IVDD

ESS13

IVDD

Post by ESS13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am

My 5 yr old springer spaniel was just diagnosed with disk disease. she has about 4 vertebrae in her thorax that have little cartilage between them and one has a prominent spur on it. all four look as if they have some sort of calcium deposit near them. Our vet prescribed Vetri Disk to help with regeneration of her cartilage and improve spine health. her symptoms now are mild and really only I can see the change in her gate and tail wag. she will still jump on couch and run upstairs willingly. as of recent bunny hopping on first propulsion or going upstairs. her tail wags lower now too. she is currently going on walks but no work whatsoever for the mean time. the reviews I read about this supplement are great and in some cases it says the dogs actually re generates the cartilage between vertebrae. Hopefully someone can say whether or not the reviews are true. I dont think surgery is the best option since 4 vertebrae are already effected and the disease is degenerative. Maybe we will incorporate acupuncture as well into our rehab.

Do people use this supplement and do they like it? what would you guys try?

Any other advice anyone could share with me would be great thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: IVDD

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:58 pm

I did a search , and could find nothing except reviews by people who sell the product. Very sorry to hear about your dog. From what I read though, it isn't going to do any harm - not cheap at 2 capsules a day for your dog probably. I hope it helps.

"VetriScience® Laboratories’ Vetri Disc combines bovine tracheal cartilage with amino acids, mineral sulfates, vitamins, pepsin, and natural silicon sources - all necessary for the support and maintenance of connective tissue. Bovine tracheal cartilage is a rich source of chondroitin sulfates which make up the connective tissue matrix and are found in an especially high concentration in the spinal and invertebrate disc tissues. Other ingredients like taurine and equisetum arvense are necessary for the synthesis of connective tissue, while minerals like calcium and magnesium support bone growth and maintenance. Zinc is necessary for tissue respiration and is also important in the body’s healing process. Amino acids like serine link the glycosaminoglycan structure to connective tissue proteins, and vitamins C and D support collagen production and calcium absorption, respectively." quote
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett