Low Protein recipes s

fishvik

Low Protein recipes s

Post by fishvik » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:39 am

My daughters cow dog has gall bladder problems. Anybody got any low protein recipes for home made dog food. I was thinking rice with watered down chicken broth.

DudeRN

Re: Low Protein recipes s

Post by DudeRN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 pm

for gall bladder problems, you want a lower fat diet. the gallbladder secretes bile for the digestion of fats. a classic sign of gallbladder disease is pain after eating, especially fatty foods. the challenge will be to find a diet that is low fat and has enough protein.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:10 pm

DudeRN wrote:for gall bladder problems, you want a lower fat diet. the gallbladder secretes bile for the digestion of fats. a classic sign of gallbladder disease is pain after eating, especially fatty foods. the challenge will be to find a diet that is low fat and has enough protein.
Right on. But I wouldn't be at all concerned about the protein amount for a mature dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:31 pm

There are commercial dog foods available that are lower in protein and fat. I can think of one that is 18% protein/8.5% fat that can be purchased at most grocery stores or big box retail stores - Alpo Prime Cuts Savory Beef. And I think that Gravy Train is a 17/8.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm

It seems a lot of people read the label guarantees and think when they buy a lower percent feed the dog is automatically getting less, That is not necessarily true. So often I hear someone saying they are feeding 4 cups of a 20/15 and their dog needs more fat and protein. So they spend the money and start feeding a 30/20 feed. Costs a lot more but they can cut the dog back to 2 cups per day and everything is wonderful now that the pup is getting more fat and protein. But is it? Of course not but they will swear that the pup is really looking good with a better coat and lots more energy. Folks it is a proven fact that most of us see what we are looking for and not what is really happening. This is why there are hundreds of dog foods and just as many marketing programs that are basically designed to make you conscious and observant to whatever they are selling and it works. We just need to back up sometimes and get our head screwed on straight and really study what we are doing and less on what we perceive if we are letting sales pitches or other people influence what we are feeding. There are many good dog foods that are so good you can't tell what they are eating by looking at them. We need to dig a little deeper sometimes but more often than not we need to just ease off and find something the dog likes and does well on, and basically that means like it, something always available, and something you can afford and have some change left to do something else with. Dogs eat most anything and do pretty good on most of it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks all for input.