggested taking a fecal sample to the vet. :)
I have two dogs at home and I wouldn't take a sample to the vet when it is pretty evident the dog needs to be wormed whether what you see is a worm or not. After worming if you continue to have a problem then take a sample to be tested.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:52 pm

magspa wrote:Explained symptoms to vet and got drontal plus tabs and syringe of strongid. the drontal has febantel, which i have never seen in OTC dewomers so should do the trick and was only a little more than OTC meds. also sprayed the yard with bayer advanced.
Fenbantel is a drug that converts to fenbendazole (Safeguard) once it's in the dog's stomach or small bowel.

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm

thanks Shags i did not know that. Good to know we can that OTC as well as triple wormer with praziquantel&Pyrantel Pamoate. Do you know of an OTC product with all three?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm

No idea. I use Safeguard liquid for goats; it takes care of everything including taenia ( tapeworms from rodents and rabbits) but NOT dipylidium ( flea tapeworm). Around our house the taenia is more likely, but a dose of praziquantal takes care of the other quick enough.

You might ask your vet about Sentinel Spectrum. It's more expensive ( IIRC about $10 a tab) but controls fleas, takes care of intestinal worms including tapes, and provides heartworm prevention in one dose. Your vet should have rebate forms for it, makes it a pretty good deal.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:51 am

My dog gets worms from time to time but they don't seem to bother him. It is mostly during the summer months that I see worms but its usually very few. I read somewhere that dogs can pass worms on their own without the help of medications. Any truth to that?