Lump from rabies vaccine?

Colleen

Lump from rabies vaccine?

Post by Colleen » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:48 pm

I noticed a lump on Fletch's back right side today, in pretty much the same spot he got his rabies shot a few days ago. It freaked me out till I remembered he'd had the shot there. I know a lot of shots they give people cause a muscle knot, so I was wondering if it was common to feel a lump that just feels like a knot in the muscle after a rabies vaccine?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:32 pm

Yep, it's normal for that to happen...that's the body's immune system kicking into gear. They generally disappear after a week or so. :D

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:52 am

Justus got his rabies vaccine last week too, and the lump stayed on his hip for several days. His lyme vaccine on the opposite side did the same thing. It's the first time he's had either, so I didn't think it was weird, just an expected reaction. My vet sent home a note that has all possible delayed reactions and how to treat them (most of which you just give the dog a Benadryl) so I saw it on the list and didn't think anything else of it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

tfbirddog2

lump

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:13 pm

Sassy, had a lump from her shot this year didn't notice till a few days after. I called the vet they said what country side said just the immune system working no worries.

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:26 am

Thanks. My vet always sends home descriptions of vaccines and side effects, etc, but I couldn't find the rabies one and all I kept finding online were legal statutes about rabies, nothin about side effects. So then I freaked out for a minute because I've seen a few Weims around here that get these weird fat-pocket lump growths on their sides and I would not have been happy if my boy started growing one of those!!