Summer Heat

Bounty_Hunter

Summer Heat

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am

Just wondering what temps would be off limits to running or hunting a dog during summer heat? I usually only run my dog early morning or late evening just before dark during the summer heat. Humidity can also be tough on both of us here in the North East even if there is no sun. I also try to run him near a water source so he can drink and cool off.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Summer Heat

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Had a dog go down yesterday. It wasn't that hot in degrees but humidity was high. Reminded me to be more cautious and have lots of water available - which I did thankfully. (She's fine to day.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:49 pm

I absolutely agree with early morning and late evening near water. Even here around our fenced yard in Central PA I keep several buckets of water scattered here and there and freshen them up every few hours. I try to limit her strenuous activity when she's in the yard, but we've got a ton of bunnies here that she loves to chase. To be honest, I haven't worked her much at all the last few weeks.

Chet

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:58 pm

When temps get into the upper 80s or 90s I don't run him so to get exercise I take him in our pool but I have to hold his collar so he cant scratch the liner. He really likes the water. If I could teach him to use the ladder I'd have it made. :lol:

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:54 am

We run in the morning and afternoon but we also let the dogs out in a 1/2 acre paddock in the middle of the day when it's hot to do as they please for about an hour and it has made a huge difference as far as them handling the heat.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:47 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:When temps get into the upper 80s or 90s I don't run him so to get exercise I take him in our pool but I have to hold his collar so he cant scratch the liner. He really likes the water. If I could teach him to use the ladder I'd have it made. :lol:
I can't remember where I saw them, but ramps and ladder type things can be found that let dogs go in and out of pools without damaging the liner.

Chet

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Its been 100+ here for a few weeks and mine run 12 miles every morning...Its 90+ when they run. Ive run Field Trials at 90+ also. Conditioning them is the key.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm

I agree that conditioning them is key - and I'm working on a pup to go to summer camp now. But I'd trade you our 80 degree days with 95% humidity any day for a TX or NM "dry heat." I miss the desert and the sheer lack of humidity. I don't know how it affects dogs because I didn't get into them when I was in NM, but am trying to condition two for the fall field trial season right now and I haven't gotten much past about 6 miles right now. Maybe I'm being too cautious.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I agree that conditioning them is key - and I'm working on a pup to go to summer camp now. But I'd trade you our 80 degree days with 95% humidity any day for a TX or NM "dry heat." I miss the desert and the sheer lack of humidity. I don't know how it affects dogs because I didn't get into them when I was in NM, but am trying to condition two for the fall field trial season right now and I haven't gotten much past about 6 miles right now. Maybe I'm being too cautious.
We don't have dry heat here... Its been over 100 degrees with 90+ humidity. Shorten the sessions and increase them if you can.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

I agree that conditioning sounds like a must if you hunt or do trials in warm weather. I don't do trials but I do hunt in warm weather since the start of our hunting season can still be in the 80s. My dog usually will show signs of fatigue after 5 or 6 miles in hot weather unless there is a cool water source he can use. I don't push him because I usually don't hunt long if its hot. He makes up his run time when temps drop to 70 or less.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm

a little off topic, but still in the discussion of heat. my dog has been extra lethargic as of late (2 weeks). I'm in ny and its been getting fairly hot and humid. 80-90 during the day. i was taking him out everyday to run at the dog park and then swim at the creek behind it for about 2 hours at a time. for those 2 hours he would run and swim non stop. after about a week of this he has just been sleeping for the majority of the day. this has been going on now for about 2 weeks. within the last 2 weeks i have taken him out about 5-6 times to get some runs and swimming in. i got nervous about his lack of energy and took him to the vet. vet checked him and said everything was fine. no fever or swollen glands. he has the lyme vaccine so she opted to not do blood work since it would show up positive for lyme on top of the fact he had no symptoms. he has his appetite and he is going to the bathroom normal. has this happened to any of your dogs?

little background:
he is 1 year old male gsp. I am a teacher so during the day he is home and i try to get him out for a little exercise a few times at night and obv on the weekends. his lack of energy coincides with me being on vacation. could it be that he just isn't used to activity during the day and his body is worn out? the vet said she has the same experience with another teacher whose dog was just not used to the constant activity.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Its been my own experience that when these dog days of summer move in I find that I don't run my dog as often as during other seasons and between the lack of exercise and the heat he tends to lay down and rest more but he does let me know when enough is enough and will start to pace and whine when he needs some out time. Not much change in his appetite either.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

This helps here in the AZ heat to keep em cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.