sneezing and coughing

33Scout

sneezing and coughing

Post by 33Scout » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Took my dog hunting last night and has been sneezing and coughing ever since the hunt. Seems like he has someing caught in his nose or throat.. Took him to the vet and she says it is common and give me an anti inflammatory and antibiotics. Said I can still hunt him. She says it is tracheal irritation. Anyone have any experience with this?

Doc E

Re: sneezing and coughing

Post by Doc E » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:07 pm

I hope your Vet is right.
A weed seed (awn) can cause the same symptoms, but can end up in a bad situation.
And -- Why an antibiotic without a bacterial infection ?
I'd get an opinion from a different Vet.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:56 am

I have no clue about any of this stuff.. I was just wondering if it was as common as she says it is.. I don't wanna be negative because the vet is way more of an expert in this than I am.. I just wanted to see if it is as common as it was explained to me.. I am hoping someone here has experienced a similar situation with there dog..

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:08 pm

IME if the dogs are running where it's really dusty and dry, they get over any coughing and sneezing - usually it's reverse sneezing - pretty quick, usually soon after a good drink of water.
If they've been running anywhere with lots of weed seeds and dried vegetative junk, and are coughing or gagging, I give them a slice of bread or two to help push down any plant trash they might have caught in the throat ( also do this if they seem to have something stuck after they've tried ro pull stickers out their coats).
Coughing and sneezing that lasts overnight, they go to the vet. And he checks the nostrils and throat with his little light thingie to see if anything is stuck somewhere. If he he didn't check, I'd insist on it and not rely on a best guess about irritation. Just a cough, or just sneezing, maybe...but both together would have me wanting it looked into further.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Ha she been around other dogs or boarded recently ? Kennel cough?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:37 am

Hunted him hard all weekend. No coughing or sneezing at all. Vet ended up being right. I guess the antibiotics help him out. He is tired. He hasn't hunted this hard in a while. I can already tell that he is getting into shape..

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 am

Do a bit of research on Nocardia and keep the symptoms in your mind as you hunt your dog throughout the year. This is a real problem and can be a killer for sure. Just keep in mind that a cough may be more than just a cough sometimes.