Word of advice on vet wrap

41magsnub

Word of advice on vet wrap

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 am

I love vet wrap for bandaging wounds and as "armor" around a dogs ankles under dog boots. However, I learned on Friday that it is really easy to get vet wrap on too tight.

Hunting on Friday I put boots on Maddie and forgot the ankle wrap under them. Her toes and pads were fine, but her ankles were fairly abraded. Her left front was bad enough that I felt the need to bandage it. So, I put on some EMT gel, a gauze pad, and some vet wrap mid afternoon. I checked her at bed time and everything looked good. Get up to go out hunting again Saturday and the paw below the bandage was massively swollen, almost as large as my hand. She would not put any weight on the foot. She was on the floor next to my bed all night and didn't make a sound or try to chew the bandage off. I removed the bandage and over the course of the day the paw returned to its normal size, by Saturday afternoon she was using the paw but still favoring it a little. Sunday she was back to normal.

I thought I was careful, but obviously I screwed up. We got lucky that there was no permanent damage, that could have cost her a leg.

So - my take away from this is to be double extra careful with vet wrap to make sure it is not too tight and if I bandage a dog overnight I will get up a few times and check on it.

Bad River

Re: Word of advice on vet wrap

Post by Bad River » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Stretch the wrap before you apply. This will prevent the wrap from being to tight.

zrp

Re: Word of advice on vet wrap

Post by zrp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 pm

It can happen quickly. Glad we're back to normal.