Dramamine

RichK

Dramamine

Post by RichK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm

How much dramamine should I give to a pup to help with car sickness?

GunDogAdventures

Re: Dramamine

Post by GunDogAdventures » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:16 pm

I'd suggest giving them a few trips to get used to it before resorting to a dosage. As I recall, the first few trips are exciting and took a while to get used to for my last few dogs. Now, they run around in circles to convince me to let them go. If they still don't respond well, you might get your vet's opinion.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:26 pm

GunDogAdventures wrote:I'd suggest giving them a few trips to get used to it before resorting to a dosage. As I recall, the first few trips are exciting and took a while to get used to for my last few dogs. Now, they run around in circles to convince me to let them go. If they still don't respond well, you might get your vet's opinion.
I have, she's rode with me a dozen times and has thrown up at least 8 of them. The last few times she throws up multiple times per trip.

Will

Post by Will » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:08 am

Start car rides when pup has empty stomach. Keep crate flat and stable....no rocking or shifting around. Short easy trips to start......4 or 5 miles at moderate speeds and no fast corners. After a couple of successful short trips, take her somewhere to play so she associates the ride with something good.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 am

Why make the pup suffer and get dehydrated with the puking and drooling?

My young setter was like that and got sick on the shortest rides; on the long ones it was horrible for him. He just couldn't get acclimated. He was about 30 pounds and he got one tablet of the nondrowsy Dramamine. It fixed him up, he didn't seem loopy from it, and he has done pretty well since.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 am

I usually do 1 mg per lb with Benedryl, which is pretty similar to dramamine.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:55 pm

I've been car , boat, bus , elevator, roller coaster sick all my life. It's an inner ear balance thing. The key is to be able to focus on the horizon. Strap the dog into the front seat or raise the kennel in the back.

First date with a guy was to go to the fair. Threw up all the way home. He still married me. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 pm

The dramamine worked for her. We hit the lake today to work on her water work and it was a pukeless ride!