acupuncture

ESS13

acupuncture

Post by ESS13 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm

How many people have used a vet acupuncturist for a dog? If so, did you find the results were helpful?

zrp

Re: acupuncture

Post by zrp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:45 pm

As a vet, I have never used it. I do have a former co worker who is trained in it and has had some success. What condition are you treating? (If you don't mind me asking)

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Looking to help with some nervous issues in the rear end of my 5 year old springier. She has ivdd in t5 through t8 vertebra. Calcium deposits too with some spondolosis. Her left rear leg seems to not have the extension and her tail is held differently. Probably a pinched nerve in the spine from a burst disk. We are leash walking her only for 30 days and seeing if that helps.dOc. wants to give her some cortisone for 3 weeks to see if wencan reduce swelling around the nerve. We will see. I think time is really what helps best if I understand correctly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

My vet is pretty traditional ( an excellent) but swears by laser therapy/acupuncture for many things
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:03 pm

That's reassuring to hear. She will be fine i bet but it took a long time for the vets to find the primary problem. The symptoms are definitely mild since I had to argue with 2 different vets that something was amiss. They couldn't even tell by watching my dog. So from here on out i am looking to manage her ivdd. I just hope it stays fairly ok. When reading about ivdd on petmd.com it makes it sound very dramatic. Both vets I saw said this looks as if it can be managed by recognizing when my dog needs rest. Vets said basically the exploding disk in the spine eventually fixes itself in a way.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:04 pm

find a vet with a therapy laser that knows how to use it. it will help.

KingBishop3

Post by KingBishop3 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 pm

I have no experience with acupuncture/laser therapy with canines, but I HAVE seen it do truly amazing things with equines from my days at the racetrack. I see no reason why it wouldn't help dogs as well.