urinating in kennel

magspa

urinating in kennel

Post by magspa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 am

My GSP is will be 3 in Sep..She is spayed and has been house/crate trained since she a little pup. Recently she started peeing in her kennel. Suspected UTI so the Vet put her on antibiotics. 7days into the meds and she is still doing it. Usually once a day, in the evening. I going to take her back in 3 days when the meds complete but figured id ask on here for some opinions. We also took in mixed foster dog in May, he is about 9months now, an intact male. So. could this be a territorial thing? would a clean dog would pee in their den purposely? Her and he new dog get along great. They play rough, but no aggression or dominance issues.Sometimes in the evening when were watching tv we'll hear her licking. So i go check and shes licking up her pee, so this tells me she doesnt want t in the crate. Any opinions please?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: urinating in kennel

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 am

Depends on the size of the kennel and how long they stay in it. Could also be territorial if the timing coincided with the new dog. Isn't that why we have kennels anyway?

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am

it is an intermediate size crate. Usually just 3-4 hrs cause my wife only works part-time and i come home for lunch.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 am

Ask your vet about spay incontinence. Lack of hormones loosens up the plumbing and urine leaks out. Meds can helps a lot, either hormone replacement or Proin.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 am

" could this be a territorial thing? would a clean dog would pee in their den purposely? " quote

Yes and yes. , but it should pass with a time.... how long??/

I have a JRT pup lifting his leg in the other dogs' kennels in the house right now,saying, "This is mine, and this is mine and......." but he is totally housebroken Lovely isn't it. :(
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:45 pm

She has been doing this for about 3 weeks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Are the kennels side by side? What about moving her kennel to another area? It might help.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Dogs don't mark with a full pee then lay in it. Something's going on physiologically.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

they are about 4-5 feet apart, on each end of computer desk. Sometimes it is just a little bit but other times has been more than just trickles. And she will lick it up usually.

frontline

Post by frontline » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

shags wrote:Dogs don't mark with a full pee then lay in it. Something's going on physiologically.
I agree, this isn't a marking issue but does sound like spay incontinence. Was a urine analysis done to look for other issues? Unfortunately putting the dog on antibiotics and seeing how she responds isn't the way to diagnose a UTI. It's possible the wrong antibiotics were used or a longer course might be needed. To know for sure a culture should be done.

If it hasn't been done yet, take a urine sample in for a urine analysis. I would rule out a UTI or other causes first before putting a dog on hormones. If it is spay incontinence you might want to experiment with dosing, some dogs are well maintained on different dosing regimens, ie. every other day, every few days or even once a week dosing. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Forget my posts ; the above is the one to go with. :)

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:41 am

no i did not bring a urine sample. I will do that fri, her last day of antibiotics. Actually the vet told me if the antibiotics dont work, to bring her in for a x-ray..Not sure what he is trying to diagnose, but I hope he isnt trying to run useless tests just to charge me. The urine sample makes a lot more sense to me. Or some blood work to check hormone levels. thanks for all the info everyone.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 am

I really don't understand this pervasive suspicion that every test a vet runs is simply to pad a bill. Vets are not magicians nor do they have crystal balls nor do they have telepathic powers that enable conversations with their patients;they are professionals who sometimes need to utilize technology in order to take the guesswork out of treating them.

Radiographs can show stones, bladder position, the existence of neoplasms and kidneys and ureters.

You want answers, sometimes you need to rule out questions :roll:

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 am

Sorry, I wasnt accusing vets. Just saying I hope he isn't because it seems like a urine analysis would have been a good initial suggestion or blood work..when I think of xray I think of skelatel system, but i am far from being a doctor. Every doctor has different techniques and I realize that.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 am

shags wrote:I really don't understand this pervasive suspicion that every test a vet runs is simply to pad a bill. Vets are not magicians nor do they have crystal balls nor do they have telepathic powers that enable conversations with their patients;they are professionals who sometimes need to utilize technology in order to take the guesswork out of treating them.

Radiographs can show stones, bladder position, the existence of neoplasms and kidneys and ureters.

You want answers, sometimes you need to rule out questions :roll:

Not criticizing to the original poster at all , but this is so true everywhere Shags. LOL Well said.

Had my dog step on a hornet's nest last night , and leg swelled to double in size, from hip to toes. I didn't know what had happened. Dog had had a TPLO last year so I was afraid of the worst. Dog was suffering - in terrible pain- so I went to the emergency clinic.
$500 for examination, xrays , 3 meds. and removing the stingers.

If that had happened to me , it would have cost maybe the same , but of course I just hand over my insurance card and never really know the cost. If we had to pay up front for ourselves , we would have a better understanding of vet fees.

PS Let us know what the problem turns out to be magspa.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am

magspa wrote:no i did not bring a urine sample. I will do that fri, her last day of antibiotics. Actually the vet told me if the antibiotics dont work, to bring her in for a x-ray..Not sure what he is trying to diagnose, but I hope he isnt trying to run useless tests just to charge me. The urine sample makes a lot more sense to me. Or some blood work to check hormone levels. thanks for all the info everyone.
I agree that every test a vet runs is not to simply pad a bill but simple less harmful tests should be done first. I too would be upset if my vet rushed to an x-ray before ruling out more common issues utilizing basic tests. Your vet should explain what they hope to find out with any test, if not, ask! If your vet is reluctant to discuss this, change vets. There is usually more than one way to skin a cat and if a test or procedure is invasive or expensive ask if there is an alternate test or method to obtain the needed information.

Did your vet say to bring her back so soon? If you bring her back on her last day on antibiotics her tests for bacteria won't be diagnostic. You should wait at least 3 days (optimally 5) for the antibiotic to clear her system and give bacteria a chance to come back. If the course of antibiotics was successful the bacteria shouldn't come back.

Your vet may not want a urine sample from home. When checking for bacteria it's common to extract some urine via a needle (cystocentesis) because otherwise the sample can be contaminated. This method of sample collection shouldn't cost much if anything.

And finally, if your girl has recurrent UTI's the cause could be a tucked or recessed vulva. Dogs with this anatomical variation should be allowed to go through one heat (at least) prior to spaying, doing so will correct the condition. If she has a tucked vulva and is already spayed a daily cranberry cap will help to prevent UTI's.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:57 am

Magspa, from the symptoms you describe this really doesn't sound like a UTI. A simple urine analysis should help rule out some issues. Since she's been on antibiotics don't recheck too soon and ask your vet to communicate their thoughts on what they think could be going on and how to proceed. Quite often people tell their vet what they think is wrong with their pet and the vet complies with the desired treatment. Tell the vet the symptoms and let them figure it out, that's what your paying them for.

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:14 am

he did not give a date to bring back, he just said "bring her back for an x-ray if the antibiotic doesnt work." I will call and let him no there has not been any progress and see what he recommends. I will also ask about the recessed vulva when i bring her back.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm

is her water consumption normal?

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 pm

yes. no change in water consumption.

magspa

Post by magspa » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:29 am

no success with antibiotic. Went to vet today. Got 14 day RX of proin. if this works then when we know it is sphincter issue.