Pregnant Female - feeding?

nanney1

Pregnant Female - feeding?

Post by nanney1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:17 pm

All of my dogs are on an adult food, though it is listed as an ALS food. 21% protein. I think my female will come into season within the next two weeks and I plan to breed her. For years she was on a 30/20 performance ALS formula, but as she got a little older, I transitioned her onto the basic food that my older dogs were on.

At this point, I'm considering my options:

1. Keep her on the current food and up the amounts as needed closer to whelp. And only switch back if there is an issue with milk production.
2. Keep her on the current food and switch her back to the 30/20 in weeks 5-6 of pregnancy.
3. Switcher her back to the 30/20 once she is bred.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pregnant Female - feeding?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 pm

What you are talking about is just the percentage of the total feed that is fat and protein. How much she gets daily is strictly dependent on how much she eats. There is no need to change feeds and you don't need to increase the amount till the three or four weeks if she wants more. Like always you feed according to her condition.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Pregnant Female - feeding?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:43 pm

I keep my breeding females on the same portion up until they have their pups then I put them on self feeding (always keep their bowls full) until we start the weaning process then I cut back on the feed. I always keep the water bowl full too.