Lump on GSP Chest/Leg Area

Lexus423

Lump on GSP Chest/Leg Area

Post by Lexus423 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Noticed a small marble sized lump on my 5 year old GSP last week. It is on the left side of his chest near where the shoulder/chest and neck meet. It is hard and movable. It has not changed size in a week. I am going to bring him to the vet but was curious if anyone has seen this. Thanks.

DudeRN

Re: Lump on GSP Chest/Leg Area

Post by DudeRN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:59 pm

it isn't painful to the dog when you touch it/move it? and no sign of any wound/drainage? it might be a swollen lymph node, which can be something relatively minor, or something more serious. either way, you should get the vet to check it out. good luck!

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:35 pm

He shows no sign of pain when i move it around.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:38 pm

MIne has had a large neck one and one on the leg too for several years. Vet says it is not a malignancy, but simply a fat blob. She didn't feel a biopsy was necessary, at the initial check up. See what your vet says.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Sharon wrote:MIne has had a large neck one and one on the leg too for several years. Vet says it is not a malignancy, but simply a fat blob. She didn't feel a biopsy was necessary, at the initial check up. See what your vet says.
Both of mine have them but have never felt the need to have them checked since they are not sore and are showing no sign of enlarging.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Exactly. Now if my dog's continued to enlarge so as to hamper breathing , they would have to be removed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:38 pm

my non-hunting dog is a 14 year old miniature poodle, and he has a small fatty tumor about the size of a quarter on the left side of his abdomen. it has been there for years, and hasn't changed in size. but it is more in the skin, doesn't really move around under the skin like I thought you were describing. your dog is probably fine, but t is worth mentioning the next time you're at the vet. it is probably nothing, but you want to be sure. and you want to get him to the vet sooner if it gets larger, becomes painful to touch, starts draining fluid, etc.

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone. Any idea how much I can expect to pay for its removal? I want to make sure sure I am not getting ripped off.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 pm

If you fears of being 'ripped off" you need to find a new vet. I wouldn't deal with a vet I didn't trust fully. Price will depend on how long the dog is under anaesthesia etc. etc..