My dogs paw

Dash_9

My dogs paw

Post by Dash_9 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:06 pm

I had my dog out tuesday in the field for a few hours, nothing out of the ordinary. I went to work tuesday night, and when I came home wednesday morning, her paw was all swollen and she wouldn't put any weight on it. Thursday the selling had gone down and she was waking on it just fine, but this spot looked a bit raw. I looked it over good with a bright light, but couldn't find anything stuck in her paw. I soaked it in epson salt and put a little neosporin on it. Today is friday and this is what it what it looks like. Her paw isn't swollen and she walks on it just fine, but it doesn't look good. She was licking a lot yesterday but not so much today. The area between her toes is puffed up. My buddy thinks that there was something in there and she dug it out herself. Anyone have any ideas or ever seen this before? I think she's headed to the vet. It doesn't have any puss or anything either.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: My dogs paw

Post by wems2371 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 am

I'd agree that something was probably in there. If she's walking okay and it's not swollen any more, I'd just keep doing the neosporin.

Sorry if the pic is huge, but this is one my dog had. She wasn't really lame but had swelling between the toes. Took her to the vet and she couldn't squeeze anything out. Sure enough the next day the dog kept licking and out came a 1/2 " thorn. I think the photo is from the night before she got it out, but I can't remember.
DSC05186_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks wems. Looks the exact same. After some digging around on the net, I finally found a picture and it appears to be an "interdigital cyst". Supposedly salt soaks and athletes foot cream. Only problem is she'll just lick it off. How long did it take for that to go away?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm not a vet but I've seen MANY of these:

- interdigital cyst . normal position too.

Seldom has anything to do with something being in the foot..... It's bacteria. Some dogs get them often ; some never get them. I have a setter who gets one every 6+- months.
You do need to get the proper antibiotic from the vet , ( Clinacin works great for my dog.) to clear it up more quickly. Epsom salt soaks in warm water+ off the shelf antibiotic will eventually clear it up but why wait?
Dog will need a lampshade collar to keep him from licking and a plastic foot cover when he goes outside. It's a pain in the ...........but necessary. If you have more than one dog in the house you have to keep them separate, or the other dog will keep licking it. Been there many times. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks Sharon. You may not be a vet, but you're more qualified than me. I can try the vet on monday as they have been closed since thursday for thanksgiving. It looks "better" than it did but it's far from cleared up.

No hunting til this thing is gone? I sat her out friday and tried to slip out the door unnoticed...but she was real upset when I walked in the door later on with my gun and vest and whatnot. Now shes chomping at the bit.

Oh yeah, and she's 4 years old and has never had one.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:25 pm

As I recall, and that photo is about 2 years old, it healed up pretty fast after the foreign object came out. It might've taken a week before all of the swelling disappeared and the skin shrank back. I don't really recall her licking it much, other than when she worked the stick out--kind of like she knew it was ready to pop. I went back to my hard drive where the above photo came from and found a photo taken a minute later, that shows what came out. It's amazing with a stick that size, that we couldn't find a hole in as a clue. The vet nor I could get any puss out with this either on our visit.

All foot issues I've ever had have been foreign objects, even had a stick slide up a nail bed. Toe swelled up and it popped out along the nail a few days later.

Good luck and hopefully you can get her back to hunting soon!
DSC05190_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Dash_9 wrote:Thanks Sharon. You may not be a vet, but you're more qualified than me. I can try the vet on monday as they have been closed since thursday for thanksgiving. It looks "better" than it did but it's far from cleared up.

No hunting til this thing is gone? I sat her out friday and tried to slip out the door unnoticed...but she was real upset when I walked in the door later on with my gun and vest and whatnot. Now shes chomping at the bit.

Oh yeah, and she's 4 years old and has never had one.
Your choice. I don't run them till the cyst is 90% cleared up. They'd go on two legs, but sometimes we have to do what is best for them. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 am

Just got back from the vet with her. It was an interdigital cyst indeed. 2 weeks no hunting. They prescribed Simplicef plus continued salt soaks, and shes got a cone collar to keep her from licking. Very very bummed out pointer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:45 pm

That will be $200.00 please.:)

"I'm not a vet but I've seen MANY of these:

- interdigital cyst . normal position too.

Seldom has anything to do with something being in the foot..... It's bacteria. Some dogs get them often ; some never get them. I have a setter who gets one every 6+- months.
You do need to get the proper antibiotic from the vet , ( Clinacin works great for my dog.) to clear it up more quickly. Epsom salt soaks in warm water+ off the shelf antibiotic will eventually clear it up but why wait?
Dog will need a lampshade collar to keep him from licking and a plastic foot cover when he goes outside. It's a pain in the ...........but necessary. If you have more than one dog in the house you have to keep them separate, or the other dog will keep licking it. Been there many times. :( quote Sharon

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:54 am

Sharon wrote:That will be $200.00 please.:)
While I haven't kept up on my exchange rates...$200 CDN has got to be like...what...$15 USD? Tell me where I can send the check.....er..cheque :D :D

But in all seriousness...It's been 24 hours since she got her cone on, and her paw already looks so much better.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:28 am

goodto hear its going to be alright so Canadian exchange rate is about .99 to the dollar right now so you better rite a bigger check LOL