Seizure/anaplasmosis/dead tail

ESS13

Seizure/anaplasmosis/dead tail

Post by ESS13 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm

My 5 year old female English springer spaniel just had a hypoglycemic seizure on 11/6/14. She had the episode in the field so I brought her to an emergency clinic. Low core temperature and low sugar levels. She then tested positive for anaplasmosis as well. She also had a bad case of cold tail/dead tail/limp tail on top of everything else. She has a few more days of 100mg of minocycline 2x's a day. I also gave her about 6 days worth of Metecam for her dead tail. She had around 7 days of full rest with walks for only bathroom with no work.

She seems to be drinking more water and urinating more as well. Urinates immediately upon going outside with ample amounts of urine and then numerous times with very little amounts of urine. I took a urine sample and dropped it off at the vet today. The vet used a quick test strip to dip into the urine to see if anything really stood out. No blood in urine but the urine was very dark with a distinct odor. The vet did not notice anything dramatic and I should have urine test results by tomorrow. It seems like my dog thinks about urinating and then does not while in the yard, almost like a half sit/squat type deal. No whining yelping or urinating in the house or crate.

She seems lethargic in the house and even training in the yard. She does not have that "pop" to her step but more like a methodical trot. She has been in the field twice since her episode and each time we are afield she has been fantastic. In the field she shows speed and the "pop" she is missing at home. She typically hunts 1 or 2 times a week. I am going to try and get her out on Sunday in the field. Around the yard she does all the work fine but is simply missing the "pop." In the house she seems to be just a little less "amped" up as well. She likes the couch and seems to snug in a little more than usual.

The urine tests will show if anything else is wrong but am I being paranoid? I seem to think everything is wrong with her now since her episode. Maybe a Urinary Tract Infection or simply is she getting used to all the rest? What do you guys think? I am like feaking out she will never be the same again. Will a urinary tract infection make them lethargic?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Seizure/anaplasmosis/dead tail

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 pm

"Will a urinary tract infection make them lethargic?
ESS13

Possibly. . Easy to get that checked out.

I would bet the lethargy is more connected to the tick disease than the seizure, but I am not a vet.

Anaplasmosis infection often causes lameness, joint pain, fever, lethargy, and inappetence.

Was the dog on a tick preventative?

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... -dogs/6962
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:54 am

Have you done any reading about anaplasmosis? A quick google came up with lots of info. Lethargy is a major symptom, some dogs exhibit urinary problems, and it can also cause seizures. Rarely kidney amd liver damage occur.
If it were my dog, she's be getting a workup at my regular vet office PDQ.

Good luck, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:23 am

I read about anaplasmosis but my dog has been on minocycline 100mgs 2 x's a day for nearly 30 days. Most information on anaplasmosis I read says symptoms should subside about 5-7 days after starting antibiotics. Has anyone had experince where the dog is still a little sluggish for a while after starting meds? 30-60 days after taking medication?