4mo pup...no shots

jahwarrior1423

4mo pup...no shots

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm

I recently acquired a 4mo old lab/German Shepard mix. Last owner was not so great and I was given the pup. What would be the ideal thing to do with first shots? Can I just start a 5n1? Should I deworm the pup? If so, how should I follow the deworm process and which brand deworm pills do you guys recommend?...the pup looked a bit skinny for my liking so I am wanting to wait until she gains a bit of weight before I start shots and so forth. Hoping you guys can lead me the right direction. Thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: 4mo pup...no shots

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Wouldn't want to say. I'd ask a real vet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 pm

I'd have her checked for heartworm---if the guy didn't give puppy shots, then he probably didn't give heartworm prevention which needs to be given monthly during mosquito season :x I'd go ahead and give her a 7 way puppy shot--you will need to follow that up with another in about 3 weeks. If you take her in to the vet for a heartworm test---take a stool sample with you and the vet will tell you if you need to worm her. Good luck with the new pup :D

zrp

Post by zrp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Get the vaccinations started and booster in three weeks. The HW test will be negative at this age so just begin a preventative. Depending on which brand you choose, these will take care of most intestinal worms as well.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:26 pm

zrp wrote:Get the vaccinations started and booster in three weeks. The HW test will be negative at this age so just begin a preventative. Depending on which brand you choose, these will take care of most intestinal worms as well.
The pup is 4 months old---it only takes a little more than a month for heartworms to mature---that is why you give heartworm meds once a month during mosquito season to kill the young in the blood stream before they mature. Check for heartworms before you start preventative. JMO

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:04 pm

zrp

Post by zrp » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 am

deseeker wrote:
zrp wrote:Get the vaccinations started and booster in three weeks. The HW test will be negative at this age so just begin a preventative. Depending on which brand you choose, these will take care of most intestinal worms as well.
The pup is 4 months old---it only takes a little more than a month for heartworms to mature---that is why you give heartworm meds once a month during mosquito season to kill the young in the blood stream before they mature. Check for heartworms before you start preventative. JMO
The heartworm test will be negative. Begin preventative now and test in 6 months. The commercially available tests test for female, adult heartworms. I also make a smear to look for microfilaria, which come after you have adult heartworms. It is conceivable that there could be microfilaria if the dam was positive, but there will not be adult heartworms in a 16 week old puppy. There is a stage at which the test will be negative (no adults) but the preventatives will not consistently kill the larval worms, thus the test in a few months

jahwarrior1423

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Can I give ivermectin as my preventative for a puppy?...is it safe to use deworming pills on my pup at this age if I haven't tested for heart worm?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07 am

Living in a dry climate like Arizona you're chances of the pup having heartworm are lower. If you're trying to save money use the doc Roy's roundworm remover from Walmart 5cc per 10 lbs. Parvo is what I'd worry most about and the shots at the feed store take a long time to offer full protection. Follow through with all three even though mutts are pretty durable. Do them every 16 days and don't wait for day 29 to get it done.
If a person who is hesitant to spend the money on heartworm testing what is the chance of them spending the money on treatment if it is found?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:06 pm

gotpointers wrote:Living in a dry climate like Arizona you're chances of the pup having heartworm are lower. If you're trying to save money use the doc Roy's roundworm remover from Walmart 5cc per 10 lbs. Parvo is what I'd worry most about and the shots at the feed store take a long time to offer full protection. Follow through with all three even though mutts are pretty durable. Do them every 16 days and don't wait for day 29 to get it done.
If a person who is hesitant to spend the money on heartworm testing what is the chance of them spending the money on treatment if it is found?
That is a quick way to have dogs with heartworms..There are some pretty heavy pockets of heartworm in AZ from people moving here with dogs that have heartworms

What people do not understand Ivermectin or any of the other heartworms meds do not Prevent heartowrm They only kill what the dog has been exposed to for the previous 30 what ever days it was from the last time they were given heartworm meds. So if dog get heartworm med day 1 day 4 gets bit by infested mosquito those transferred warms have until the next dose of heartwormer to grow.

one can go to the American Heartworm Association page to learn how heartworm are transfered and mature and also the process to which adult heartworm are treated.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 am

zrp wrote:
deseeker wrote:
The heartworm test will be negative. Begin preventative now and test in 6 months. The commercially available tests test for female, adult heartworms. I also make a smear to look for microfilaria, which come after you have adult heartworms. It is conceivable that there could be microfilaria if the dam was positive, but there will not be adult heartworms in a 16 week old puppy. There is a stage at which the test will be negative (no adults) but the preventatives will not consistently kill the larval worms, thus the test in a few months
+1

frontline

Post by frontline » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:36 pm

A puppy that is >16 weeks old does not need a "series" of shots, just one should do because at that age there are no maternal antibodies remaining. A puppy should be healthy when receiving vaccinations. The safest way is to have your vet give the vaccine because improper handling and storage of vaccines can make them useless, you have no idea how that vaccine was handled or stored en-route to or at your TSC or farm store. Vaccinations are very inexpensive at a vet and if there is an adverse reaction the manufacturer will provide support.

Helpful link: http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html