Fleas

czeger

Fleas

Post by czeger » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 am

What are you using to kill fleas we have tried frontline and another from walmart I can't remember text name our gsp has a few and can't seem to get rid of them

big swill

Re: Fleas

Post by big swill » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:54 am

I just recently put all of my dogs on a newer oral flea treatment called Nexguard. It's sort of like Comfortis. It treats fleas as well as ticks (I don't know if Comfortis treats ticks). The reason I went with Nexguard is because you can use it in conjunction with ivermectin, unlike Comfortis. The active ingredient in Comfortis is spisonad, which doesn't work well with ivermectin, especially off label uses. Nexguard is made my the makers of Heartguard. My vet told me that all of the clients that use ivermectin off label have been very happy with the Nexguard, as am I. It's pricey, but I've spent a ton of money on everything else so it's worth it to me at this point.

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:03 am

Just recently used bravecto. Kills fleas and ticks for 12 weeks. It is oral chewable, i dont like topicals.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Advantix 2- haven't seen a flea in years.
Where you live(?) is the deciding factor in how many months you apply it. April - Oct where I live.

( If they are in your house, living off humans too, you may need to get your house exterminated- the fleas not the house. )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Sharon wrote:Advantix 2- haven't seen a flea in years.
Where you live(?) is the deciding factor in how many months you apply it. April - Oct where I live.

( If they are in your house, living off humans too, you may need to get your house exterminated- the fleas not the house. )
+1.

K9 Advantix II here as well.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:49 pm

SubMariner wrote:

+1.

Seresto Collar made by Bayer like Advantix, even better though and much cheaper.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Unfortunately not available in Canada yet. I'm always glad when they try things out in the USA first, to see if they work - like flea preventatives and marijuana. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:38 am

MonsterDad wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

+1.

Seresto Collar made by Bayer like Advantix, even better though and much cheaper.
My dogs already wear two collars in the field, so I really don't see adding a third. Also, our guys wind up with hairless areas on their necks if collars are left on constantly.

I like being able to put the stuff on the dogs every 45 days that's it; no other muss or fuss.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 am

When fleas get bad and I may have some in the house after a bad flea season I use the Adams products in addition to the spot treatment on the dogs.

I use the generic fipronil (pet Armor) from Tractor supply....
Adams flea and tick mist and,
Adams flea and tick carpet spray.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:54 am

every month my dogs get six cc's of bayer tree & shrub behind there neck ..and I have never seen a flea or mite on any of them ...same active ingredient as advantix ...one bollle at 19.00 last years

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 pm

smittty wrote:every month my dogs get six cc's of bayer tree & shrub behind there neck ..and I have never seen a flea or mite on any of them ...same active ingredient as advantix ...one bollle at 19.00 last years
Did google search on this product and was amazed how many are using it. Don't think I would say as much as Ivomectin once a month for heartworm.

But looks like a lot of the hound guys are using it, along with their house dogs.

My question would be how does it smell?

What doses are you using?
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:43 pm

smittty wrote:every month my dogs get six cc's of bayer tree & shrub behind there neck ..and I have never seen a flea or mite on any of them ...same active ingredient as advantix ...one bollle at 19.00 last years
Merit is Imicloprid?(sp), the ingredient in the Tree and Shrub but Advantix has Permethrin also so I doubt there the same thing.

Ike

Post by Ike » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 pm

big swill wrote:I just recently put all of my dogs on a newer oral flea treatment called Nexguard. It's sort of like Comfortis. It treats fleas as well as ticks (I don't know if Comfortis treats ticks). The reason I went with Nexguard is because you can use it in conjunction with ivermectin, unlike Comfortis. The active ingredient in Comfortis is spisonad, which doesn't work well with ivermectin, especially off label uses. Nexguard is made my the makers of Heartguard. My vet told me that all of the clients that use ivermectin off label have been very happy with the Nexguard, as am I. It's pricey, but I've spent a ton of money on everything else so it's worth it to me at this point.
Same here. Been on the Nexguard for 7mo now. Very satisfied!

big swill

Post by big swill » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Ike wrote:
big swill wrote:I just recently put all of my dogs on a newer oral flea treatment called Nexguard. It's sort of like Comfortis. It treats fleas as well as ticks (I don't know if Comfortis treats ticks). The reason I went with Nexguard is because you can use it in conjunction with ivermectin, unlike Comfortis. The active ingredient in Comfortis is spisonad, which doesn't work well with ivermectin, especially off label uses. Nexguard is made my the makers of Heartguard. My vet told me that all of the clients that use ivermectin off label have been very happy with the Nexguard, as am I. It's pricey, but I've spent a ton of money on everything else so it's worth it to me at this point.
Same here. Been on the Nexguard for 7mo now. Very satisfied!
Nice to know you're still happy with it 7 months in. I've tried everything for the last couple of years to no avail. That includes Advantix 2 and all the off brand topicals. So far the Nexguard is working great!

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Found lots of info about people using this and ave very happy with it. This was one that explained the best the dosage.
I use the ortho max tree and shrub. It has the same active ingredent as advantage and works great. I had been struggling with fleas all year. Used it and have really slowed them down dramaticaly. So this is what I use.

Advantage® is a 9.1 percent solution of imidacloprid for topical application in dogs and cats. It is supplied in the form of applicator tubes in 4- or 6-packs.

K9 Advantix® contains imidacloprid (same concentration as above) combined with permethrin. This product is only for use in dogs.

Dosing Information

Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

The dose of imidacloprid is based on the weight of the dog. Tubes/pipettes are available in sizes of 0.4 ml (for dogs under 10 pounds), 1 ml (for dogs 11 to 20 pounds), 2.5 ml (for dogs 21 to 55 pounds), and 4 ml (for dogs over 55 pounds). One tube of appropriate size should normally be applied topically every 30 days.

For cats, tubes/pipettes are available in sizes of 0.4 ml (for cats and kittens under 9 pounds) and 0.8 ml (for cats and kittens over 9 pounds). The medication is normally applied once monthly.

Imidacloprid can be used more frequently than every 30 days in severe infestations but it should not be applied more frequently than once a week.

The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed otherwise by your veterinarian. Even if your pet appears to feel better, the entire treatment program should be completed to prevent resurgence of the infestation.

now, I'm not a vet or a scientist, BUT if the dosage is based on the imidacloprid being 9.1% and the stuff in the Ortho Max Tree and Shrub is 1.47% then that means it is about 6.19x stronger. so if I take the dosages shown and multiply them by 6.19 this is the result:

Advantage Ortho Max Tree & Shrub
0.4 ml (for dogs under 10 pounds) 2.476ml
1 ml (for dogs 11 to 20 pounds) 6.19ml
2.5 ml (for dogs 21 to 55 pounds) 15.476ml
4 ml (for dogs over 55 pounds) 24.76ml

I plan on using about 15ml for most of my dogs (most are around 40-45 pounds on my yard). Also, the directions on the Bayer site for Advantage say to apply to the belly if possible but you can also start at the tail and apply with the syringe up towards the neck trying to keep in contact with the skin since it works through skin oil absorption.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 am

To save some money I switched to Sentry Fiproguard and have seen 1 tick on my lab in the last 6 months. It's worked good for me.

5andaback

Post by 5andaback » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 am

May want to treat your yard and or kennel. Dog could be picking up fresh fleas daily.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:26 am

Lots of good products available... just remember, whatever you decide to use, there is NO product that will kill the fleas over in the corner of the room or kennel! they have to get on the dog in order to come into contact with the insecticide (thats where they are gonna be anyway, becuase they just dont live very long without a host). SO, dont call your vet 3 days after you treat the dog and complain that you found a few fleas on him. And if you have a substantial flea population, it will take 3-4 months of regular dosing to totally get rid of them. :)

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 am

Just got back from Walmart, Lowe's and Tractor Supply. Could not find the Ortho Max Tree and Shrub that I've been using the past couple of years for flea control.

I did find Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub at all three stores. However, it noted "protect and feed". Looks like they added fertilizer. I saw nitrogen as an ingredient.

There were a few other Bayer products with imidacloprid, but the dosage was lower and there were other ingredients I wasn't sure about.

Not sure what to get at this point. May have to order online.

smittty

Post by smittty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:58 pm

nanney1 wrote:Just got back from Walmart, Lowe's and Tractor Supply. Could not find the Ortho Max Tree and Shrub that I've been using the past couple of years for flea control.

I did find Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub at all three stores. However, it noted "protect and feed". Looks like they added fertilizer. I saw nitrogen as an ingredient.

There were a few other Bayer products with imidacloprid, but the dosage was lower and there were other ingredients I wasn't sure about.

Not sure what to get at this point. May have to order online.
its hard to find on the shelves these days without the fertilizer.but you can find it online ....on a good note when you get it it will last a few years