Metamucil or ?

Scott Linden

Metamucil or ?

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Maybe you've had the same situation occur - your old dog takes longer and longer to um, you know, poop. The poor guy looks embarassed at holding us up on our walks! Pumpkin seems to be the most often recommended cure, but would a fiber supplement like Metamucil do "the job?" Other veterinary sites speak highly of it, but some real world experience would be helpful. Ever used it? Results?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Fun dog

Re: Metamucil or ?

Post by Fun dog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 pm

With our sleddogs we used it a lot. I bought it by the five gallon bucket. It helped keep the stools well formed even in stressful situations. The stress level in sleddogs is unbelievable. I have not found the need to use it with the bird dogs, but always have some on hand just in case.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:50 am

1 Heaping Tablespoon of Pure canned pumpkin + 1 Heaping tablespoon of a quality Yogurt (no flavors, no sugar) three times a week and all is well.
I think Nancy's brand or Stonyfield are the best ones.
Good for all dogs, not just the geriatric.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 am

is the dogs stool normal otherwise? just taking longer to pass it?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:32 am

Scott Linden wrote:Maybe you've had the same situation occur - your old dog takes longer and longer to um, you know, poop. The poor guy looks embarassed at holding us up on our walks! Pumpkin seems to be the most often recommended cure, but would a fiber supplement like Metamucil do "the job?" Other veterinary sites speak highly of it, but some real world experience would be helpful. Ever used it? Results?
Metamucil comes in a psyllium or citrus fiber formula. Either one is good. Pumpkin works but its a big fad nowadays.

You can buy a giant plastic jar of psyllium seed husk or citrus fiber for a lot less money and not have to bother with expensive cans of pumpkin.

Buy the generic, fiber is fiber is fiber.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm

When you're old taking as long as you want to poop is earned - that's what my husband tells me. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:43 pm

I was told to use pumpkin to eliminate the opposite problem? I would agree with the psyllium powder. I buy mine at Trader Joe's out here. It's not finely ground, so stand by when it kicks in. Just bought a container today.....for me. :mrgreen:

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Great information everyone. Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am

10Sam29 wrote:I was told to use pumpkin to eliminate the opposite problem?
Pumpkin is a "normalizer". Use it for diarrhea use it for constipation.
Canned pumpkin provides a nice environment for the beneficial bacteria in the gut to reproduce.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 am

Fiber in an older dog is important. What doesn't get mentioned is that water soluble fiber helps reduce stress on the liver and heart and stabilizes blood sugar.

RickB

Post by RickB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:11 pm

My dog is diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. Like rheumatoid arthritis, the body is attacking itself...in this instance, it is attacking the small intestine. As a result, my dog has less small intestine to absorb nutrients. Untreated, he is pretty runny.

In the process of figuring out a good regimen for the dog, we were feeding up to a half can of pumpkin at a time. Advantages of pumpkin were it had calories, and dogs often like the taste. My dog did not. Under my vets guidance, we phased out the pumpkin and increased his dosage of metamucil.

Metamucil brings the extremes to the middle. If you are too loose, it'll bind you up a bit. If too bound up, it'll loosen you up.

Performance feeds are often on the lower end of fiber.

I find metamucil easier to deliver, and cheaper in the long run. You get more fiber in a smaller dose. it can be stored on the shelf (pumpkin in the 'fridge). Pumpkin in the non-thanksgiving season can be pricey.

RickB

Post by RickB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Hey...one other thing...talk to a vet about it. If it is a male dog and intact, an enlarged prostate can affect defecation.